Thread: 2006 vette vs 2005 GTO

Advanced Tuner

2006 vette vs 2005 GTO

I have a stock bin from an 06' vette. I was comparing the files, and some things will not compare, it won't let you. Why?

Can I use the PE and HO Spark maps from the vette in my car our are the cars to different? The vette runs ALOT of timing and ALOT of fuel (down to 11.7 AFR).
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

tables will only compare between OS's if they are of the same type and dimension.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Can someone comment on using the vette spark and fuel curves on a GTO? Would they work or is gearing and weight too different?

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    Can someone comment on using the vette spark and fuel curves on a GTO? Would they work or is gearing and weight too different?
    Why would you want to run any other spark table than the one your engine wants? There are way too many variables. You need a good load-based dyno and then you can determine your own spark map. Applying a vette table is really no different than buying a handheld tuner that simply adds X* of timing.

Advanced Tuner
    Its the same motor, I figured I could use the spark and fuel tables. Guess not.

Too many tables are different to just block copy from one to another. They are tuned differently as well. Holden (IIRC) tunes the GTO & GM Powertrain tunes the Vette.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Its the same motor, I figured I could use the spark and fuel tables. Guess not.
    Yeah, I wish it were that simple. You might be surprised at the differences found for even the same car bone stock. Just think about all the machine tolerances that could be ever so slightly different but affect swirl and mixture motion. Thus, timing might not be the same as one engine has a slightly better ability to burn the mixture. Obviously, GM (and others) do it for reasons of time. Plus, they set the timing at values they know will be safe. They aren't concerned with performance in the same way you are.

Advanced Tuner
    I was just comparing the timing map, stock 05 gto to stock 06 vette, and the timing map is really really lumpy on the gto. If anything, I thought maybe I could take the vette timing and reduce it by 2* from .60-.80. To run that much timing, it looks like the vette adds a lot of fuel (up to 11.88). Is there something else that would make such a differeance.

The machining on the LS2 is the same whether it goes in the vette or gto isn't it?

Tuner
    There isn't a whole lot of room for improvement in the stock GTO file from what I saw. The only thing I ended up doing with the one I messed with the other day was reducing the timing reduction vs IAT, and that was just to band-aid his crazy high IAT's until he can relocate it.

IAT temps are a major issue in stock form on those cars.
    2016 Camaro SS

Advanced Tuner
    I did dull the IAT spark table and relocate my IAT sensor. It helps a lot.

BUT, look at these two files. Compare the HO spark tables and compare the PE curves. Look at them in 3D. Major differance. The spark curve on the vette is much smoother.

Are there other tables coming into play in the vette or is it because of weight and gearing of the 2 vehicles?

Potential Tuner
    I did dull the IAT spark table and relocate my IAT sensor. It helps a lot.

BUT, look at these two files. Compare the HO spark tables and compare the PE curves. Look at them in 3D. Major differance. The spark curve on the vette is much smoother.

Are there other tables coming into play in the vette or is it because of weight and gearing of the 2 vehicles?

After watching some C6 vettes at the track I've been wondering how they can trap so much higher then a GTO stock vs stock. Imo it can't be only the weight, I've always thought GM has done a few tuning tricks to ensure the GTO is slower. I think you might be on to something with the timing. Have you tried out those tables and checked for knock?