Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning? Step inside

Advanced Tuner

Re: Programming for dummies

matts: If you wrote that, thank you. Looks like they copied/pasted parts of my write-up and made them neater. Thanks again.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner in Training

No, I wasn't the one who wrote it. I don't know who did, I just saw it posted and thought you guys might be interested in checking it over since you were basically doing the same thing (making a newbie guide).

I wish I knew enough to make that guide, but I don't even own HPTuners...YET.

Thanks for your contributions!

Quote Originally Posted by matts_222
    No, I wasn't the one who wrote it. I don't know who did, I just saw it posted and thought you guys might be interested in checking it over since you were basically doing the same thing (making a newbie guide).

I wish I knew enough to make that guide, but I don't even own HPTuners...YET.

Thanks for your contributions!
    This is mine, I have gathered this info from many different boards. This is posted on www.gearchatter.com .

It's in-work with an another update due anytime now.
    Aaron

'03 Z06 Corvette - The Normal Stuff.....
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist

Tuner in Training

Post on here and ls1tech.com when you do updates please.

I plan on printing that off when I get HPTuners, and I want to have the most updated version if possible.

Thanks for the hard work!

Advanced Tuner

405: GREAT job! Thank you. VERY well laid out. IN particular, please see my gear change write-up for auto's. I put in a formula on how to calculate at what speed to change gears, and works flawlessly, here is a copy of that section, feel free to use it:

MPH =
    (RPM x Loaded Radius of the real wheel)
    (Tranny Gear Ratio x Final Gear Ratio x 168.068)

If you have stock wheels and tires, the Loaded Radius is approximately 13.125"...otherwise just measure from the ground to the center of the wheel.

A4 Trans Ratios are
    1st..3.06
    2nd..1.62
    3rd..1.0
    4th.. .8

Fianl Gear ratios are 2.73s or the optional 3.23s (RPO GU5 I think...??).
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Potential Tuner

ozorowsky, thank you for the great write up!
    Keep it up, these are great info

Tuner in Training

Oz,

Great work. Keep it up.

Now... how about the surging issue with us cam guys???

Andy

Advanced Tuner

WOW!!! what a grip of useful info!! Hopefully when i get mine Ill know how to use it

Advanced Tuner

Mcneil, I have a 230/234 591/598 on a 114lsa cam with ZERO surge. You talking about idle or what? Check my idle writeup and follow religiously. I'm gonna write it a little bit clearer when I get some time.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner in Training

Very good stuff, Oz and 405hp. it makes It easier for us guys that have a basic understanding. Stops a lot of trial and error problems. Waiting for updates and add ons. Thanks

RobertsNitrousService.com
    '02 TR Z06 408ci Nitrous Huffer, Direct Port Dry, hybrid multi-Stage
    Current numbers: 644rwhp and 717rwtq

Tuner in Training

im glad someone finally posted some where that it was OK to use AVERAGE on the histogram. i was leaning towards it but i needed reasurance. im busy fixing my KR in my High Octane table right now.
    2k Silverado 5.3 -- radix supercharged, TOG long-tubed, Yank TT3000, Billet Servos, eaton posi\'d, 4.10\'d, nelson tuned, 160 degreed, tranny cooled, magnaflowed, hotchkis\'d 2/4, and 20\'d.

Tuner in Training

also.. is it good to smooth out the High Octane table? because i have some crazy KR in some cells.

example: cell (1.8, .56) shows 9 degrees of knock retard. and cell (2.0, .56) shows 2 degrees.

other cells have the same thing going on and others dont have such a dramatic change
    2k Silverado 5.3 -- radix supercharged, TOG long-tubed, Yank TT3000, Billet Servos, eaton posi\'d, 4.10\'d, nelson tuned, 160 degreed, tranny cooled, magnaflowed, hotchkis\'d 2/4, and 20\'d.

Tuner in Training

if i log with the MAF connected, and then log without. will it affect KR? or will it be the same reading? probably different.

Advanced Tuner

Others can chime in here, but I am pretty SURE the MAF will NOT affect KR, unless your maf scaling is WAY off
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ozorowsky
    Others can chime in here, but I am pretty SURE the MAF will NOT affect KR, unless your maf scaling is WAY off

I would agree with that...
    2007 CTS-V LS2

Potential Tuner

Hey guys. I'm a new member here. I just bought my software and thanks to lurking around this forum for quite a while now I am confident I can tune my vette. I do have one question though...

