Thread: 06 GTO SD mode/ Safe mode

Potential Tuner

06 GTO SD mode/ Safe mode

Hey guys I am new to tuning and am trying to tune the VE on my Heads/Cam GTO. I followed the how to stickie word for word but am having a wierd issue. After driving for about 5 minutes the car will go into "safe mode" ie no throttle output. What do I have screwed up? Thanks in advance Kyle.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It would be helpful if you posted the file you loaded as well as a scanner log showing the issue you are seeing.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    There was a issue with some of the 04-06 GTO's having a bad electronic pedal assembly that would cause the car to go into safe mode due to a dead pedal.

I am not sure if this is the same as your issue though.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry here is the tune file i do not have a log file as i didnt save them because of the issue. I will get one if necessary

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
    There was a issue with some of the 04-06 GTO's having a bad electronic pedal assembly that would cause the car to go into safe mode due to a dead pedal.

No it only does it in sd mode I can flash my idle only tune back and it goes away. If I leave the sd tune in it will still be there when I restart the car, but if I reflash the tune it will go away for about 5 min then come back.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyws6

Sorry to correct...04's are cable driven 05-06's are ETC

Does the car have long tube headers?
    Any other mods to the car (high flow cats, etc.)?

Quick observations from posted tune
    1. The car will not stay in open loop unless you also max out the values (seconds) for CL delay. Also max out the LTFT values so LTFT doesn't interfere with tuning.
    2. PE delay rpm; change back to stock value
    3. Do you have an MAF, or are you just trying to disable for VE tuning?
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

Potential Tuner
    mods to car: SLP 1 3/4 longtubes 3"collector and high flow cats, Spintech catback, Ported FAST 90mm intake, Trickflow 225 heads with 61cc chambers, COMP 232/236 .579" 112+4, Powerbond UDP

I will try those changes. Yes I still have a MAF and I am trying to disable it to tune the VE. I am a little confused about disabling the LTFT though. I am going by redhardsupra's excel spreadsheet to tune the VE and if I disable the LTFT how will I be able to log those values to put in the spread sheet.

Advanced Tuner
    Sup man, it's Phil.

Why aren't you trying to tune with a wideband? If you're at the shop Saturday I can give you a hand with any questions you have.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner in Training
    Hi there.

Do the following in Engine Diagnostics:

Diagnostic tests P0101, P0106, P0121 - set temps to 400
    P0068 set enable RPM to 8000
    08 SKY Redline
    K&N Drop in
    Catless DP
    GMPP 3Bar MAP sensors
    HPTuned

Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak04
    mods to car: SLP 1 3/4 longtubes 3"collector and high flow cats, Spintech catback, Ported FAST 90mm intake, Trickflow 225 heads with 61cc chambers, COMP 232/236 .579" 112+4, Powerbond UDP

I will try those changes. Yes I still have a MAF and I am trying to disable it to tune the VE. I am a little confused about disabling the LTFT though. I am going by redhardsupra's excel spreadsheet to tune the VE and if I disable the LTFT how will I be able to log those values to put in the spread sheet.
    If you are trying to tune VE using LTFTs then why are you trying to disable CL? The way to do this is with a wideband with CL and fuel trims disabled.

Also, you have P0420 & P0430 set to no error reported. No problem here as it was likely setting these DTCs with the long tubes and high flow cats. However, with no error reported you can leave the SES enabled (and therefore still pass emissions tests). Stated another way, with it set to no error reported non SES light will come on anyway.
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak04

You can tune it with my way, STFT's work fine and it's easier (worked for me and several others).