Thread: 2014 Mustang GT Hitting fuel cut above 16.5psi on AEM boost gauge/boost controller

Potential Tuner

2014 Mustang GT Hitting fuel cut above 16.5psi on AEM boost gauge/boost controller

Hi Guys,

I need help looking at my tune and log to see what I am doing wrong. I am tuning a 2014 Mustang GT with a Hellion twin turbos kit. So far the car made about 850hp at about 16psi when I reference the AEM boost controller/gauge. I am trying to help a friend get to 900HP+ but I am experiencing a violent fuel cut issue when it approached 5500-6000rpm. It is like it hits a hard rev limiter when it saw 17psi+. Spark plugs are gapped to .022". The car had a Roush tuned on it before because it previously had a VMP supercharger on it. It looks like I need to extend the range of my maf a little bit but I am not sure. I messaged Eric and he said to post the tune. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Senior Tuner
    You don't have any wide band AFR data in your log or fuel trim data. You logs MAF and MAF period do not match the tune you posted. How are you determining how much to adjust your MAF?

Potential Tuner
    Sorry about that. I need to post the match log and tune. I am using a Dynojet dyno at my shop for AFR. Let me post one up in a few minutes once I do the high boost setting.

Potential Tuner
    Here are the matching tune and log that had the fuel cut or ignition cut. Please look at it and tell me what you see. The load is very high in this log but it only hit about 17 psi.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Max air charge load put it back to 1. air charge multiplier back to 1 as well.

Fill in your MAP max above BP table and Load at WOT tables with the correct values. that should fix your load values from being way too high.

I still cant see any WB data or fuel trim data to verify you are moving the MAF values in the correct direction. TQ RED. Lean makes me think you are increasing these values way too much.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Murfie. I will set the value back to stock and see if that lower the load reading on the log. The WOT is dead on at 11.6:1 on the dyno. Do you think the high load value is causing it to hit fuel or spark cut? I am tempted to bring everything back to factory and starting over. Unfortunately he does not have the factory tune and I am working with the Roush tune that is in the ecu. The air charge settings you see are from the Roush tune that was in the car.

-What load should you see if you are running 10,15, 20, or 25 psi.
    -Can you tune boosted Coyote without making any change to the speed density tables? I read you can leave them stock and just calibrate the maf?
    -Which load (i.e. calculated load, engine load, or air load) do you log so you can make changes to the borderline spark table?
    -Does the ecu use the row with highest load value if the engine happens to max out the load to apply the base ignition timing from the OP table?

I already read the LaSota Coyote Cook Book three times and I am not see a solution for turbo Coyote. There is very little to no clear information on how to tune the coyote motor. If i can figure this out, i would love to create a sticky for turbo Coyote.

Senior Tuner
    You can tune a boosted coyote with minimal changed to the speed density, none of them being the offset, slope, and quad. Load and max calculated map mainly. It definitely can be improved once dialed in.

I like air load.

Yes it does use the value in the row with the highest load if it goes over the max load.

You have your stoich value at 9.86. I assumed you are running e85. If you are seeing 11.6 either your wife band is not setup for e85 or you are very lean.

Tuner in Training
    Follow what murfie mentioned to get load from being that high. I would also make the change to Fuel Cyl Cutoff at 1.0 load to be at .78 lambda, raise your Fail RPM for MAF and once you get load figured out, make sure that you aren't being clipped by Exhaust Temp Inverse. I'd also turn the check engine light back on, never been a fan of completely shutting it off, not even to my own vehicles.

Let us know how it goes.

Potential Tuner
    Hi Murfie. I really appreciate your inputs. I am still star struck by other long term tuners and I am all ear when they are willing to share tuning strategies with me. I love to share tricks with other tuners too. I have been tuning with e85 since is was only available at two pumps in the Atlanta, GA area and people thought it was a taboo. From my tuning experiences with high boost (30-65psi) turbo cars, I saw that the cars will make the most power with low to no knock when you see 11.5:1-11.8:1 afr on the dyno. I used to reference .83-.85 lambda for peak power but after doing some comparision, I just use the AFR reading on the dyno. I see misfires and false knocks on some cars when running below 11.2:1 or .80 lambda. I have a lot of experience with many standalone systems and many stock style ecus. However the Mustang GT ecu kick my butt because it has too many intertwining factors. There are too many vague and sometimes conflicting information on how to tune it so that does not help. I thought my solution was the Coyote Cook books but it is very limited for dealing with boost. Running 8-14psi to make 650hp-800hp is pretty straight forward from what I am seeing. Running 18psi+ to make 900hp to 1000hp+ Coyote engine is top secret because I am not seeing many people posting about it. These motors are badasses and I think more people will push it harder if they know how to accurately adjust the ECU.

Fix the calculated SD load to 1 like murfie suggested and raise the max calculated map above 64 since it looked like you pegged it to something like 80 or so along with the Map max vs air mass. Wouldn't hurt to raise optimal stability under torque management above 64 too, but i'm not sure if that matters or not. Also try to lower your default maf period under engine diagnostics. I've ran into a limit with that when the period goes below its value even with the maf limit disabled. Also completely disable the traction control to zero just to keep it out of the way while on the dyno.

I noticed the torque source goes to Trans shift mod and then engine speed limit around 6k
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 12-21-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Not to mention older cars fuel systems not being over designed to flow the extra amount E85 requires.

Potential Tuner
    Sweet. Thanks a lot bbbrooks98. Raising the max map under optimal stability under torque management to 64psi did not work to avoid hitting fuel cut. I already tried that. I will see about the defaut maf period though. I personally think it can easy make safe 1000hp+ if I can get it to 25-28psi with low timing.
    Last edited by killercolt; 12-22-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Sweet. Thanks a lot bbrooks98. Raising the max map under optimal stability under torque management to 64psi did not work to avoid hitting fuel cut. I already tried that. I will see about the defaut maf period though. How much boost are you running bbrooks98 and what did you set the default maf period to?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by killercolt View Post
    Sweet. Thanks a lot bbrooks98. Raising the max map under optimal stability under torque management to 64psi did not work to avoid hitting fuel cut. I already tried that. I will see about the defaut maf period though. How much boost are you running bbrooks98 and what did you set the default maf period to?
    Your seeing 83 uSec and your default is 90. My understanding is that you would have to set it below that something like 80-74 uSec default yes?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Yep, I'd set it to 75 or so.

Senior Tuner
    brad you still at Peters alot? Have an email add I can hit you at?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by killercolt View Post
    Hi Guys,

I need help looking at my tune and log to see what I am doing wrong. I am tuning a 2014 Mustang GT with a Hellion twin turbos kit. So far the car made about 850hp at about 16psi when I reference the AEM boost controller/gauge. I am trying to help a friend get to 900HP+ but I am experiencing a violent fuel cut issue when it approached 5500-6000rpm. It is like it hits a hard rev limiter when it saw 17psi+. Spark plugs are gapped to .022". The car had a Roush tuned on it before because it previously had a VMP supercharger on it. It looks like I need to extend the range of my maf a little bit but I am not sure. I messaged Eric and he said to post the tune. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
    We?re you able to figure this out?
    My car isn?t having the same issues and I can?t find anyone to help. In torque source it is going into trans shift mod every time it cuts out around 6000 mark as well?