Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simulated VE tables for the E38s

Tuner in Training

Simulated VE tables for the E38s

EFI live has the ability to give a tuner a simulated VE table so that one can input changes, then it in turn inputs in the correct values into the tables. Is this something HPT can do for us, I know that you guys are already working on a SD 2.5bar solution but for those of us that wants to retain the OE MAF strategy I would like to see this feature added to the software.

It would be great! I am upgrading the OS anyway (when it's available) because I'm hitting the 512 g/sec limit, but I would still like to see it for other vehicles.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck

It would be great! I am upgrading the OS anyway (when it's available) because I'm hitting the 512 g/sec limit, but I would still like to see it for other vehicles.
    I would hope that they can do something. EFI live has it as a virtual VE table in their software. If they can do it surely HPT can also add it to theirs.

Frankly Bluecat's stuff works great and it recalculates the RPM & MAP breakpoints which the other program doesn't do.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    bluecats software works very nice. A bit cumbersome to come in and out of HPtuners and such but works regardless.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tjwong
    I would hope that they can do something. EFI live has it as a virtual VE table in their software. If they can do it surely HPT can also add it to theirs.
    and its a massive pain in the ass. it is hit and miss at the best of times.. one time you will pull 10% out and it will take 20 and other times you will pull 10 out and it will take 3 out..

thats the reason my efi live cable is now in a cupboard up stairs gathering dust..

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1
    and its a massive pain in the ass. it is hit and miss at the best of times.. one time you will pull 10% out and it will take 20 and other times you will pull 10 out and it will take 3 out..

thats the reason my efi live cable is now in a cupboard up stairs gathering dust..
    In general the whole Virtual VE is a very complex mathematical process to get all the coefficients displayed as a conventional VE table. In that you have zones that must blend into each other and often at times your intended results are different than what the VVE program produces.

IMO NOT having access to manipulating the whole VVE on a boosted engine is nothing short of an incomplete tune.

I personally bounce between bluecat's software, HPT, EFILive and my own LabView application when messing around with the VVE.
    However nothing against HPT, but I most often end up with EFILive attached in the car because I can log all the PID's I want and display WB02 data at the same time.
    I see it as to each is own, but I will say for sure that while there are multiple 'ends to a mean' sticking with one mean to the end is much easier than trying to lean every system.
    It would be nice for HPT to integrate a VVE solution however I wouldn't go out and purchase EFILive just because HPT doesn't have VVE.
    -Adam Chant SCdyne Performance "Tune it or lose it!"

Advanced Tuner
    we are lucky to have the custom OS for the e38's that gives a full VE table so no need for the VVE anymore...

once all the OS's have this no one will use the vve...

Quote Originally Posted by scdyne
    However nothing against HPT, but I most often end up with EFILive attached in the car because I can log all the PID's I want and display WB02 data at the same time.
    Why can't you do this with our software? We were actually the first to have WBO2 inputs ya know
    I count sheep in hex...

Yeah, HPT scanner is the shit

Bluecat's stuff does work great. I can go through the key strokes and get it done in about 2 minutes, not including the final calculation time. It works very well when you have the same car you are going to keep messing with. Copy the equation out table to the equation, convert that to VE, paste that VE in a 2005 file, tune as usual, put the new VE in and wait for it to calculate. Lot of steps but not a lot of time. The only part that would be easier would be copying data to the tune file, which with copy and paste still does not take but a minute to do.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner
    No offense to anyone that is using Blucat's software in conjunction with HP Tuners but after a couple of hours of trying that approach I went and purchased EFILive. There is no comparison in terms of efficiency. If you are only working on your personal vehicle and have time the HP route will probably suffice but in a setting where you need to turn a car in a day HP/Bluecat doesn't cut it. EFILive's coefficient generation is instant... Blucat's is minutes. The lack of integration and the time to generate the coefficients quickly gets old.

If anyone thinks I'm trying to bash Blucat/HP I'm not. I've used both and have just shared my personal experience about which one is the better solution if you do not want to go to a custom OS.

Tim

It all depends how efficient the user is I guess. It takes me NO extra time to tune an LS3. Just have to reorder how you do things to allow for the calculations he has to complete. A day is a lot of time to tune a car, I can get a full LS3 done in just about as long as an LS1 car thanks to Bluecat
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Do doubt having it built in the tuning software is the berries. I get aggrovated having to keep pasting data back and forth like everyone else.

But on the 30-40 seconds it takes to generate an equation constant set, thats just what it takes. I haven't seen there current version of EFIlive's VVE, but the first public release of it made it look like thier solution to keeping zone boundries intact was to make the zone planes flat. The only way I could make it yield the results I wanted was to was to make it "think" like a person, which takes time. Any type of strait math approach dosen't cut it. Thats why the spreadsheet solutions with math packages didn't work very well.

Ktoonsez has a sweat little solution that pastes the data back and forth for you. All you have to do is open the tables up in hpt and it does the rest. Hopfully we will have it integrated into my program in a little while. If nothing else it will make it more painless.

Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1
    once all the OS's have this no one will use the vve...
    I'd agree if it was free...

I hope HPT rakes it in with the custom os's, they have defintaly put the time in on them and should make many people lives easier. But for me and other people that either understand the non-ve setups and don't mind or are tight asses and won't spring the jack for a custom os, the stock os will live on. What many people hate, I think is the best thing to come around in a while. It can be a pain in the butt, but we finally have a stock os so flexible that taking a N/A setup FI (natively) is as simple as installing a mutli-bar map sensor and making a few changes in the calibration. Pretty neat stuff in my book.

Virtual VE table is still on our to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    Virtual VE table is still on our to-do list.
    Just out of pure curiosity...hasn't that list been growing at an exponential rate for quite some time now?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02
    Just out of pure curiosity...hasn't that list been growing at an exponential rate for quite some time now?
    Unfortunately yes. so many customers, so many feature requests, so little time.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecat
    I'd agree if it was free...

I hope HPT rakes it in with the custom os's, they have defintaly put the time in on them and should make many people lives easier. But for me and other people that either understand the non-ve setups and don't mind or are tight asses and won't spring the jack for a custom os, the stock os will live on. What many people hate, I think is the best thing to come around in a while. It can be a pain in the butt, but we finally have a stock os so flexible that taking a N/A setup FI (natively) is as simple as installing a mutli-bar map sensor and making a few changes in the calibration. Pretty neat stuff in my book.
    once you have used it you will throw all the caculators and programs in the bin..

the HPT custom os is light years ahead of anything else out there..
    i use it on every NA or boosted E38 PCM we do now,
    it is dead accurate and works as it is suppose to, the EFI VVE is hit and miss and will do what it wants not what you tell it to do..

i was the same as you, i wouldnt spring for it and was using EFI live with the VVE, then i sprung for it once and will never look back..

So are 2006 Corvette Z06s eligible for the 2.5bar E38 custom OS now?...

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    you will have to check with Chris the progress of that, we have them for the holden cars..