Thread: OBDIII

OBDIII

California screwin things up again...

OBD III
    Have you heard anything recently about OBD III? Michael McCarthy of CARB shared some of the latest news about what's happening in this area.
    “We paid a contractor to build up a couple of mock cars with remote transmitting systems and demonstrate that it was technically feasible to have a system that sends out a remote transmittal when the check engine light comes on,” said McCarthy. “A pretty basic contract since there are already systems like On-Star and LoJack.”

This prototype system was built by GM Hughes Electronics, and uses a roadside transmitter to interrogate vehicles as they pass by. The system is reportedly capable of retrieving information from eight lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic whizzing by at speeds up to 100 mph!

“The concept is to stop requiring smog checks for every passing car and only test the failing cars. It would likely be a voluntary system - when you buy the car you could choose whether to go to smog check every two years or pay $xxx and never have to go to smog check,” said McCarthy. “You would, however, have to push a button on the dash once every three months that would send a signal that identifies your vehicle and the status of the check engine light. If you forgot to push the button you would probably get a letter in the mail telling you to press it or bring it in for inspection. If you pressed the button while the MIL was on, you would probably get a letter in the mail saying you have 60 days(?) to correct the problem and press the button again. If the MIL came on and you got it fixed before you pressed the button, you would never get any notice in the mail. There would not be a continuous signal identifying the location of the car or anything like that.”

Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Re: OBDIII

There would not be a continuous signal identifying the location of the car or anything like that.
    Unless they have changed thier minds, I thought they were going to use OBD III as a way to monitor speeding as well. If you went above the speed limit for a certin amount of time they would just mail you your ticket...If it ever comes to that point I'm going to be walking...or building a muscle car

from what I'm reading something like Onstar can communicate the VIN, location, speed, direction of travel etc. It can also communicate any detected mods or emmision info. Cali was looking at it for the smog police but the more I read the more people seem to be worried about privacy violations.

Say you do a burnout and run hard to the speed limit. You stop at a stop sign and proceed when safe. Some bozo runs the stop sign, t-boning your car.
    You go to court and say "I stopped fully at the sign, then went when it was safe"
    The other guys lawyer then produces the evidence you were NOT driving safely just before the accident. All recorded without your consent from the onstar info. Oops.. you lose the case and your insurance due to your driving habits.
    Dont think the insurers wont pay to have this implemented.. if they could monitor your driving habits and adjust your policy.. believe me they would!

Its bad enough with the onboard black box data recorder...

My rant for today ;D
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Potential Tuner

The bill was signed last month in Ca and this remote spying will come into effect.
    They not only can pull you over for a instant smog check but testing has been going on that via Vsat they will even be able to reduce injector pulse width or even shut them off.

EPA through the air testing has been going on via GM since 1996 and in France they are already testing Vsat and control of speeders remotely

Tuner

If this is all true.. Ill just never buy a new car again.. Ill stick with new motorcycles. Unless of course they decide to do the same on those... bastards.
    &&-=#Determined to figure out the PCM in my 2k Impala#=-&&http://www.lynoise.com

I can see a big push for this.. for 1 thing.. high speed chases. Send a signal that shuts off the car..

cops, attorney generals, general public.. that will be their selling point.

Tuner in Training

I can see both the pros and cons, but I like my privacy, and if the tracking system from big brother does come into effect, I will either disable it (somehow) or never buy a vehicle that is equipped with it, it's none of their business, where I am, or what speed I am driving at. Not that I support driving excessivly fast, I am usually only about 10 Km/h or so over, but still none of their nosey business.
    The Raven: Under Construction&&\"James\" 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid, GM Performance cam, custom headers, MPFI, more to come.&&&&\"Speed costs, How fast do you want to go?\"

Tuner in Training

read the patriot act if you really want to see an atrocity. and fuck obd3. they could just make the same signal you car broadcast track you down via triangulation.

Here's something you guys might not know. Your cell phone allows you to be tracked! As long as its on it sends a ESN to all towers within its reach. They store signal strength and other info. Right now a court order is needed but if the cops ask you if you was at your drug dealin friends house and you deny it, they can pull records and show you was there. The partiot act makes it easier to get those records.. alot easier..

BTW.. if your in an enhanced 911 area your records are public and dont require a court order. Your location shows up as soon as you dial 911

There's some good reading on this on google

Quote Originally Posted by RoboGeek
    California screwin things up again...

The system is reportedly capable of retrieving information from eight lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic whizzing by at speeds up to 100 mph!
    Note to self.. Exceed 100mph in all OBD-III cars. ;D
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Potential Tuner

This is great! Now when someone is tailgating me, I can simply turn off their vehicle... Hmmmm.... or even that black and white thing with the red lights on top...

Potential Tuner

Big Brother is watching...

BowlingSS
    2001 Camaro LPM A4 -TSP 233/233 .595/.595 112+2 Torquer Cam,SLP Headers/Y-Pipe/High-Flow Air-Box Lid-SLP Cold-Air Induction Kit-SLP F-Body Smooth Bellows-K&N Air Filter, Etc...

Potential Tuner

What if I was taking a sick child to the hospital and they shut off my car? There seems to be many liabilities to this issue. What if a satalite goes on the fritz and several cars on the Freeway go dead, no power steering, no power brakes and there is a massive accident? Who would be at fault? I think it is much more than just privacy issues at stake when they want to implement this type of control. Besides with all of the hackers out there I would think we could make these things always transmit all is OK. Just my .02 worth. I do NOT think they should be allowed to implement any systems of this type. The more our country moves into the next millenium the more we are becoming a country ruled by politicians and police.

Tuner in Training

There was a second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Quote Originally Posted by Technoman64
    I think it is much more than just privacy issues at stake when they want to implement this type of control. Besides with all of the hackers out there I would think we could make these things always transmit all is OK. Just my .02 worth. I do NOT think they should be allowed to implement any systems of this type. The more our country moves into the next millenium the more we are becoming a country ruled by politicians and police.
    I tend to agree with you that the system could be abused. If people can "steal" DirecTV why couldn't they hack an OBDIII system. (Why not start here ;D)

The OBDIII system's functionality has to be made public (at least at the SAE level anyway) to even be considered by the automakers. The privacy issue alone will probably kill it anyway.

BTW: Does your phone have GPS?

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner

It's a never ending battle with these folks.

What we need is to expand the freeway system by adding new ones or increasing the capacity of existing ones.

If the cars out here did not have to spend 90% of their time idling on a freeway, there would not be a smog issue.

I doubt OBDIII will ever get past the privacy issue.

Super Sport x2

I remember the horror stories when OBDII was getting close to coming out and IMO its the best thing that could've happened (gonna get alot of S$*T about this)

OBDIII won't happen the way everyone is talking because there are so many freedoms that would be breached.

It's a never ending battle with these folks.

What we need is to expand the freeway system by adding new ones or increasing the capacity of existing ones.

If the cars out here did not have to spend 90% of their time idling on a freeway, there would not be a smog issue.

I doubt OBDIII will ever get past the privacy issue.
    sums it up for me
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires