Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lean Cruise mode

Advanced Tuner

Re: Lean Cruise mode

but thats illegal!!!

you just used HPtuners to force open loop operation on the highway which has already been stated as being illegal. Open loop can only be used for off road operation ie:-racing. So whats more illegal? open loop on the highway or lean cruise?

the whole point of this thread was about the lean cruise mode that is already in the pcm and how to enable it, not how to fiddle #@$@ a bypass or quasi mode.
    There is no replacement for displacement?&&sure there is, its called a Blower!

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by rattle
    but thats illegal!!!

you just used HPtuners to force open loop operation on the highway which has already been stated as being illegal. Open loop can only be used for off road operation ie:-racing. So whats more illegal? open loop on the highway or lean cruise?

the whole point of this thread was about the lean cruise mode that is already in the pcm and how to enable it, not how to fiddle #@$@ a bypass or quasi mode.
    Can't we just drop this conversation? I am sure it is just giving most of us headaches.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser
    Can't we just drop this conversation? I am sure it is just giving most of us headaches.
    I second this motion. The powers that be have said many times in the past that Lean Cruise will not be enabled on vehicles that it is not enabled from the factory. No more sense in beating this dead horse. If you figure out how to hack the VCM to enable it yourself, let us know.
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire BUT are you guys seeing the lean cruise fields greyed out so you cannot edit them?

1982 GMC S15 5.3 4L80e
    1954 Corvette ls swap in progress

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    I don't mean to add fuel to the fire BUT are you guys seeing the lean cruise fields greyed out so you cannot edit them?

Mine is not greyed out, but it doesn't do anything when modified either.

My Myspace page

Potential Tuner

Funny, mine is 16:1 at cruise ???

Edit: My Z, not my TA. Of course, it's unintentional in there and it never got emissions tested (too old).
    78 280Z, "a few bolt-ons" - Heads, cam, intake, full exhaust, gears, limited slip, Nitto DRs, and two extra cylinders [email protected] slipity doo dah
    99 Trans Am, "Daily Driver" - 525rwhp/475rwtq @ 5psi (4/14/05)

Tuner in Training

that's funny, I enabled mine on my 03 SSS with the baseline of an aussie car and some tweaking and got a well documented +2mpg on the highway. it was over a 650 mile roadtrip, so I was completely convinced it worked.

Advanced Tuner

Die thread! Die!
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by 383 ss
    that's funny, I enabled mine on my 03 SSS with the baseline of an aussie car and some tweaking and got a well documented +2mpg on the highway. it was over a 650 mile roadtrip, so I was completely convinced it worked.

You will see it on the scantool when it goes into lean cruise , commanded AFR slips to about 16:1 then when you go into pe it takes about 15 secs to return to lean cruise .

Nice thing is every now and then it will slip back to 14.6:1 check the O2 correction and if everything is fine then it drops back into lean cruise again

Tuner in Training

heh, did a search, got this mess.......

so heres a question... on my 2002 fbody bin, if i change the enable speed to 50mph.........................what happens?

if i change the "delay" what happens?

i have a leanout rate that i can change... what does it do?

my two tables are zeroed out......

1991 Camaro Convertible with 02 LS1

Tuner in Training

btw, its stupid to use the terms illegal or legal on any of this... doing so is just a libility.

100% of using HPtuners is not EPA legal. you're modding the car. not for hwy use.
    1991 Camaro Convertible with 02 LS1

Advanced Tuner

this topic is dead, it's not going to happen. let it rest peacefully.

My Myspace page

Tuner in Training

This is my take on the LCM. Comparing bins of Holden and GM – the operating system portion of code is exact. Also LCM in reality is not ‘part’ of the operating system. Being an embedded coder by trade, I suspect the operating system symbolizes the shell of code (the main idle loop where other code is executed from – jumps to fueling, transmission, engine so on so forth). The operating system supports LCM, yet LCM from what I can determine is encased in the fueling portion of code, not the operating system. Now, if GM never intended to support LCM, it is not in that fueling code. The data space for variables will still be there; being the same operating system is shared and used widely amongst platforms, but when a jump is made to use LCM, it is returned by either
    1) a hidden, inaccessible by HPT, enable bit
    2) a hard coded return with NO code to support being GM does not support LCM which would require HPT to re-write portions of code much like your 2 bar SD code option and such.

