Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me there is a way to.....

Tuner in Training

Please tell me there is a way to.....

Is there a way to command a tune to stay in idle control/ fuel trim cell 20 until a defined TPS % is met?

A quick recap as to why I need this to happen. I have a 2001 Camaro with a 408 and powerglide. Since we put the PG in it, the TPS works it's way up to 2% at idle and falls into FTC22 which kills all adaptive idle spark control. It was not an issue until we installed the new Big A$$ Baby Huey cam. It idles great until the tps sees 2% and it falls into FTC 22. Then the timing locks into the appropriate timing cell and the idle goes to crap. I have done the obvious and I'm not sure there is a way to manipulate the tune, but I'm up for trying anything at this point.

Mechanically, I have checked and added all grounds, tried 3 different NEW TPS sensors as well as clocking them. The AFR is happy, the RAF and IAC are dialed in and I have used the VCM controls to find the spark sweet spot, but it wants the adaptive idle controls active to be real stable.

The TPS issue started when when we swapped from the stcok style 4L60E to the PG. the other cam didn't seem to mind staying in FTC22 with the timing locked, but the new big stick is pissed off.lol.

I have commanded a higher idle, but it locks at 1200 rpm for some reason.

This is a drag racing car that is bracket/index specific. It has a 6000 stall and stays above 5800rpm after the hit. I just need it to stay in FTC 20 until after 4% TPS. Please tell me it's possible.

I have attached my tune so you can see that I did all that I can do to get it to stay in FTC 20 with no success.

What is your TPS voltage? Did you do a TPS reset?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I reset the TPS quite a few times and each time I tested a new TPS or clocked the TPS. It starts out at zero and does great for about 2-3 minutes and then slowly works it's way up to 2% which is when the idle craps out as it hits FTC22. The funny thing is that the TPS volts stay at .55-.57 even thought the TPS goes up to 2%. As long as I don't touch the throttle it will do fine, but after a few blips it climbs up or just doesn't drop down to 0 as it should.

I was hoping there was a way to set the required TPS a bit higher to stay in the idle FTC 20 until I exceed say 4%.

If someone finds a fix for this, please have your paypal address ready.lol.

I know there are some TPS settings in the dynamic airflow tab, not sure if any of these tie in though.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

for a cable throttle the only way the tps can change is if the cable opens it or the TPS sensor is loose or bad. I've never ever heard of the TPS sensor increasing if the throttle is not opening.
    I count sheep in hex...

You may need to check and make sure the return spring on the throttle body is pulling the blade all the way back against the bumpstop.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    I actually disconnected the throttle cable and once the issue started I manually ripped the throttle and manually pulled the tb closed as much a sI could use with manual force with no change in TPS%.

I did notice it gets stupid at 1% sometimes before the 2% TPS value shows up and it appears to be MAP sensitive as well. It idles at 78-85 ish kpa with this cam which has a lot of overlap and doesn't offer a lot of vacuum by design.

If the TPS voltage changed with the TPS % I could swallow this better, but that's not the case. In FTC 20 it idles like dream, but it gets dizzy when FTC 22 shows it's ugly face at idle.

I'm open for any options you have for me to try. I did raise the tables in the dyn airflow tables so it has to have 4% TPS is met, but that had no bearing on the end result. I just feel like we are missing a table that determines when the idle tables control vs when the wot tables take over.

Advanced Tuner
    Does the car ever have a check engine light appear?

I made two small changes. Do a compare to see the change.

Tuner in Training
    Sam- The only MIL light I get is for the PO101 MAF sensor fail, but that is intentional as it is set up in OLSD.

I am unable to open the file you attached. It says the index is outside of the array, whatever that means.
    2001 Camaro SS - 9.39@142mph with 1.29 60fts All motor 445 HKE Stroker / Greg Good / TFS Project "Wife's Pump Gas Grocery Getter"

Quickest LSX All motor pump gas record holder

Advanced Tuner
    It means you need the Beta version
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Tuner in Training
    I should have known that.lol. Thanks Flame

I have requested the 2.23 Beta version, but it may take a few days. I know the guys are backed up.

Sam- Any chance you could shoot me the screen shots you were referencing so I can try the changes?

TIA

[email protected]
    Last edited by TXCAMSS; 01-20-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    for a cable throttle the only way the tps can change is if the cable opens it or the TPS sensor is loose or bad. I've never ever heard of the TPS sensor increasing if the throttle is not opening.
    I once had exactly that problem.
    Car was a cammed 98 bird, after a few minutes at idle TPS% raised from 0% to 2% or even 4% . Idle speed climbed to 1800-2000 RPM. I unplugged the TPS sensor and the idle returned to normal.
    I did a TPS reset a few times and worked for a few minutes then 2% at idle again. TPS volts were 0.57

The throttle was not opening nor loose. I checked it and was closed
    A few times the car didn't want to start. I scanned it before cranking and the TPS was at 14%. After a TPS reset to 0% it started fine with no other changes.

However, this car had "TPS low voltage" and "TPS intermitent low voltage" DTC's, cleared them and they tripped again.

With the engine off, shim the throttle open so it reads 2%. Assuming voltage is still under 0.67V or whatever the magic number is, do a TPS reset. After you reset it, take the shim out. This should give you some play for what it considers 0%.

It is definitely odd that it's not changing the voltage at all though.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    I will give that a shot right now and report back.

Tuner in Training
    No luck guys. Same old song and dance.

I thought I might even be able to just raise the target idle rpm to say 1300-1350 since we have such a loose converter, but the highest idle I can command is 1200 rpm for some reason. I can put 1400 in the target idle tables, but it only idles at 1200 and the scanner shows target idle rpm as 1200.

I did notice this evening in the logs that when it works it's way up to 1-2% TPS, the TPS voltage comes up a bit. It started at .63v and came up to .65 when FTC 22 showed up and the idle started going out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCAMSS View Post
    No luck guys. Same old song and dance.

I thought I might even be able to just raise the target idle rpm to say 1300-1350 since we have such a loose converter, but the highest idle I can command is 1200 rpm for some reason. I can put 1400 in the target idle tables, but it only idles at 1200 and the scanner shows target idle rpm as 1200.

I did notice this evening in the logs that when it works it's way up to 1-2% TPS, the TPS voltage comes up a bit. It started at .63v and came up to .65 when FTC 22 showed up and the idle started going out the window.
    Did you try setting the TPS to zero while it was shimmed up to 0.65V?

How are you resetting the TPS?...

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I actually had the tps voltage at .57 intially. I added a cardboard shim to show 2% and then with the key on, I dissconnected the tps and left it for 3 minutes. Then I turned the key off (and killed the main power cut-off switch) for 5 minutes. Then I pulled the shim,reconnected the TPS, powered the car up and started it up. It was fine for a while, but one trip around the block and it's back to double footing again.

Advanced Tuner
    Here are the screen shots.

If you are getting a voltage change it will be very hard to keep the tps at 0%.

Can you post a log of whats going on so we understand it?
    Last edited by Sam88gta1; 01-20-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Shim it, turn the key off, THEN disconnect the TPS and flip the key back on for a minute or so. Then key off, take the shim out, and plug the TPS sensor back in.

Tuner in Training
    OK I'll make the MAP change in my tune and do the TPS reset again as requested.

I don't have the Beta version yet so the rolling idle part will have to wait.

I'll report back with results and I'll try to get some logs to show what's going on.

Thanks again guys!