Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bah! What am I missing? No start logs inside

Angry Bah! What am I missing? No start logs inside

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing within the tune or sensors? I've been trying to crank over this freshly rebuilt LS1 all morning with no luck. As long as the battery has reserve capacity it will crank and crank forever. I've added a fair amount of excess fuel to try to see if that's the case, disabled the MAF and tried running SDOL for now (will be MAF later) and still nothing.

It's 40 degrees outside right now, so I'm not sure if that is playing games with me. The engine is an LS1 transplanted into a truck, using truck PCM and 4L60. Fuel pressure is great, spark is holding at 13* advance, see logs.

Grrr I'll Paypal $5 to anyone who gets this engine started today. I have an exhaust appointment tomorrow.

USING DEFAULT CONFIG
    Last edited by Rinkrat456; 10-24-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

Verified a few things to see if it's tune related...

I have spark, verified by removing a spark plug and grounding it to the header.

I have 58psi at the fuel rail during key on (which bleeds down eventually) but forcing the fuel pump on holds 58psi constantly even during cranking (Walbro 255).

After cranking for 20-30 seconds I don't smell any fuel coming out of the headers (open headers right now)...this is what's making me wonder if the fuel injectors are opening even though the PCM is telling them to (and I can see that in the logs).

Saga continues. If anyone sees something I'm missing while I continue to diagnose this, let me know.
    -Patrick

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinkrat456 View Post
    Verified a few things to see if it's tune related...

I have spark, verified by removing a spark plug and grounding it to the header.

I have 58psi at the fuel rail during key on (which bleeds down eventually) but forcing the fuel pump on holds 58psi constantly even during cranking (Walbro 255).

After cranking for 20-30 seconds I don't smell any fuel coming out of the headers (open headers right now)...this is what's making me wonder if the fuel injectors are opening even though the PCM is telling them to (and I can see that in the logs).

Saga continues. If anyone sees something I'm missing while I continue to diagnose this, let me know.
    Are the injetors firing at all? did you checked to see if they are pulsing when you crank it?

I'll just throw this out there for discussion, I have no idea how it actually worked. All I know is that I had an issue awhile back, but I thought my car actually fired but wouldn't run.....don't remember.

Any way I did a VATS relink, but I am unsure if VATS is spark or fuel.....or even both????

Good luck, hope it turns out to be something simple.
    2004 GTO M6, 403, Callies, compstar, wiseco, QTP HV oil pump, QTP 2 piece timing cover, EDC custom AFR 235's, LS6 intake, P1SC-1 Procharger maxed @ 13psi, 224/232 600/600 114 EDC custom cam, JBA shortie headers (thanks California) custom boost referenced return style fuel system with surge tank, walbro 255, staged magnafuel 4303, Dual LC-1, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gages, Nexus fP and boost gages.

Senior Tuner
    You have increased your cranking VE huge, I think this part of your problem. I took your scan and modified the scales so you can see what is going on. Look at the pulse width your injectors are seeing, probably flooded all to hell.

Here is more what it should look like

Wouldn't I smell fuel in the exhaust though if it were flooded to all hell? When I took a spark plug out to test for good spark, the spark plug had absolutely no fuel on it. None, not even a scent of fuel. They're brand new NGK's.
    -Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by bartender_77 View Post
    Are the injetors firing at all? did you checked to see if they are pulsing when you crank it?
    I don't believe so. Does the starter circuit have anything to do with the injectors opening/closing at all? I ask because the truck's starter relay is torn apart right now for a non-engine swap related project so I've been jumping the solenoid on the starter to get this thing to turn over.
    -Patrick

Senior Tuner
    Put cranking VE back to stock. Get an LED test light. Test for power on a pink wire from any injector. Then hook to non-pink wire and have someone crank the engine.

Cranking VE back to stock...
    -Patrick

Would not having the VSS hooked up cut fuel injectors? The transfer case is out so the VSS is unplugged right now in this truck.
    -Patrick

Senior Tuner
    no, vss has no influence. Check the wiring as I described.

I did. Fuel injector pink wires have constant power, and when cranking over the ground flashes intermitently. Seems like injectors are getting what they need.
    -Patrick

Senior Tuner
    when you shut the vats off, did you do a write entire? Pulsewidth still seem way to high.

I did do a write entire, and when I do a read entire just to make sure, VATS are disabled. What's the possibility ALL 8 injectors are stuck shut?
    -Patrick

I just let the engine crank for 45 seconds or more...you'd think with how much fuel that should have sprayed, fuel would be dripping from the header collectors. The plugs are still bone dry. Even though the wiring harness on each injector is triggering and firing, what's the possibility the injector isn't opening? All 8?
    -Patrick

Senior Tuner
    I have read about this happening with alcohol fuels, but never seen it first hand. You have a set of injectors you can swap?

I do have another set. They're stock injectors from an '03 LQ4 which were used in a running truck about 3-4 months ago. I'd hate to swap all injectors and find nothing changed but here goes nothing.
    -Patrick

Swapped to the 25.2lb LQ4 injectors. Updated injector data in newest tune, wrote to PCM. HOLY SHIT! Scared the crap outta me when it fired over. Didn't last long though before it died. See log.
    -Patrick

log the VATS status PID, that will tell you right away if its VATS.
    I count sheep in hex...

It runs lol. Can't let it run too long though cuz it's open headers till tomorrow.

Needs idle work like crazy lol.
    -Patrick