Thread: theft recovery option a problem when reading VCM ?

Potential Tuner

theft recovery option a problem when reading VCM ?

I have a 2000 TA with the theft recovery option (blinking red light on dash). When reading the VCM it cautions against using any accessories. Will there be a problem due to the theft recovery?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Advanced Tuner

Re: theft recovery option a problem when reading V

I don't think so, but I'm not the expert. I think that is a generic disclaimer they have to put on there to cover themselves. Just like software installations tell you to close everything before installing.

I read and write mine with the AC on, stereo on, interior lights on, OnStar, etc... Basically everything except the engine on.

My disclaimer: The opinions expressed by the Magic Chicken are his and do not reflect the opinions of the company in which you have invested. Don't try this at home, I'm a trained idiot.

Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Quote Originally Posted by retriever
    I have a 2000 TA with the theft recovery option (blinking red light on dash). When reading the VCM it cautions against using any accessories. Will there be a problem due to the theft recovery?

Thanks,
    Bruce
    reading the PCM is fine, you may want to try the "test write" option a few times to make sure you can write without any errors before you try the real thing.

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by retriever

Thanks,
    Bruce
    FWIW, I also have theft recovery enabled on my car and have had no problems whatsoever reading/writing to my VCM.

Nick
    2001 Camaro SS M6, No SLP Options, K&N FIPK, SLPP Dual/Dual, Pro 5.0, HPTuners &&Dynojet #\'s (SAE Corrected): 334rwhp/356rwtq&&

Potential Tuner

Thanks everybody for the help. I just got done doing the read, edit and write. Everything appears fine.

Bruce