Thread: Anyone doing SD LS2/7 stuff

Advanced Tuner

Anyone doing SD LS2/7 stuff

I may be wrong but I havent seen anyone speak of SD tuning on the LS2/7 motors. Seems to be possible but I just havent tried it yet.

LS2 (E40) PCM has a VE table, but many torque related things go to default mode when the MAF fails. eg. A4's switch to default line pressure mode. Some tuners here is Australia have tuned M6 LS2's in SD successfully.

LS7 (E38) has no "regular" VE table.

We are working on solutions.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    LS2 (E40) PCM has a VE table, but many torque related things go to default mode when the MAF fails. eg. A4's switch to default line pressure mode. Some tuners here is Australia have tuned M6 LS2's in SD successfully.

Chris...
    So, does this mean that SD is not possible in an A4? Is there a problem with default line pressure with respect to only dialing in the VE table (i.e. if I am going to go back to MAF)?

Did the OL fueling table change axis values/units as well? In earlier OS's the table is in terms of ECT vs MAP. The tables I see have temperature on both scales/axis. Only one axis is labeled, and it indicates ECT. What is the other axis, IAT? That would be kind of scary. ECT and IAT could be the same value for many different 'loads' on the engine requiring significantly different AFR's. Hope somebody has an answer.

Tuner in Training
    I have been playing getting my LS2 M6 to run in speed density but I loose traction control everytime I do it - really pisses the wife off.

Looks like a cam and speed density is out of the question until a patch can be found to fix the problem.

I have heard rumours that the other guys have the problem licked and have even done some 2 bar stuff ready when it is released

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    I have heard rumours that the other guys have the problem licked and have even done some 2 bar stuff ready when it is released

1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

We don't need rumors for inspiration
    I count sheep in hex...

Chris...
    Couple questions:

1) Are the E38's only in LS7's? I have a 2006 LS2 vette file that does not have a VE table.

2) Can you give a brief explanation of the "irregular" VE table? i.e Did GM change their MAF as primary and VE as backup methodology (your opinion)?

3) In an earlier post, I asked about the OL fueling tables in these new OS's. It is as simple as working both the "Open Loop Eq Ratio" table and the "Airflow Gain vs MAP vs RPM" to achieve target AFR's? BTW, what is the vertical axis on the "Airflow Gain" table?

1. E38 is in 06 Holden, 06 Vette (LS2 & LS7)

2. the E38 has more processing power than the e40 so they moved to a more advanced airflow prediction algo that uses a filter based approach (Ford use a similar method on their power pc PCMs). It's complex to explain but i will attempt it once I am comfortable with it and i have added the correct parameters to the editor.

3. yes you just multiply them all together. From memory the axis is estimated injector temperature or something like that.
    I count sheep in hex...

1. E38 is in 06 Holden, 06 Vette (LS2 & LS7)

2. the E38 has more processing power than the e40 so they moved to a more advanced airflow prediction algo that uses a filter based approach (Ford use a similar method on their power pc PCMs). It's complex to explain but i will attempt it once I am comfortable with it and i have added the correct parameters to the editor.

3. yes you just multiply them all together. From memory the axis is estimated injector temperature or something like that.
    Thanks for the quick response! Most of the values in the OL eq Table are "1" in normal operating temperature ranges for ECT. Any idea on when the table/parameters for SD with an E38 might be available?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Badassbird
    I may be wrong but I havent seen anyone speak of SD tuning on the LS2/7 motors. Seems to be possible but I just havent tried it yet.
    I do speed density on the manual cars with a custom over the radiator intake, just looses the TC, on the autos i generally fit the K&N intake kit and do a MAF tune on them,

Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1
    I do speed density on the manual cars with a custom over the radiator intake, just looses the TC, on the autos i generally fit the K&N intake kit and do a MAF tune on them,
    Pardon my ignorance, what does the type of intake have to do with tuning the vehicle in Speed Density? I was under the impression that Speed Density was an option over MAF for determining the mass flow of air (thus fuel can be calculated). This should be regardless of the components, should it not?

Tuner
    could they be testing something like this?

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516657
    98 Camaro, M6, HPTuners, heads and cam

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by superls1
    Pardon my ignorance, what does the type of intake have to do with tuning the vehicle in Speed Density?
    On many of the Aussie OTRCAIs, there's no room (or need) for an MAF between the throttle body and the radiator. I think that the reason that he puts an MAF and K&N intake on the auto cars is because of the shift pressure issue when automatic cars go into SD.
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06