Thread: Utilizing a file from a diffrnt PCM(same yr/model)

Tuner in Training

Utilizing a file from a diffrnt PCM(same yr/model)

Just curious if I can utilize an entire bin file from a different car, but same year, make and model. I recently SD-tuned a 2004 A4 Corvette after cam install. I just duplicated the mod's on a similar 2004 A4 Corvette. Only difference is rear gears. If I can do this, it would save me a ton of tuning time...

Can I just overwrite the VIN, segment and checksum ID #'s then burn that down to the new car? I thought I would post this first before trying it and hurting the PCM.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Utilizing a file from a diffrnt PCM(same yr/mo

I think you need the pro model to overwrite the VIN.
    Look in getting started with VCM suite (writing to VCM)

Tuner in Training

Yes, I can overwrite the VIN, that's not my question. I am curious if that is all I need to do to use a whole other bin file from another car. The segment and checksum IDs are not the same even though both are 2004 A4 Corvette's. I dont want to download a VIN-modified tune if it is gonna cause me issues.

Anyone?

Senior Tuner

You need to verify that the OS is the same, according to what I recall from one of Chris's posts. This may only pertain to re-flashing to a different model year though. I would email support first and find out. I believe you can, then just switch the VINs.

Tuner in Training

Just copy all the tables you modified, shouldnt take that long..... you don't have to re-tune the thing.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by 98_LS1
    Just copy all the tables you modified, shouldnt take that long..... you don't have to re-tune the thing.
    doesnt answer my question. I'm aware I can take the laborious time of copy/paste...this is what I want to avoid. I really want to quick check a previous tune that worked well on another similar modded car as a starting point. It would take a very long time to cup/paste all the changed tables from one bin into another just so I can try it out.

Anyone else out there have an answer to original question? Chris, you out there?!

Tuner in Training

I was wonder the sane thing. Sure would make thing alot quicker.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2500HD ECLB w/6.0 , 4L80E auto, 4.10 G80, K&N, Nelson Dyno Tune, STS Turbo, 02 PCM, IC, 44lb injectors,walbro 255lph, 05 E-Fans, and 160* t
    2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 , 4.7 HO Needing HPTuner

Tuner in Training

Honestly, no two cars are alike. I would not copy that tune over unless you are willing to rescan the car when you drive it and make changes.

Rick

Tuner in Training

Yes you can. I have done it many times. If internal and peripherals match, there won’t be an issue. Same year/spec-type is a no brainier. What you need to be careful about is non-matched years. For example a 98 F-body CANNOT use anything other than the 98 flash. But 99 to 02 can use each others; you just need to mod the tables in the years that had differing internals to match ‘their; (engine specific) spec – ie fuel injectors and cam.

So – no. You won’t burn out the PCM and you can always go back if you are uncomfortable with the result. You want to perform a FULL REWRITE REFLASH – so unless you pull a doh! You’re PCM will be fine. Then just match the VIN back to the car.

Also- don't forget to do the VATs Relearn....

I do however suggest you do not bypass verification on said car to ensure it is running properly. Don’t skimp on the service.
    2001 TransAm WS6 Mods? What mods?

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by CatSkynr
    Yes you can. I have done it many times. If internal and peripherals match, there won’t be an issue. Same year/spec-type is a no brainier. What you need to be careful about is non-matched years. For example a 98 F-body CANNOT use anything other than the 98 flash. But 99 to 02 can use each others; you just need to mod the tables in the years that had differing internals to match ‘their; (engine specific) spec – ie fuel injectors and cam.

So – no. You won’t burn out the PCM and you can always go back if you are uncomfortable with the result. You want to perform a FULL REWRITE REFLASH – so unless you pull a doh! You’re PCM will be fine. Then just match the VIN back to the car.

Also- don't forget to do the VATs Relearn....

I do however suggest you do not bypass verification on said car to ensure it is running properly. Don’t skimp on the service.
    Thanks Cat!!
    Remind me again the VATS relearn procedure. My All Data has the procedure but if I recall this is done easily with HPT?

Tuner in Training

It’s under the ‘Pro Tuner Functions’ – ‘Force VCM/BCM Relink’. It re-writes the data to FF to default said car to do the relearn itself. So this has to be done in the bin prior to flashing in the VCM Editor. You can also do the VIN this way also to cut time. That way, being you are re-writing the entire PCM, do not have to select ‘Rewrite VIN/TunerLock/VATS’. One less step.

It usually takes a turn to ON wait a couple seconds (ie 30 – 60 secs), turn to OFF then START. Otherwise the car just won't start on the first try or two until the BCM relinks and the data is xfered to the PCM.
    2001 TransAm WS6 Mods? What mods?