Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.25 Scanner and MAF correction. Example within...

2.25 Scanner and MAF correction. Example within...

--
    (To those new to this thread, I still haven't figured this out. Just want to save folks the aggravation of trying the things Ive posted below. Will update the thread once its working properly)
    --

Wanted to post some screen captures of how I setup some tables for determining MAF correction using the 2.25 scanner on a Coyote. Can someone look at the example below and let me know if what is being captured will work for correcting my MAF curve?

The STFT table was modified the same. What I did was log LTFT/STFT via MAF Flow and Absolute load.

This is what I am getting for results using a minimum of 5 hits per cell.

This is a shot of the STFT using the same table modification.

Am I on the right track for capturing the % change needed to modify the MAF curve? I realize I need to do a bit of math to combine the LT and ST fuel trims.
    Last edited by David Borden; 05-18-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I don't understand what you're logging. The Coyote uses a digital MAF...so shouldn't you log the % error against the MAF Period table?
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner
    Yeah, you will need to create a custom PID to log the MAF period so that you can create a histogram that will mirror the MAF vs period table and then use your fuel trims to populate. I haven't had much time lately to see the updates in the 2.25 scanner but I am attaching a config for the 2.24 scanner that has the custom PID MAF vs Period you need to log. You can use it to see how to make one in the new scanner if the function is enabled now, or just use the old scanner to make the changes to the MAF table.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by toyoguru; 05-08-2015 at 08:00 AM.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by toyoguru View Post
    Yeah, you will need to create a custom PID to log the MAF period so that you can create a histogram that will mirror the MAF vs period table and then use your fuel trims to populate. I haven't had much time lately to see the updates in the 2.25 scanner but I am attaching a config for the 2.24 scanner that has the custom PID MAF vs Period you need to log. You can use it to see how to make one in the new scanner if the function is enabled now, or just use the old scanner to make the changes to the MAF table.
    How did you create the MAF Period PID...custom PID's never come in on my scanner when loading configs...I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's not supposed to work that way. 1000000/Freq?
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    I don't understand what you're logging. The Coyote uses a digital MAF...so shouldn't you log the % error against the MAF Period table?
    Ive read that as well. The only option that appears when hooking up to the PCM is this:

MAF flow SAE in lb/min.

Eric, is this logging accurately?

Senior Tuner
    Yeah I just did it today. You have to tune the MAF table using the 2.24 scanner until they add MAF frequency or period to the 2.25 scanner... And the lambda PID in 2.24 doesn't work correctly but the STFT and LTFT do.

By adding MAF frequency then creating a user defined that's just 1000000/frequency, you can log fuel trims against the period in 2.24 scanner and get it dialed in very quickly.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 05-09-2015 at 05:14 PM.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Yeah I just did it today. You have to tune the MAF table using the 2.24 scanner until they add MAF frequency or period to the 2.25 scanner... And the lambda PID in 2.24 doesn't work correctly but the STFT and LTFT do.

By adding MAF frequency then creating a user defined that's just 1000000/frequency, you can log fuel trims against the period in 2.24 scanner and get it dialed in very quickly.
    Mike, thanks for the response. So you can scan the Coyote with 2.24??? If thats the case, I missed the boat. I thought you could only scan with the 2.25 scanner for some reason.

Any tips to add getting it to work, or just run as normal?

David

Tuner
    Just run the scanner like normal, The 2.24 scanner works fine, especially for dialing in the MAF, but it doesn't log knock or lambda correctly, which shouldn't be an issue for working the MAF table.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

AWESOME! Man, I may have missed that after all my reading, but that really needs in the tuning advice thread and put in bold letters

Tuner
    Hopefully they will have the new scanner dialed in soon, and be able to use just 2.25 for everything. I really need to make some time to mess with the new scanner, feeling a bit behind on what it can and can't do.

Ok guys, I think I got it. Here are a few screen shots for you to check. The problem I had with downloading other peoples configs, is they would not transfer everything complete, so it took a parts from guys like Toyoguru and others to piece it together.

Here are the two histogram screens:

Here is the PID screen. The equation for the PID I found posted on the forum didnt work for some reason so just searched for the MAF PID and adjusted the equation to 10000/[PID.16] and all the data seemed to fall in range.

These are the results I get from quick drive/scan.

And a quick capture of the chart so you can see a snapshot of the data collected that supports the results.

Look OK?

Clearly I have some work to do to correct this... Really looking forward to getting the crate engine VIN thing is sorted, so I can get started!

David

Senior Tuner
    I don't think you're calculating the MAF period correctly. I believe that PID.16 is mass airflow, not the sensors frequency. Period is the time between peaks of the frequency. I used 1000000/[PID.2302]. If you just log PID.16 and PID.2302 you should see the difference, one will log in a unit of mass, the other will log in hz. Again, looks like we won't need to do this for very long as Eric posted a video of 2.25 logging period directly...but for now, hopefully this will help you or someone else.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Thanks Mike... where did you find the PID #? It wasnt listed where the others were from clicking the little '?'

I'm adding MAF Period DMR to the scanner now for the various OS's we support. Going to take a little time to get it in
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Last edited by txcharlie; 05-19-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    I'm adding MAF Period DMR to the scanner now for the various OS's we support. Going to take a little time to get it in
    Eric,I have very limited PIDs I can log on my Crate6 strategy...no VCT at all,Knock and a bunch of other stuff I can see when i connect the 11-14's..

Update, and let me know if that changes. Friday's build should have more working.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

So the maf will work in 2.25 friday for theses aggravating muskrats?
    GOD HELP US ALL....

Tuner in Training
    mustang2015_Good_File.cfg

I been struggling with this for almost a week,so here is what i used today with 2.24 on the 2014 turbo coyote I'm tuning..And it works great! just open as a full configuration in 2.24,then open the histogram window the short term trim will be in 7 and long term is in 10..Connect to car and start scan and it should work with no problem..

BlackMomba, that looks like the same formula I posted and Mike doesnt think that its correct as its based on MAF lb/min, not MAF frequency. When using that config, were you getting the correction needed when applying to the MAF table?

This begs the question... what are we seeing when logging the Mass Air Flow SAE pid ??? Is this good data, and if not, what are we seeing when logging.

David