Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: NGK AFX vs. AEM 30-0300 CAN Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I got it off amazon but it shipped direct from aem
    I think I bought a day or so before you and mine isn't going to be here until the morning! Dang it!

I ordered mine in the last week of May and still don't have it. I heard AEM sucks as a company, guess it's true considering others are getting theirs.

I have heard the same and always avoided their products. Figured I'd give this one a shot
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Nice thread, once past character attacks (I hope it stays that way).

The Ballenger Motorsports AFR500v2 is indeed now available here and through HP Tuners directly!

Summary of Changes for the AFR500v2:

• Lambda Display Option
    • Wide Range Option
      0.411-1.373 Lambda
      6-20 Gas AFR
      2.66-8.88 Methanol AFR
    • Bosch LSU 4.9 Option
    • Methanol Display Option
    • Faster analog output
    • All harnesses, control units, accessories, etc (except the LSU 4.9) are backwards and forwards compatible
    • Options are selectable at any time

We plan to release a product that works with the AFX/AFR500/AFR500v2 such that it provides CAN support for integration with systems like the HP Tuners. We tentatively plan to offer pressure compensation as an option and may offer temperature compensation in this CAN module. This is planned for 2017.

Our experience and many customer's experience with the LSU 4.2 & 4.9 sensors for leaded, exotic, & high EGT fuels is poor. The NTK sensors are more tolerant of high EGTs, rapid EGT variation, & contaminants (such as lead). The result is that each sensor has its use and place. Fortunately, the AFR500v2 can control the 4.2, 4.9, and the majority of the NTK sensors (LHA, LZA, 4mA, 6mA, L1H1, L2H2, lab grade, etc) . Notably, the AFR500v2 output is FAST with all sensors.

We are pushing development forward and made some MAJOR leaps with the AFR500v2, working closely with ECM. We also like and sell the AEM X-Series sensors on our website. AEM has come a long way from melting the gauge plastic from overheating heater circuit drivers in the gauge enclosure many years ago. These new products are making tuning easier and better for everyone. The biggest issues I see today are tuners who leave sensors unplugged, tuners who don't baseline their engines before shoving sensors in, and tuners who treat any one input / variable as gospel.

The AFX/AFR500/AFR500v2 does offer specific voltage test points during boot-up to perform any offset corrections which, as pointed out earlier in this thread, is often overlooked. You do want to make sure the sensor is properly calibrated.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bmotorsports View Post

The Ballenger Motorsports AFR500v2 is indeed now available here and through HP Tuners directly!

• Lambda Display Option
    • Wide Range Option
      0.411-1.373 Lambda
      6-20 Gas AFR
      2.66-8.88 Methanol AFR
    • Bosch LSU 4.9 Option
    • Faster analog output
    • All harnesses, control units, accessories, etc (except the LSU 4.9) are backwards and forwards compatible

We plan to release a product that works with the AFX/AFR500/AFR500v2 such that it provides CAN support for integration with systems like the HP Tuners. We tentatively plan to offer pressure compensation as an option and may offer temperature compensation in this CAN module. This is planned for 2017.

Our experience and many customer's experience with the LSU 4.2 & 4.9 sensors for leaded, exotic, & high EGT fuels is poor. The NTK sensors are more tolerant of high EGTs, rapid EGT variation, & contaminants (such as lead). The result is that each sensor has its use and place. Fortunately, the AFR500v2 can control the 4.2, 4.9, and the majority of the NTK sensors (LHA, LZA, 4mA, 6mA, L1H1, L2H2, lab grade, etc) . Notably, the AFR500v2 output is FAST with all sensors.

We are pushing development forward and made some MAJOR leaps with the AFR500v2, working closely with ECM. We also like and sell the AEM X-Series sensors on our website. AEM has come a long way from melting the gauge plastic from overheating heater circuit drivers in the gauge enclosure many years ago. These new products are making tuning easier and better for everyone. The biggest issues I see today are tuners who leave sensors unplugged, tuners who don't baseline their engines before shoving sensors in, and tuners who treat any one input / variable as gospel.

The AFX/AFR500/AFR500v2 does offer specific voltage test points during boot-up to perform any offset corrections which, as pointed out earlier in this thread, is often overlooked. You do want to make sure the sensor is properly calibrated.
    Just curious as to what you meant by this one?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Just curious as to what you meant by this one?
    By baseline, I mean the research most pro tuners will do on an engine to get the timing & fuel parameters close before firing the engine. An example of improper use is a tuner who installs a wideband sensor while a tune is backfiring, spitting raw fuel, etc. Many tuners are able to get years out of their sensors by treating them with care and as precision equipment. Strong backfires can kill any Bosch or NTK sensor rapidly.

