Thread: ls3 throttle response?

ls3 throttle response?

got a crate engine ls3 with hot cam. how would a guy go about trying to get better throttle response from the fly by wire? not sure if you can change the throttle settings or if you need to play with timing to make it come alive faster? thanks i have not hooked up to the vehicle yet as i wanna make sure there is a way it change it before we spend the money on credits to do so thanks

trying to look into this for myself, except I want to slow down the response just a bit, so I will be proactively be looking around and playing with settings. I have a 2010 Camaro LS3 manual. Feel free to look at my post below and open the picture that shows at the top both the pedal movement (ETC PEDAL), and the throttle blade movement (ETC), it's pretty fast.. too fast for this boosted application with the current tune.

this info is charted below.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40830

Attached is a pic of the "Opening Rate" tables, looks like they are maxed out by default.

In the pic in the link above, the rate is timed like this:

Time-------Pedal%-------ETC(throttle blade)
    46:219-----3%-----------13% (normal for that cruise range)
    46:266-----48%----------36% (scaled normal... not lagging)
    46:328-----99%----------82%
    46:375-----99%----------98% (this was the next data point after 46:328)

So I'd say it's not really laggy at all.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 10-04-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

the guys im tryin to tune it for pretty much wants an on off switch for a pedal like you tab the pedal its at 100%WOT its in a rock buggy where you sometimes need to get on off on off the throttle and spin the tires to control movement

thanks for this and any other info you can figure out

Quote Originally Posted by camarokid94 View Post
    ... wants an on off switch for a pedal like you tab the pedal its at 100%WOT its in a rock buggy where you sometimes need to get on off on off the throttle and spin the tires to control movement ...
    An all or nothing throttle via the tune is not the best idea from a safety and driveability standpoint. Plus, you never know exactly where the ECM is going to draw a line in the sand - and no longer activate the throttle.

In this type of vehicle, throttle rate can be adjusted mechanically - via the length of the pedal arm (distance from the pivot point to the pedal). Shorten the arm - the throttle rate increases, lengthen the arm and the rate decreases.

If using an APP (gas pedal) made of metal - this is very straight forward to alter.

With this approach the driver still has a variable throttle when needed.

Just another option ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    An all or nothing throttle via the tune is not the best idea from a safety and driveability standpoint. Plus, you never know exactly where the ECM is going to draw a line in the sand - and no longer activate the throttle.

In this type of vehicle, throttle rate can be adjusted mechanically - via the length of the pedal arm (distance from the pivot point to the pedal). Shorten the arm - the throttle rate increases, lengthen the arm and the rate decreases.

If using an APP (gas pedal) made of metal - this is very straight forward to alter.

With this approach the driver still has a variable throttle when needed.

Just another option ...
    lol yeah i know what we do is not the safest lol here is couple videos not his rig but same thing and i not mean a full on 0 -100 on off im just sayin less lag from idle to revving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or3FbsNdKTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud8iqnTBsLU

... i know what we do is not the safest ... and i not mean a full on 0 -100 on off im just sayin less lag from idle to revving ...
    Familiar with the sport .. thanks. All competitive racing has their own rules for vehicle / driver / spectator safety. I wouldn't want to be the tuner who setup the throttle as an ON / OFF switch - should the vehicle every cause injury to anyone.

you didnt watch the videos did you if you had you would see there is no "regulations/spectator safety" not sayin its a good thing.

and i not mean a full on 0 -100 on off im just sayin less lag from idle to revving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or3FbsNdKTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud8iqnTBsLU

I know what your saying, and the LS3 Drive by wire throttle is not the delay here as it's as good as instant.

The delay here will be the reaction of the rotational mass of the engine.. and to get instant rev's from idle you will need less rotational mass, not a faster reacting throttle plate since as you can see, the throttle reacts plenty fast.

What you might need to work on is the return to idle settings, since some of these engines return to idle some what slowly on purpose and you are looking for that rocking type on/off power, which by default my LS3 does not do (it hangs a high idle and then returns to idle after fast free revving).
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

yeah i think you might be on to something with the return to idle.

Advanced Tuner
    got a crate engine ls3 with hot cam. how would a guy go about trying to get better throttle response from the fly by wire? not sure if you can change the throttle settings or if you need to play with timing to make it come alive faster? thanks i have not hooked up to the vehicle yet as i wanna make sure there is a way it change it before we spend the money on credits to do so thanks
    What ECM are you running? GMPP harness and ECM or an E38 with aftermarket harness?