For all you guys that never reconnected your MAF (running SD) are you doing this with just the base software and narrowband o2's? are you running wideband? 1 bar SD?

I bought the base software, running narrowband. I like the idea of running SD and not having to mess with tuning the MAF. I'm not concerned with emissions....

99 C5 coupe. Blackwing, LGM Headers, Borla Stingers

Potential Tuner

wow thanks this is great info im going to order HP Tuner

Potential Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ozorowsky
    IDLE TUNING--Really only need to do this if you have installed a cam. Special thanks goes out to WS7 on Ls1tuning.com

Idle Limiters -->
    Go to Edit --> Engine --> IDLE --> IDLE RPM --> Target Idle speed VS ECT
    Idle Speed: 950--Start at 950 to get car to idle, then lower 25 rpm at a time until you get idle you like that will keep car running. General rule of thumb, keep anything with AC 50rpm higher than your AC OFF.

Go to Edit --> Engine --> IDLE -->IDLE AIRFLOW --> IAC Park Position Airflow vs. IAT: Raise all points from -40C and up to 21

Go to Edit --> Engine --> IDLE --> IDLE AIRFLOW -->Idle Airflow vs. ECT: Idle Air In Gear: All points 68C and up to 8.6 (Mine are at 9.6). This menu RIGHT HERE is the key to idle.

Go to Edit --> Engine --> Airflow--> General --> Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP --> Multiply column 400 rpm by .60. Multiply column 800 by .80. Multiply column 1200 by .90.

Go to Edit --> Engine --> Spark Advance --> Low Octane: Add 2 deg to all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec. Copy this table to High Octane Table.

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control reduce the Idle Air in Gear Table .2 (further if necessary). If the idle holds at 2000 RPM for extended periods of time reduce the P/N Airflow Decay table for all points above 10 MPH by 5% (multiply by 95) until this stops. Be vary careful on this table.

If problems idleing, after you do all these idles steps, Go back to Idle Airflow Vs ECT, add 1 point to WHOLE ROW, whether idle in gear, or idle in p/n, and add 1 point at a time to WHOLE ROW, re-upload tune to car, and repeat until car idles. I don't know how much is too much, but I just kept adding 1 to the row, and car idles NICELY now.
    First, you say to start out setting the Idle Airflow vs. ECT: Idle Air In Gear to 8.6 (yours is 9.6)

Then you say, if the car goes on 'cruise control' to reduce the Idle Air in Gear table by .2 or further if necessary. (Did this to get rid of the 'cruise control')

The car still has problems idling, so then you say to add 1 to the whole row in the Idle Airflow Vs ECT table, and repeat until the car idles. Wouldn't this make the car go back on 'cruise control' since the method of getting rid of that is to reduce the table by .2

It just seems confusing saying to first reduce the table by .2 to get rid of the 'cruise control' affect, then saying if it still has problems idling.. go ahead and add 1 to the whole table until it idles. Kinda cancelling out getting rid of the 'cruise control'

Maybe I am just confusing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenov

First, you say to start out setting the Idle Airflow vs. ECT: Idle Air In Gear to 8.6 (yours is 9.6)

Then you say, if the car goes on 'cruise control' to reduce the Idle Air in Gear table by .2 or further if necessary. (Did this to get rid of the 'cruise control')

The car still has problems idling, so then you say to add 1 to the whole row in the Idle Airflow Vs ECT table, and repeat until the car idles. Wouldn't this make the car go back on 'cruise control' since the method of getting rid of that is to reduce the table by .2

It just seems confusing saying to first reduce the table by .2 to get rid of the 'cruise control' affect, then saying if it still has problems idling.. go ahead and add 1 to the whole table until it idles. Kinda cancelling out getting rid of the 'cruise control'

Maybe I am just confusing myself.
    I wouldn't even use that as a guide anymore.

In order to tune Base running airflow use LTIT and STIT mpids in Hptuners.

This is a much better guide to idle tuning:
    http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...le-tuning.html

There are more things you can do but that should get you 90% there unless you have major issues like I did. :-/
    1982 GMC S15 5.3 4L80e
    1954 Corvette ls swap in progress

One question. If you are not VE tuning (I'm still using a MAF), what's the best way to get the LTFT's closer to 0? I'm usually at 10.

Thanks,
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1