Thread: 2010 OS in a 2008 ECM?

Advanced Tuner

2010 OS in a 2008 ECM?

Can you put a 2010 OS into a 2008 ECM to get the 15KHz MAF table? Just wondering since both ECM's are E38.
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

Advanced Tuner
    The simple answer is "maybe."

There is a document floating around the internet from a reasonably reputable source that says which hardware / service numbers and OS's work between years. I've been told you can brick the PCM with HP Tuners (or the other guy's) software if the right one hardware / OS combo isn't used. BUT I've also been told by a guy that used to work as a tech at a dealership that they are interchangeable IF you use a Tech 2 to flash it. Someone on this forum went from one OS to another and didn't get all the features to work until a dealer flashed it with a Tech 2, so that MAY be correct.

Apparently HP Tuners (and the other guys) don't fully write the PCM even on a "write entire" but a Tech 2 does. HP Tuners also can not write a blank PCM which may or may not be part of that. However I have no way to verify this information, I'm only sharing what I've been told so please act accordingly.

Hope this was helpful.
    Last edited by gofastwclass; 06-12-2015 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Typo

Senior Tuner
    thought u could just update to the 2 bar OS which increases the maf table also...?

If you don't mind losing a ECM, try it
    Most of the times they just brick or get corrupted
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Ive seen several instances of clients bricking their ECM due to hardware/OS compatibility. this is why i play it safe try to only used matching hardware to the OS' I have available.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    it will corrupt the pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vortech View Post
    Can you put a 2010 OS into a 2008 ECM to get the 15KHz MAF table? Just wondering since both ECM's are E38.

My 2008 e38 has a 15k maf table

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    it will corrupt the pcm.
    recently a friends PCM was corrupted with an write entire file from a 2010 OS into a 2008. We managed to recover the PCM and reload the original map but are now having issues with the TCM. Its not worth the hassle, we are still trying to recover and write back the original TCM file. Anyone else come across this?
    milk and juice only comes in 2 litres