Thread: Anyone play with the trans tuning yet?

Advanced Tuner

Anyone play with the trans tuning yet?

Has anyone had a chance to play around with the transmission tuning? I have a Challenger that I am waiting on a calibration update for that we did a heads/cam package on that should benefit from the tuning quite a bit.

Just curious what people are experiencing with it and how they respond to the changes.

Tuner
    had 6.4 on the dyno but the customer put in the wrong pushrods so i read the trans tune but didn't get to try any loading or changing

Advanced Tuner
    I got the update on Friday, so I should get some time to play with it today. I'm really just happy that we can spin the motors up past ~5800rpms now.

Tuner
    Are you guys playing with the 6 speeds?

Advanced Tuner
    Not me. This car has the NAG1 5-speed.

So far, I haven't been able to get around the 5800rpm shift point. No matter what I adjust in the trans tune, the car still shifts at 5800rpm. Little bit of a bummer, since I was hoping to spin it up to 6600rpm with the cam/valvetrain in it.

It looks like the shift speeds are in Output shaft speed rpm. I am assuming that I cam multiply that by the gear ratio to get actual rpm. ie. 3rd gear is a 1.41, shift speed from 3->4 at 26% throttle is 1350, so to me that would be shifting at 1903 engine rpm. Is this thinking correct?

Quote Originally Posted by doc350 View Post

So far, I haven't been able to get around the 5800rpm shift point. No matter what I adjust in the trans tune, the car still shifts at 5800rpm. Little bit of a bummer, since I was hoping to spin it up to 6600rpm with the cam/valvetrain in it.

It looks like the shift speeds are in Output shaft speed rpm. I am assuming that I cam multiply that by the gear ratio to get actual rpm. ie. 3rd gear is a 1.41, shift speed from 3->4 at 26% throttle is 1350, so to me that would be shifting at 1903 engine rpm. Is this thinking correct?
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post399543

Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Shift RPM is output shaft based. Divide desired engine rpm by trans gear ratio to get output shaft RPM for that gear.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Mark, so for a 6600rpm shift in 3rd gear at WOT, I should have 4680 in the table for the 3->4 shift. Unfortunatly, that isn't working. I even upped the shift point on the part throttle tables at the 94% pedal position.

One other thing, it is still shifting in Autostick in WOT. I'm wondering if the file isn't writing correctly?

Here is the file I am using.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Thanks Mark, so for a 6600rpm shift in 3rd gear at WOT, I should have 4680 in the table for the 3->4 shift. Unfortunatly, that isn't working. I even upped the shift point on the part throttle tables at the 94% pedal position.

One other thing, it is still shifting in Autostick in WOT. I'm wondering if the file isn't writing correctly?

Here is the file I am using.
    Auto Shift Properties> General> Autostick WOT - set this to enable, meaning Autostick is enabled and it won't shift until you hit the stick.

To be honest I haven't spent enough time here on this yet, but does not appear to me we have a separate set of shift rpms for Autostick mode, only for Drive mode, meaning if you are in autostick mode, it will shift according to factory rpms (which I believe is around 5600rpms).
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 09-29-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Auto Shift Properties> General> Autostick WOT - set this to enable, meaning Autostick is enabled and it won't shift until you hit the stick.
    Even still, it should be shifting at 6600 right? Regardless of whether it is going to shift on its own or not?

meaning if you are in autostick mode, it will shift according to factory rpms (which I believe is around 5600rpms).
    That's an interesting thought. I am going to have to play with this a much as I can and see what we can do with these transmissions. The Hemi world has been waiting a long time for TCM control....

Advanced Tuner

It's not just you. I am having the same issue. I'm hopeful that support will get us squared away quickly
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-29-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Do you guys have the WOT (kickdown) switch enabled?

Senior Tuner
    Why would that matter for up shifts?

Why would that matter for up shifts?
    If you are adjusting the WOT Normal (Upshift/Downshift) tables in order to change full throttle shift points then the WOT switch under Auto Shift Properties -> General -> WOT should be ON for those tables to be used.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    It's not just you. I am having the same issue. I'm hopeful that support will get us squared away quickly
    Glad to know I'm not alone. HPT is the first to provide true transmission tuning for these cars, so some hiccups are to be expected. I'm just glad we are able to have the conversation.

If you are adjusting the WOT Normal (Upshift/Downshift) tables in order to change full throttle shift points then the WOT switch under Auto Shift Properties -> General -> WOT should be ON for those tables to be used.
    That's another interesting thought. Like 06300CSRT said, I can't see how that would affect upshifts, but I guess it won't hurt giving it a try. My understanding though, is that would make the car downshift at WOT even in Autostick, which kinda defeats the purpose to me....

Advanced Tuner
    Another thought.

If you need that switch enabled for the car to use the WOT shift tables, where is it getting its shift points from with the switch disabled? I adjusted the part throttle shift point tables as well (at the 94% throttle column) with no change.

If you're having issues, e-mail your tuned file to support.