Thread: '03 Sierra - Z06 Cam, NO PE?

'03 Sierra - Z06 Cam, NO PE?

Issues:

1. No PE
    2. Timing loss at 4k RPM

Backstory:

Picked up an '03 Sierra 4.8/5 Spd for my son's first car.

We stabbed in a 01 Z06 Cam ($60) and Yellow springs ($75) last weekend for a bit of education on how engines work.

Now Dad needs a bit of education on HPT with a WB.

I've used the software since 2003 when I put a G5X3 in my GTO, but this is my first try at WB tuning.

The VE table went well up to 4k RPM. No more than 1% error.

Issue now after tuning the MAF and enabling fuel trims...can't get the truck into PE mode. The tune is attached. The log is attached, rename to .csv!!

Not wanting to blow anything up...I went in back an disabled the MAF using these instructions: http://ls1tuningguide.com/tuningmanu...ons%20rev3.pdf
    and verified AFR WOT of 12.5 - 12.9.

The truck feels MUCH stronger, so I am pleased, just a bit bummed about the MAF abnormality.

I read the threads on delay values and have them zeroed.

Any help greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by Closer_2001; 05-04-2011 at 12:27 AM.
    '18 Sierra L5P
    '03 Sierra 4.8/NV 3500: LS6 Cam, HPT Tuned
    '15 Explorer Sport - SCT, AEM (Wife says...it feels faster??)
    '01 Z06

how are you confirming pe with the scanner? afr hires? your pe enrichment rate is so slow you may not be seeing it. try moving that to 4 and tps trigger lower just to confirm. and how come i can't ever find this sub 100 dollar z06 cam?
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

Everything in your PE Enable is zeroed out...I can't say if this is correct or incorrect for sure, but I have never seen it done that way.
    Also looks like alot of your traction control settings are still stock and may be retarding timing.
    I don't have my tune file handy or I'd upload it as a compare for zeroing applicable TCS tables...I'll try to remember this evening.

By the way, when is the front mount going on that bad boy dad?
    Last edited by RSTinOKC; 05-04-2011 at 11:30 PM.

[QUOTE=robbyredneck;254837]how are you confirming pe with the scanner?[/QUOTE=robbyredneck;254837]

Yes - 14.7 and leaner!!!

[QUOTE=robbyredneck;254837]afr hires?[/QUOTE=robbyredneck;254837]

Not sure on this. What do you mean?

[QUOTE=robbyredneck;254837]your pe enrichment rate is so slow you may not be seeing it. try moving that to 4 and tps trigger lower just to confirm.[/QUOTE=robbyredneck;254837]

Not sure here??

As for the cam - the 01 cams can be cheap. I think it is better suited to the truck power band
    '18 Sierra L5P
    '01 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by RSTinOKC View Post
    Everything in your PE Enable is zeroed out...I can't say if this is correct or incorrect for sure, but I have never seen it done that way.
    Also looks like alot of your traction control settings are still stock and may be retarding timing.
    I don't have my tune file handy or I'd upload it as a compare for zeroing applicable TCS tables...I'll try to remember this evening.

By the way, when is the front mount going on that bad boy dad?
    Thnx RST, will give it another look.

The truck doesn't have traction control, but it would be interesting if it still kicked in?

I think a low mile L33 and a Maggie would be first before the front mount...however I was a Buick guy back in the day, so who knows??
    '18 Sierra L5P
    '01 Z06

Your MAF curve looks a little funny, you might want to rework it. Same with VE.
    Your PE table gets leaner at higher rpm.
    As mentioned above the PE enrichment rate should be changed to something larger. I changed mine from stock(0.0195) to 1.0 and noticed the afr dropped a full second to second and a half faster on the dyno. I also chaged the RPM delay, but you already have that at zero.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post
    Your MAF curve looks a little funny, you might want to rework it. Same with VE.
    Your PE table gets leaner at higher rpm.
    As mentioned above the PE enrichment rate should be changed to something larger. I changed mine from stock(0.0195) to 1.0 and noticed the afr dropped a full second to second and a half faster on the dyno. I also chaged the RPM delay, but you already have that at zero.
    Plan was to shoot for 12.5 up to peak torque and then 12.9 to redline. I've done this before in other cars - but not the truck. I will change the enrichment rate. I can make it richer all the way across the board.

I tuned the VE up to 4000 RPM and MAF all across the board, smoothing it out by hand on a few cells. It was only showing AFR-Error off by 1-3% until it hit the WOT cells, then showing as much as 30%.

Don't know if anyone opened the log spreadsheet, I accidentally didn't save the log file, but commanded shows 14.68 regardless of throttle or RPM. Does commanded change in the scans if the PCM is in PE mode?
    '18 Sierra L5P
    '01 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Closer_2001 View Post
    Thnx RST, will give it another look.

The truck doesn't have traction control, but it would be interesting if it still kicked in?

I think a low mile L33 and a Maggie would be first before the front mount...however I was a Buick guy back in the day, so who knows??
    i meant afr hi resolution as a logable pid in the scanner and if you change the enrichment rate you will see the pe snap very quickly like joey said. also if you put a maggie on there instead of a turbo i will personally look into having your turbo buick membership card pulled
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Closer_2001 View Post
    Don't know if anyone opened the log spreadsheet, I accidentally didn't save the log file, but commanded shows 14.68 regardless of throttle or RPM. Does commanded change in the scans if the PCM is in PE mode?
    i couldnt open it. and yes if you log afr hi res you will see it change in the scanner
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by robbyredneck View Post
    also if you put a maggie on there instead of a turbo i will personally look into having your turbo buick membership card pulled
    LOL

Thanks for the clarification - I'll report back
    '18 Sierra L5P
    '01 Z06

^^^ LOL...
    I know of a guy thats making right at 600/600 at the wheels with a 76 and z06 cam/springs on a 4.8 5spd.