Thread: Retrofitting And programming

Potential Tuner

Retrofitting And programming

Hello all,

I'm totally new to the forum, and have a couple of questions about hptuner software. I recently bought a 1987 20th annivesary Convertible Camaro. I Really want to put this beauty back on the road and do it right. So i bought a LS1 engine and BW T56 speed transmission for the car. There are several good websites on doing the swap and several places to buy restoration parts, but not to many places that really talk much about the PCM. So My question is: If I buy Hptuner software will it allow me to program the PCM for my trans, gear ratio, remove anti-theft and things such as that? I have the complete uncut wiring harness and original PCM with the LS1 and transmisson all from the same 1998 Z28 Camaro. So should I purchase the Suite for the 1998 Z28 or is there a suite I need for retrofitting? Any help would be great. I am a Industrial Electronics Instructor, so wiring and pic programming doesn't bother me, I just want to do it right the first time.

Tuner in Training

Re: Retrofitting And programming

From my experience, ’98 PCM cannot be reflashed to a later year (98 is the only one I have had problems with), so you’ll need the 98 suite. Yes, you can control everything you stated plus more.

On a side note – PM me if you need adapter plates to convert SB Chevy engine mounts to LS1 mounts, I’ll give you the shops email and #. I have done a few PCM tunes on LS1 Hybrids and have a shop here in AZ that designs these - has them in stock, powder coated to your color, ready to go. They work like a champ.
    2001 TransAm WS6 Mods? What mods?

Potential Tuner

Thanks I'll pm you in a little bit, I was going to make my own but if the price is good I just buy them.
    Kn

Advanced Tuner

In case you haven't been there, www.LS1Tech.com has a good Conversions&Hybrids forum. (I'm a moderator over there.)

Good luck with your swap. I case you haven't read yet, '98s seem to be the red-headed stepchild of the LS1 PCMs. If it were me, I'd try to find a '99+ (or preferably '01+) PCM and harness and use that. Or, check out this thread and see if someone comes up with a solution for upgrading the '98 harness to use the later PCM.

-Matt
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06