Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Economy Tuning Ideas

Tuner in Training

Fuel Economy Tuning Ideas

What are everyones ideas on improving fuel economy?

What is the best strategy for timing and afrs?? particularly in cruise cells such as
    1600 35-40-45map
    2000 35-40-45 map
    2400 35-40 -45 map

I am aiming for more timing and lean afrs of 15.3-15.5

Also have optimized DFCO settings and dropped idle in park as slow as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by oztrack
    What are everyones ideas on improving fuel economy?

What is the best strategy for timing and afrs?? particularly in cruise cells such as
    1600 35-40-45map
    2000 35-40-45 map
    2400 35-40 -45 map

I am aiming for more timing and lean afrs of 15.3-15.5

Also have optimized DFCO settings and dropped idle in park as slow as possible.
    well your lean AFR and add timing idea is kind of wht is done with Leasn Cruise...though its not enabled in USA calibration files from the factory and you cant just add data to the cells as its a command in the PCM that compaes vehicle type and looks to see that you are a holden vehicle...
    now the major manufacturers all are moving to a technology that allows the vehicles to "cut out" cylinders allowing a V8 to act like a V4

the best way to optomize yor fuel economy is a combo of smarter driving(less romping on the gas..slower acceleration, and a little bit more optomized DFCO..
    just as an experiment I checked a tank of gas with DFCO on, and then off..
    there was a 4 MPG difference!!! and this was just my normal every day driving...no real romping on it..
    I havent really played with DFCO too much as far as a more creative way to make it improve fuel economy...but I know its possible and I know that even the HPT owners suggest it.
    you cant really lean out the cells as your LTFT's STFT's will learn itself back to 14.63~14.7 ish
    and on top of it your narrowband O2's arent accurate anywhere other than stoich(14.63~14.7 ish for gas)
    Last edited by S2H; 03-04-2006 at 09:41 AM.
    -Scott -

You can lean the O2 rich/lean vs. airflow as it does the averaging of the o2 crossings. Only do this at the airflow mode you are in at cruise speeds though.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

When you say optimize DFCO are you making it cut fuel more or less? I would assume cut more (as in more aggressive) but just want to check.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

I would think to optimize it would be to make it come in more often in more rpm, the stock tables are fairly small areas for DFCO.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

BTW: The Pseudo "lean Cruise" I described above was good for 3 MPG average improvement on an 01 Z06 with about 450 RWHP.

Advanced Tuner
    Look at the "AFR spark correction add" on L59 FFV engine...

It seems to use the "AFR spark advance correction"?

Is this only used when cruise is enabled?
    Black Pontiac Trans Am WS.7- Runs on E85

And soon to be powered by Twin Turbos.

How to run your LS1 on E85

Advanced Tuner
    i was under the impression it was better do disable dfco.

Advanced Tuner
    nevermind, i did some reading on it. forgot you just disable it for tuning, then turn it back on

Here are some settings I used to improve a 2001 Z06 Vette's MPG.

Attachment 190

Potential Tuner
    I've been cooresponding w/ EC about his pseudo lean cruise and tried it in my Formula. I was averaging about 22mpg with a mix of highway and city. I think the best I've ever gotten has been 24mpg. Well with his modifications I averaged 26.4mpg last fill-up! A 12% increase in mileage. I think further testing wouldnt be a bad idea, but this really looks promising... Highly, highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by jjnada
    I've been cooresponding w/ EC about his pseudo lean cruise and tried it in my Formula. I was averaging about 22mpg with a mix of highway and city. I think the best I've ever gotten has been 24mpg. Well with his modifications I averaged 26.4mpg last fill-up! A 12% increase in mileage. I think further testing wouldnt be a bad idea, but this really looks promising... Highly, highly recommended.
    Thanks a bunch for the kudos! Glad it helped too!

EC

Advanced Tuner
    I wish we could put an aftermarket MPG gauge (like cadillacs) so that you can see your mpg and tune it in real time.

Could you disable LTFTs/STFTs and O2s and just run off of a MAF recalibration?

Hmmm. Maybe a custom PID would work vs VE%?
    You know the injector flow rate
    We know the MPH
    We know the injector pulse width or % duty cycle
    Just need to convert to MPH/gallons per hour = Instant MPG

Advanced Tuner
    so we need to use injector flow rate to determine gallons per hour?
    then its all figured out

Tuner in Training
    What do the numbers 0 to 16 on the table "O2 Sensor B1 R/L vs. Airflow Mode" represent & how does it work?
    thanks

for a MPG PID
    something like this might do the trick...not 100% sure..perhaps I'll play with it today some..
    [SENS.20]/(([PID.6210]*0.132276)*[SENS.112]*[SENS.70]*8/6175)

then just make a histo that the x axis is the MPG PID..and select the MPG PID to log as well..
    result should give you 1 box on the histo...and it will average as you drive....
    would be nice to have better resolution on the MPH sensor like I talkek to chris about at one time
    Last edited by S2H; 03-24-2006 at 11:27 AM.
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by possum22
    What do the numbers 0 to 16 on the table "O2 Sensor B1 R/L vs. Airflow Mode" represent & how does it work?
    thanks
    The Mode numbers 0-16 correspond with the General Airflow vs MAF table.

If you are flowing 60 g/sec you are in Mode 14 or 16 depending on your calibration. The Mode number then tells you which R/L cell you are using in the O2 Sensor B1 or B2 R/L vs Airflow Mode table.

Hmm what about those who dont use a MAF anymore? Would the corresponding General Airflow table then use Dynamic Air instead of MAF?
    Warning: User exhibits tendency to use offensive amount of smileys...
    2003 GMC Denali XL
    HPTuners MVPI Pro | LC-1 Wideband | 1 Bar Speed Density OS | MAF Delete | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Flex-A-Lite 282 E-Fans | Nelson Harness | K&N FIPK | SSBC Truck-Force 10 Calipers | Brembo OE Sized Cross-Drilled Discs | NGK TR55's

I just went to 375mv across the board, seems to work well for me.