Thread: need help with a performance tune

Tuner in Training

need help with a performance tune

im tuning a 1999 Silverado with 4.8 or 5.3.. still fairly new to hp tuners. Im turning off the theft deterent on it , but he also wants a tune in it for added performance but nothing too radical. Wheres the best place to start? what should I tweek for a little added performance?

Lots of minor stuff can be done.

Shorten the shift time, add 5-10% to the shift pressure for faster and better shift feel, install a corvette servo is almost a must on those trucks.

Under the PE stuff, you can lean it out a tad as they run em pretty rich, lower the PE delay or get rid of it and set the PE cold/hot to a lower number instead of like 80% throttle. I prefer 35-45% throttle and increase the ramp in rate to 1-1.5, that will make it feel alot better.

If he really wants more done, he should upgrade the OS to a newer truck, the 99 pcm's OS arent that great at all. You can read up on that though.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    thank you... exactly how do I lean it out though? I don't see a map in PE to adjust AFR

Tuner in Training
    ^ under PE tab theres a table called EQ ratio, its a multiplier and the way you set its by making a simple division ie: your stoich afr is 14.63 and you want a 12.5, 14.63/12.5= 1.170 *put this value on the table for target afr

Tuner in Training
    thank everyone for there help. that helped a lot. I changed eq ratio map in PE. what would be the best thing to change at cruising speeds for added fuel economy?

Tuner in Training
    reading and smart driving .... bad idea doing both at the same time btw.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...y-Tuning-Ideas
    Last edited by torker; 07-01-2014 at 03:49 PM.

What he said. Do a LOT of reading. Make small changes. Understand what the change does and what you need to log to understand whether the change was good or not. For example, changing the PE EQ ratio, as mentioned, can make the car run leaner at WOT. Understand what that eq ratio is and what changing it does. The equation is simple, but know it so you change it the correct direction and by an appropriate amount. Know what to log to ensure that you arent getting KR and need to adjust timing, etc.
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06