Thread: Thank you HPT! (JTEC progress)

Thank you HPT! (JTEC progress)

I was browsing my files and came across a few reads from my 2000 Jeep 4.7l I thought were unsuccessful. I had d/l'd the latest beta and clicked on it and lo and behold, it OPENED! I realize writing is still in the future but I'm happy to finally read the contents of the JTEC. The JTEC train is starting to roll!

Thanks for all your hard work, guys. We are a needy bunch, but we are truly appreciative of your efforts!

Tuner in Training
    Really? I have to check that out on my old Jeep.

So Bill will I be able to tune my 2002 4.7 Dakota soon?

Tuner in Training
    Thanks HPtuners
    JTEC Jeep tuning!!! Whoo hoooooo!!!!!
    Bring it on.

Tuner in Training
    Yay!!! I can read my 99 5.9 pcm too! Good job fellers!

I'm looking for 4.7l reads for comparison. I'd like a '02-'04 Jeep Overland H.O. read and a '08+ 305hp 4.7l read, either Dodge or Jeep.

Here's my 2000 plane jane 4.7l. Can't wait to give this thing a little timing!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    I don't think you really want a read of the 08 version of the 4.7L, its a fairly redesigned engine with dual plugs and a different combustion chamber design. I would look to just add a little timing and get your AFRs a little leaner (should really have a wideband). The HO version of the 4.7L made most of its power gains through the cams and revised intake, very little to do with the timing advance. The stock tune on the 4.7L regular output is pretty aggressive to start with, not sure what kind of power you can pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    I don't think you really want a read of the 08 version of the 4.7L, its a fairly redesigned engine with dual plugs and a different combustion chamber design. I would look to just add a little timing and get your AFRs a little leaner (should really have a wideband). The HO version of the 4.7L made most of its power gains through the cams and revised intake, very little to do with the timing advance. The stock tune on the 4.7L regular output is pretty aggressive to start with, not sure what kind of power you can pick up.
    The timing seems shockingly low, even trumping the LS1's low 20-21 degrees. The warm spark table isn't used, nor is the egr on table. Just the egr off table combined with the few ect/iat and wot tables. Plus that huge torque peak dip! I know my 4.7 has no knock sensors and is geared for placement in heavy vehicles that burn 87 octane and tow things, hence the conservative state of tune. '08 cams swap right in and are reported to be a huge improvement, even beating out the H.O. cams, which are getting hard to find and expensive. I can get the '08 cams for a little over $320 at the parts counter at the Jeep dealer I work at. The '08 intake supposedly is worth some power but a t/b adapter is required and costs $350 itself.

I'd like to see how different the tables are between the three engines. I'm used to tuning stand alone systems and the myriad of different tables in each of the three manufacturers is daunting to me, so I like to look at as many reads as I can to get a better understanding of things. I got my feet wet in oem tuning with my own GM cars and now with a Jeep in the fleet I'm itching to go!

But I digress. The day is coming when we can write!

Tuner in Training
    Anybody attempt to read any Jeep 4.0s? I would like to know if I can tinker with my 99 Wrangler soon.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You will likely not be able to tinker with your 99 Wrangler anytime soon, sorry.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"