Thread: Poor Mans Super Charger:)

Poor Mans Super Charger:)

My brother sent this to me........you gotta give him a break he drives a 2001 Cobra

http://www.acuraintegra.org/super_charger.htm

I have often thought about a high volume fan just to bring in more air. This guy came up with a reasonable solution, but then again it is on a ricer

Any ideas? Good bad or indifferent on its merits??

Enjoy.....

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its kinda like the airplain on a conveyer belt argument, some will argue the turbine will actually hinder performance while others will argue that it should help.

Personally I'm on the hinder performance side of it until someone proves without a doubt otherwise.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Yeah, my first thought was the motor itself would block flow. But at 24,000 RPM gotta move some air!!!

I am looking for some TEST Results, nada so far.

I am sure someone will come back with a definitive answer

HAve funnnnnn

Advanced Tuner
    Seems to me like it could be beneficial for low-end torque, and yet would become more and more of a restriction to airflow as engine RPM go up.

I guess it'd have to move more air than the engine can stock. Possibly a lot more. If so, then, could it be made 'variable' depending on engine RPM? ...

--- edit ---

Oh ... its switch-activated at WOT - ok, then it needs considerable CFM to even have a shot at doing anything.
    Last edited by LazMan; 08-11-2008 at 02:59 PM.

How much horsepower does it take to produce enough electricity to spin the fan that nets you more horsepower?

lol, if a $35 electric fan from an RC plane helped at all you would think every engine would have one...

OEM's have spent millions on electric supercharger, turbo, mechanical, and also hybrid designs over the years. If a $35 hobby fan is all it takes sounds like a lot of exepensive boffin time was wasted...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

Thumbs down Beginning Tuner

There is no way an electric fan can produce any kind of noticeable boost at 24,000 rpm. The impellers of belt driven superchargers are in the hundreds of thousands of rpm and only get higher with the engine rpm while still only supplying a constant 7 or 8 psi at full throttle depending on what your running. 24,000 rpm of a little plastic fan will do absolutely nothing but waste time and money, the extremely small amount of air it produces (which cant be more than 1 or 2 psi at the very most) simply does not compensated for the amount of restriction the fan adds to the intake. These are an obvious rip off, like the 2 dollar racing chips on ebay. You are fooling yourself if you think that forced induction is as simple as putting an electric fan in your intake. Dont get me wrong when I first heard it i considered the idea too, but after seeing the facts and how it works Im afraid its nothing but a scam.

heres what it says at the bottom of the web page on the first post:

"Importmodifications.com and its affiliates are not responsible for any work that you perform on your car, we are not qualified technicians or mechanics, and this is just how we would personally approach doing this on our car. Please understand that attempting this is at your own risk if something goes wrong"

Your answer of whether this is a good idea or not is on the website. the guys pretty much tell you they dont know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by GTPRider; 08-12-2008 at 02:49 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Good eye there GTP ... ROFL )

Im in the aircooled engine business....and a 3hp gas engine turning at 10k rpm on a back pack blower produces 760CFM.....and i think there is video on some guys using a small gas blower to gain real horse power.Dolmar came out with a fourstroke blower this year that puts out 700cfm...or 200mph air at 8500 rpm.For 459.95....i could mount one under the hood of my truck and gain about 40hp! Not bad compared to most mods that show only small gains for 500 to 900.00 The LS1Truck guys are having a dyno day in a few months....i think i may try it and Ill post some numbers...LOL
    2004 GMC Seirra 5.3 cammed,LTs,true duals,no kitties,ArtCarr3200 stall,3.73 TrueTrac,Port and polished TB,custom CAI,and of course HPTuners....dont leave home without it!!!!

haha any mod that lists "hack saw" as a required tool should be a big warning sign
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by COWLGMC
    Im in the aircooled engine business....and a 3hp gas engine turning at 10k rpm on a back pack blower produces 760CFM.....and i think there is video on some guys using a small gas blower to gain real horse power.Dolmar came out with a fourstroke blower this year that puts out 700cfm...or 200mph air at 8500 rpm.For 459.95....i could mount one under the hood of my truck and gain about 40hp! Not bad compared to most mods that show only small gains for 500 to 900.00 The LS1Truck guys are having a dyno day in a few months....i think i may try it and Ill post some numbers...LOL
    This is a terrible idea. 760CFM at .5psi.

Well.....on streetfire...the 4.3 v-6 gained 45hp with 450cfm....so whats so terrible about it....a gain is a gain.
    2004 GMC Seirra 5.3 cammed,LTs,true duals,no kitties,ArtCarr3200 stall,3.73 TrueTrac,Port and polished TB,custom CAI,and of course HPTuners....dont leave home without it!!!!

the trick is to maintain the flow at high RPM, otherwise sure you are getting a gain down low but killing it at the top end when the engine starts driving the fan.

Many of the power curves i have seen compare back to back the "stock" engine with the electric supercharger installed but not turned on (interesting definition huh) vs. the engine with the supercharger running. guess what the top end power losses are hidden by the fact that they are present in both "before" and "after" curves. I'll bet the true stock curve is probably higher than both and definately within experimental error. Creative marketing at it's best.

We all know the drill on doing 15 dyno runs and picking the best and worst for comparison, shops do it everyday...
    I count sheep in hex...

Wow well this has been educational

Okay how about this.....Two air intakes controlled by WOT. One intake stock and one with the fan coming on only at WOT?
    Kind of like a Electronic Cutoffs on the other end of the engine.

pipe the cold AC air to one throttle and also add an industrial vaccum connected to the exhaust and you have a winner
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    pipe the cold AC air to one throttle and also add an industrial vaccum connected to the exhaust and you have a winner

I like that idea........hehehe

Tanx Guys........Have Fun.

See you all tomorrow at Englishtown!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, I figured it out. Look at the pictures. With this fan and a 150 shot of Nitrous, you will see gains in excess of 100 hp.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock