Thread: anybody have a good method for calculating TB hole size to drill

anybody have a good method for calculating TB hole size to drill

just trying to determine how much I need to drill a TB...would like to get close on teh first shot as I dont really want to have to drive back again to do cold idle after we get it warm to figure out how much more of a hole we need...

we did 1 check..at full operating temp he's got 130 counts...we need hm down around 60 and at cold he's pegging the IAC at 310

it would be nice to know maybe a math formula to convert desired IAC to hole size to drill...
    probably doesnt exist...but Its worth asking about

and I dont mind if it turns out to be a 6 line formula...
    as long as it gives me a # that is area needed...then I can just do a area of circle back calculation to get what I need and drill a second hole...

Thanks if you are a genius and can help me out
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Which cam is that? I remember seeing something like that and somebody had already messed with the TB stop. I have never understood why the only way to lower IAC steps is to drill or crack the throttle blades and if this is setup this way because this is a mechanical design of the throttle body from the factory. Seems to me the higher the Desired Airflow is the more stable idle is. Throttle bodies are not cheap enough to be drilling so I will stick with cracking the blades. Maybe it's me but I don't know why it's so hard to get an answer on how idle exactly works in the GM computer.

Advanced Tuner
    What I have found that works good is, for medium to large cams, I go 2-3 drill bit size bigger than stock size hole.

Just a FYI - My car has a 226 222 116lsa cam, STG 2 Heads, LT Headers, etc and I have the stock hole in my TB blade and my IAC counts are between 40-50 at warm idle (850 RPMs), this is after doing a RAF 2 times on my car.
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

Quote Originally Posted by Billiumss
    What I have found that works good is, for medium to large cams, I go 2-3 drill bit size bigger than stock size hole.

Just a FYI - My car has a 226 222 116lsa cam, STG 2 Heads, LT Headers, etc and I have the stock hole in my TB blade and my IAC counts are between 40-50 at warm idle (850 RPMs), this is after doing a RAF 2 times on my car.
    2-3 bits in 64th's or 32nd's or 16th's??
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    2-3 bits in 64th's or 32nd's or 16th's??
    Sorry about that, in 1/64ths increases.

Quote Originally Posted by 94SS
    Which cam is that? I remember seeing something like that and somebody had already messed with the TB stop. I have never understood why the only way to lower IAC steps is to drill or crack the throttle blades and if this is setup this way because this is a mechanical design of the throttle body from the factory. Seems to me the higher the Desired Airflow is the more stable idle is. Throttle bodies are not cheap enough to be drilling so I will stick with cracking the blades. Maybe it's me but I don't know why it's so hard to get an answer on how idle exactly works in the GM computer.
    on a carb its an idle screw....on a TB its a bump stop to keep the plate from geting stuck..people just call it an idle screw...
    our vehicles reference the TPS and TB stuff and moving that screw can yield some undesired results and tuning issues..
    I myself have only once ran into this as the TPS was wust too far and the computer wouldnt enter idle mode...
    and it doesnt take much to get there....

drilling a hole is the most appropriate way to get more air into the vehicle for idle conditions
    -Scott -

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    fwiw my tsp 231/237 112lsa cam in my stock cubes with an a4 ran the stock TB hole with just raf, set screw & idle adjustments just fine.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    Look at "where you are" counts and "where you want"
    counts, each of these lies under a desired area number
    which is mm2. The difference in these indices is the
    difference in area you have to provide by up-drilling
    the current hole or adding a new one. 1mm2=0.00155in2,
    you can get to a drill diameter by the arithmetic.

If you look at the TB casting from the back, I do believe
    it's possible to drill and tap for a bleed bypass screw
    from the IAC inlet port to the IAC "outlet" side. One hole
    from the back hollow to the IAC inlet port; one across
    the back hollow, outer wall and inner; outer wall then
    tapped for an fine thread (like 10-32) adjuster screw
    and that screw maybe given a conical point on the bench
    grinder. Might need to take some care with the tap angle
    to sink it true, but I think this is all straightforward. Not
    that I need to do it, so I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    Look at "where you are" counts and "where you want"
    counts, each of these lies under a desired area number
    which is mm2. The difference in these indices is the
    difference in area you have to provide by up-drilling
    the current hole or adding a new one. 1mm2=0.00155in2,
    you can get to a drill diameter by the arithmetic.

If you look at the TB casting from the back, I do believe
    it's possible to drill and tap for a bleed bypass screw
    from the IAC inlet port to the IAC "outlet" side. One hole
    from the back hollow to the IAC inlet port; one across
    the back hollow, outer wall and inner; outer wall then
    tapped for an fine thread (like 10-32) adjuster screw
    and that screw maybe given a conical point on the bench
    grinder. Might need to take some care with the tap angle
    to sink it true, but I think this is all straightforward. Not
    that I need to do it, so I haven't.
    one issue...IAC's are not created equal...
    so on one car it may be 30 on anoher car it may be 40...
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    ok heres a question for you guys....how big of a deal are the IACs? I mean my base airflow reads -.01 lb/min directly across the ETCs when warming up and when warmed up, in gear and park. My IACs are between 60-70. Is it good enough there or should they be lower and do I need to drill the TB to get them there?

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

what is the effective area value at 130 steps and what is it in the range you want to hit at idle? I would dietermine the difference in the effecitve areas and use that to add area to the hole.

Example:

130 steps= 48 mm^2 in effective area table

40 steps= 26 mm^2 in effective area table

you want to increase the hole size by 22 mm^2 and just add that to the area of the stock hole (1/8"?). 31.65 mm^2 is the stock hole size if its 1/8. So you want ~53 mm^2 hole. So what would mean you need a 21/64 drill bit. Although I have never done this, it makes sense to me. Let us knwo what you do.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

ok so I skipped the posts and responded and saw jimmy said the same thing pretty much lol
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj6
    ok heres a question for you guys....how big of a deal are the IACs? I mean my base airflow reads -.01 lb/min directly across the ETCs when warming up and when warmed up, in gear and park. My IACs are between 60-70. Is it good enough there or should they be lower and do I need to drill the TB to get them there?

Chris
    The car will run fine as long as you dont make out the iac. dont look at lb/min you dont get good enough resolution. change it to g/sec

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    one issue...IAC's are not created equal...
    so on one car it may be 30 on anoher car it may be 40...
    If the effective area curve was accurate this would be no problem. I know on my car if I go by the effective area table as I explained it woudl come out perfect and I can just shift the table over to get it lined back up.