Tuning Addict
    Ahhh, close made startup tune or minor things fixed before installing the wideband - why didn't you just say so I got what your saying though...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Ahhh, close made startup tune or minor things fixed before installing the wideband - why didn't you just say so I got what your saying though...
    HP Tuners makes this super easy for most applications. When you go standalone though, you often have to spend a lot of time on your baseline tune which is where the terminology comes from.

Advanced Tuner
    @ bmotorsports, so this adaptor to integrate canbus into the v2. Will it be a analog to canbus converter? If so wont it still suffer the same latency issues that all analog sensors suffer? Also whats the ball park price? The reason i ask is i have a v2 sensor now and im contemplating either replacing it with an aem 30-0333 or in conjunction or i may just upgrade to the mpvi pro and run it into the analog...but this thread is making me rethink the analog idea.

Regarding the aems, are you guys getting the 30-0300 or the 30-0333? Can see much of a difference online although the 0300 is about $50 more so there must be something?
    Last edited by JBZ; 06-22-2016 at 09:09 PM.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

0333 is what you want.

0300 is the original which was made to work with some sort of aem logger box thing. 0333 has the modified firmware dr.mike made so it can be picked up by HPT

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    I'm using the 30-0300 connected via mvpi pro analag. Seems to work well and fast. Not much lag. You can see it follows the B1 o2 sensor. that's where I have it installed(drivers side). I don't have anything to compare it to. It's the first one I've bought.

wideband.PNG
    '13 ZL1

Advanced Tuner
    0333 is what you want.

0300 is the original which was made to work with some sort of aem logger box thing. 0333 has the modified firmware dr.mike made so it can be picked up by HPT
    awesome thanks for that insight...im sure its somewhere here in this thread and I have missed it.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Quote Originally Posted by bmotorsports View Post

• Lambda Display Option
    • Wide Range Option
      0.411-1.373 Lambda
      6-20 Gas AFR
      2.66-8.88 Methanol AFR
    • Bosch LSU 4.9 Option
    • Faster analog output

Really interested to see the CAN integration along with pressure compensation for future units!

ECM provides the correction value already for their AFM1000/1500 widebands and I have contemplated rigging up a pressure sensor into HPTuners to calculate a "corrected wideband" channel for this. Having the setup do it within the unit would further simplify things though!
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    @ bmotorsports, so this adaptor to integrate canbus into the v2. Will it be a analog to canbus converter? If so wont it still suffer the same latency issues that all analog sensors suffer? Also whats the ball park price?

Regarding the aems, are you guys getting the 30-0300 or the 30-0333? Can see much of a difference online although the 0300 is about $50 more so there must be something?
    The AFR500v2 analog output is FAST and the corresponding CAN output will also be FAST. Ballpark price depends on options chosen, current target is $75 for the base level.

If you perform your sensor calibration properly and perform your analog offset correction per the AFR500v2 manual, it works very well.

We are stocking both the 30-0300 & 30-0333 here. Pricing is odd right now because of a sale going on with the 30-0300 & 30-0333.

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Really interested to see the CAN integration along with pressure compensation for future units!

ECM provides the correction value already for their AFM1000/1500 widebands and I have contemplated rigging up a pressure sensor into HPTuners to calculate a "corrected wideband" channel for this. Having the setup do it within the unit would further simplify things though!
    We agree! This feature is exclusive to very high end hardware currently.

Tuner in Training
    Apologies for a bonehead question, but it appears to me that the 0333 goes into the OBDII port. Since it's occupying that, how does the HPT then plug in? Thanks for clarification on this.

Aem's connector has two ends. One connects to OBD port, hpt connects to the other. I've posted pics in one of the other threads about it.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Aem's connector has two ends. One connects to OBD port, hpt connects to the other. I've posted pics in one of the other threads about it.
    Yup.

SNSR-01171-4.jpg

Still on sale here for a few more days at 30% off (ends July 29th!)

Tuner in Training
    Does anybody know what the output rate for logging is of the AEM wideband? Both CAN and analog? How many Hz.

I have it set to 100hz for the CAN option

dr.mike will probably know if that's actually what it's doing or not

I do know when I ran the AEM analog output along side the CAN out they were nearly identical. The analog output was surprisingly fast.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    AEM WB's go like this.

Analog output is 2ms ( 500Hz ) for all of 30-0300 30-0333 and 30-0310. ( You must add the pins to the 30-0333 connector to tap the signal )
    It is ground-offset compensated; and, pretty clean. It is, also, factory calibrated to match the CAN data output.

CAN output for the 30-0300 and 30-0310 is set at 10ms ( 100Hz ) Its is adjustable. But, that requires special software to send CAN commands to the WB's CAN API.

The OBDII CAN output rate depends on the polling rate of the logger. So, it can be anything from 0Hz to 500Hz. i.e. It just responds when queried for its PID value.

The serial output for the 30-0300 and 30-0310 is 100ms ( 10Hz ). It's really only there to be compatible with the old 30-4100/4110 and 30-2310 WBs. It's not REALLY intended for use in new installations.