As a programmer, if 2 is the case which I highly suspect, (why code it if you don’t use it?) this would require HPT much work to alter code amongst the many differing years and platforms. To request such modification would wield a justifiable cost just like your SD tunes they provide. But for what? To provide an infraction on federal ruling that states this code is not emissions compliant. I’m not a fan of emissions, believe me, but HPT is taking the stance to NOT fight that fight for you. Risk vs consequence vs cost. I would rather see them taking the stance on code that excels performance, which is exactly what they are doing now. Their logo is “Performance at your fingertips” NOT “get and extra MPG out of your V8”.

As for comments that ‘the other guys’ allow LCM. I see no proof of this. They allow visibility on the tables just like HPT, but nothing differs between the two on ‘what’ they alter. There is no visibility as of yet that I have seen that has this miraculous ‘enable’. But hey, if the ‘other guys’ do enable LCM and you have seen it, get me the un-encrypted bin it creates! I’ll see how they did it and tell you all. No skin off my nose and thank you “other guys”!

I encourage those that wish to have LCM, to start tearing GM code down, comparing and testing. Lets see if it can be done. Become part of the testing community. Otherwise, HPT is not going to do it for you, and I believe at this point they have made that very clear.

2001 TransAm WS6 Mods? What mods?

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by CatSkynr
    This is my take on the LCM. Comparing bins of Holden and GM – the operating system portion of code is exact. Also LCM in reality is not ‘part’ of the operating system. Being an embedded coder by trade, I suspect the operating system symbolizes the shell of code (the main idle loop where other code is executed from – jumps to fueling, transmission, engine so on so forth). The operating system supports LCM, yet LCM from what I can determine is encased in the fueling portion of code, not the operating system. Now, if GM never intended to support LCM, it is not in that fueling code. The data space for variables will still be there; being the same operating system is shared and used widely amongst platforms, but when a jump is made to use LCM, it is returned by either
    1) a hidden, inaccessible by HPT, enable bit
    2) a hard coded return with NO code to support being GM does not support LCM which would require HPT to re-write portions of code much like your 2 bar SD code option and such.

As a programmer, if 2 is the case which I highly suspect, (why code it if you don’t use it?) this would require HPT much work to alter code amongst the many differing years and platforms. To request such modification would wield a justifiable cost just like your SD tunes they provide. But for what? To provide an infraction on federal ruling that states this code is not emissions compliant. I’m not a fan of emissions, believe me, but HPT is taking the stance to NOT fight that fight for you. Risk vs consequence vs cost. I would rather see them taking the stance on code that excels performance, which is exactly what they are doing now. Their logo is “Performance at your fingertips” NOT “get and extra MPG out of your V8”.

As for comments that ‘the other guys’ allow LCM. I see no proof of this. They allow visibility on the tables just like HPT, but nothing differs between the two on ‘what’ they alter. There is no visibility as of yet that I have seen that has this miraculous ‘enable’. But hey, if the ‘other guys’ do enable LCM and you have seen it, get me the un-encrypted bin it creates! I’ll see how they did it and tell you all. No skin off my nose and thank you “other guys”!

I encourage those that wish to have LCM, to start tearing GM code down, comparing and testing. Lets see if it can be done. Become part of the testing community. Otherwise, HPT is not going to do it for you, and I believe at this point they have made that very clear.
    Then "other guys" have clearly stated they will be giving speed density and lean cruise enable as a seperate operating system as a free upgrade to all their customers as well as free lifetime upgrades on their software - now thats supporting your customer base.

Advanced Tuner

My Myspace page

Tuner in Training

2001 TransAm WS6 Mods? What mods?