Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: NGK AFX vs. AEM 30-0300 CAN Comparison

Advanced Tuner
    FWIW, I just checked my folder with my logs in it and I'm at over 500 logs with the pair of AEM 30-0300's. That's over 500 starts too since I only log once per drive. I let them warm up just about every single time I start the car because I log every start from before I even crank the engine. I don't doubt what you're saying Mike, but in practice SO FAR, I've yet to have a problem. And that doesn't include the few thousand logs from the PLX 4.2 and 4.9 sensors in that car, always warmed up before the engine starts.

OEM heaters turn on whenever the key is in the run position. If heating them up before the engine fires up was that big of a risk, I think there'd be a TON of narrowband and widebands dying in OEM applications. Narrowband and wideband failures in OEM situations is probably 1/100th what it used to be years ago. In the '80's and 90's I damn near wore out my O2 sensor sockets and wrenches. Now it's pretty rare to have a failed sensor on late model stuff.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Advanced Tuner
    Six in one hand...half a dozen in the other

Ok so what should we do? Not trying to start a debate or anything. Honestly curious

Those sensors are not terribly expensive, but i still would not want to trash mine in short order.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Advanced Tuner
    The OEM engineers ( I know these guys ) trash hundreds of sensors every year, working out the ideal heater timing for each application.
    They NEED to get the sensor operational as quickly as possible to get into closed-loop control fast for emissions compliance. So, it's a trade-off.

For aftermarket, it's better to delay sensor warm-up until the EGT has come up a bit. At least if sensor life it important. Depending on conditions, you could do hundreds of cold starts without damaging the sensor. Or, one.

BTW the standard analog control methods, used by just about everyone except AEM and Innovate can't really tell when a sensor has a cracked element, unless it is rendered completely inoperable.

Fortunately, the NB sensors are MUCH less fragile then the Bosch WBs.

I've just been starting and going, for whatever tiny sample size that is worth. Does PLX use Bosch sensors also? I used that one for over a year, just started it every day and went.. no issues. Same with AEM so far. Just start and go, I've warmed the sensor up a time or two when I was trying to figure out if it was going lean or rich during startup but that was about it. No issues so far.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I would guess its more detrimental based on the area you live also and the time of year. here in Houston, when its 100* and my garage is 115* it probably doesn't matter...it really wont get a blast of cold air, however for folks up in the north during winter time cold it may be likely to break the ceramics. then if your like GMtech over in the bay area..the coldest winter is a summer in that city
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Advanced Tuner
    is 115* it probably doesn't matter...it really wont get a blast of cold air,
    "cold" is relative to the 1300F sensor element temperature In reality it is not a problem 99%+ of the time. But, if you ARE going to kill a sensor, that is usually how it happens.

Well I got my replacement 30-0333 from Jegs and I think I will just return it and get something else or sell it. I have not even installed the replacement yet so they should take it back I guess. I am going to stick with my NGK since it seems to work just fine. I did find out that my Fuel pressure is dropping from 61-62 down below 50psi at wot so i need a BAP or a pump but i hate the pump options I have seen so far.

Tuning Addict
    Squash or Fore Innovations I believe...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Squash or Fore Innovations I believe...
    Ya I have no interest in changing lines and rails etc. That is overkill for a head and cam car on e85 still. it just needs a little extra help. The walbro is fine but i dont like losing the siphon pump function either. No one seems to make a high volume drop in pump that needs no modification or allows the use of the siphon pump still that is not also requiring changing lines and rails and going to a return system.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    For aftermarket, it's better to delay sensor warm-up until the EGT has come up a bit. At least if sensor life it important. Depending on conditions, you could do hundreds of cold starts without damaging the sensor. Or, one.

Is there a way to do this?

Advanced Tuner
    There is a command that you can send, over the CAN bus, to the 30-0300/30-0333 that will set a delayed warm-up time. But, somebody has to send it.
    Most people seem to want the gauge to start displaying AFR ASAP. So, the default delay is the minimum, given by Bosch. I run mine with a 10-second start-up delay.