Thread: how to integrate an LM-1 Wide band into hp tuners?

Tuner

how to integrate an LM-1 Wide band into hp tuners?

i know the lm-1 has a 0-5v output but how would i input this into hp tuners and how would it translate it into the appropriate air/fuel?

Thanks
    Dave

Advanced Tuner

Re: how to integrate an LM-1 Wide band into hp tun

Best way I can think to intergate this is>

You have a PCM in the car. HP tuners can scan this.

Take your 0-5v output and hook it to a reference signal on the PCM sensor.

I install the L67 V6 3800sc to Fieros. This does not use the O2 S2 (rear O2 by CAT).

It has a 0-5v signal input. Use this as the LM1 input and HPT scanner logs the O2S2 signal.

You will have to do your own conversion on the data. It would be better if you have a known running car to log first and see what volt is what A/F.

Just throwing a idea out there to think on.

Loyde
    http://www.fastfieros.com

Re: how to integrate an LM-1 Wide band into hp tun

I ordered a TechEdge 2B0 Wideband System last week and have been investigating possiblities of integrating the two systems into HP Tuners log. What I have found is that people are using the A/C Pressure Sensor Switch Input to connect the analog output signal of their Wideband setup directly. I believe (Just from Reading) the LM-1 outputs 5 volts and 2 volts for Narrowband which would be too high for the O2 inputs but my TechEdge has a 1 volt Narrow band output that I could most likely tap into the rear o2 directly as they have a 0 - 1 volt input range. The A/C logic may not work with HP Tuners yet as this article mentions altering the calculation logic of that PID. Unless HP Tuner Raw Pressure output is relative to the voltage you would have to do some kind of conversion to the log data.

--- This is cut and paste from the article ---

Preface

The goal is to pipe the analog output (voltage) from the LM-1 into the stock PCM and log it with EFILive as you are logging other data as well. I used the 0V-5V input into the PCM that is used to monitor the A/C Pressure.

LM-1

I used the analog output port number 2 as configured from Innovate Motorsports.
    1V=10:1AFR 2V=20:1AFR.
    The analog interface cable I used is part number 42-2561 from Radio Shack. You will need to cut the ¼ inch female end off and strip back insulation to expose the wires and copper shield. The shield is ground, the red wire will be output 2 and the white wire is output 1.
    Ultimately you will be using the ground and the red wire to interface the LM-1 with the stock PCM.

PCM

Under the hood on the passenger’s side towards the back you will the pressure sensor for the A/C system. See picture below.
    There is 3-wire plug attached to the sensor. On a 98 F body the red wire is the input into the PCM, the gray wire is the 5V reference voltage supply, and the black wire is the ground.
    I ran the analog output from the LM-1 into this plug using wiretaps to connect to the red wire from the LM-1 to the red wire going the PCM and the black wires from the LM-1 to the black wire going to the PCM. I passed the analog output cable from the LM-1 through the rubber grommet located below and the left of the PCM

The A/C pressure plug must be unplugged from the sensor while you are using it to receive data from the LM-1. If it is not damage to the LM-1 or your PCM could result. Additionally the A/C will not function when the plug is not connected to the sensor.

EFILive

With some help from Paul (EFILive) I created the formula below which is based on the GM.ACP PID.

(RAW({GM.ACP})/5.1)-correction factor

The RAW function tells EFILive not to perform any calculations or conversions to the data for the specified PID.

GM.ACP – A/C Pressure has a range of 0-255 in its RAW state.

Dividing the GM.ACP PID by 5.1 is for the following reason.
    The RAW voltage range from the PCM for the GM.ACP PID is 0-255 so 255/51 = 5. This converts the raw data to a 0V-5V range
    The voltage range the LM-1 is going to output is 1V-2V so 1.47 will really be an AFR of 14.7:1. Remember on the LM-1 that 1V=10:1AFR 2V=20:1AFR
    You would need to multiply the data by 10 in order to see the 14.7 value.
    So 51 divided by 10 equals 5.1 the completed formula would be written as
    GM.ACP / 51 * 10 which can be simplified and rewritten as GM.ACP / 5.1.

Correction factor

For whatever reason the analog output from the LM-1 is not the same as the A/F value as logged by the LM-1. In order to make the values appear correctly in EFILive You will need to apply a correction factor.
    What I did was to let the car idle for about 15 minutes and recording the A/F with the LM-1 as well as EFILive with no correction factor applied to the formula. Afterwards I averaged the A/F numbers from the LM-1and EFILive logs. The difference is the correction factor. I also did some WOT logging and the correction factor was inline with the correction factor as determined from the idle test.

When I measured the voltage on the red wire going to the PCM from the A/C Pressure with nothing else attached or plugged in there was a voltage floor of .02V. My correction factor was -.425. The formula I put into CALC.PIDS.TXT file EFILive was (RAW({GM.ACP})/5.1)-0.425. This file is located in the following directory “C:\Program Files\EFILive\ScanToolV6\Configuration”
    Also when you re-calibrate the wide band sensor you will also have to confirm your correction factor is still correct. The first correction factor I used was 0.522. With a good correction factor in place when I compare the logged values from the LM-1 to the values logged in EFILive there is less that .1 difference.

The LM-1 will output the AFR even if you are not recording the data. So after you have determined the correction factor you will no longer have turn on/off the record button to get the data as long as you are recording with EFILive.

Below are the formulas in my CALC_PIDS.TXT file.
    # Units
    # -------------------
    # See "sae_generic.txt" for existing unit definitions.
    #
    *UNITS
    #
    #Code System Abbr Description
    #-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------
    # ================================================== ============================
    # SLOTs - Scaling, Limit, Offset and Transfer functions
    # -------------------------------------------------------
    #
    # See "sae_generic.txt" for existing slot definitions.
    #Units Low High Fmt Op Factor Offset
    #------------ ------------- ------------- ---- - ------------- -------------
    # ================================================== ============================
    # Calculated
    # ----------------
    #Units Low High Fmt Expression
    #------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
    *CLC-00-1000
    V 10.0 20.0 .3 (RAW({GM.ACP})/5.1)-0.425
    *PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
    # --------------------------------
    #
    # Calculated
    # ----------------
    #Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
    #------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------
    CALC.WBO2 F600 CLC-00-1000 V Fuel "Wide Band O2 Sensor"