Thread: Need some thoughts please.

Potential Tuner

Need some thoughts please.

Hello, Newbie here! ???

I have a real bad random lean out condition after I first startup no matter what temp. I bought the HP tuners, great stuff by the way, to help me figure this out. So I started logging and fired up the engine, waited a few seconds, put it into drive and wham! Real bad lean condition. This clears up after a few short minutes so when I got home I ran the log. The injectors show no pulse. Now the truck is running so I would guess there has to be some pulse but not during this lean condition. http://rinren.com/Injectors.htm

Has anyone seen this?

Also I have this ignition issue while cruising my advance dips 20+ degrees for no apparent reason. http://rinren.com/spark.htm Could this be a bad coil or a trigger?

Thanks
    Oops!

Re: Need some thoughts please.

Running lean at startup is normal. The air pump is blowing air into the exhaust stream which confuses the 02 sensors. Should stop after a minute or so.
    02 Camaro Vert SS

Potential Tuner

Thanks for the responce but I do not think it is that. The issue is so bad that even in neutral I cannot get the RPM's over 3000. As I give it gas the engine starts to rev but then just starts bogging and the rpm's drop to about 1000.

But I did read a forum and that person was able to fix this issue by cleaning his MAF sensor. Apparently a K&N filter could contaminated it with the oils from the filter and so far since I have cleaned it I have not had the problem. However I still have an issue with my advance where I will be cruising at a steady pace and the advance just drops 20+ degrees for a split second. I do not see any sensors following the same trend, I do not get a engine light so I am wondering what could tell the computer to drop the advance so much.
    Oops!

Advanced Tuner

Is this drop during a shift or when you drop into the throttle real quick, this could be torque management acting on you.

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by manderson
    Hello, Newbie here! ???

I have a real bad random lean out condition after I first startup no matter what temp. I bought the HP tuners, great stuff by the way, to help me figure this out. So I started logging and fired up the engine, waited a few seconds, put it into drive and wham! Real bad lean condition. This clears up after a few short minutes so when I got home I ran the log. The injectors show no pulse. Now the truck is running so I would guess there has to be some pulse but not during this lean condition. http://rinren.com/Injectors.htm

Has anyone seen this?

Also I have this ignition issue while cruising my advance dips 20+ degrees for no apparent reason. http://rinren.com/spark.htm Could this be a bad coil or a trigger?

Thanks
    first is where you even logging the ipw's in the table display? you dont show a screenshot of the table display which is wher eyou pick what to log.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by manderson
    Thanks for the responce but I do not think it is that. The issue is so bad that even in neutral I cannot get the RPM's over 3000. As I give it gas the engine starts to rev but then just starts bogging and the rpm's drop to about 1000.

But I did read a forum and that person was able to fix this issue by cleaning his MAF sensor. Apparently a K&N filter could contaminated it with the oils from the filter and so far since I have cleaned it I have not had the problem. However I still have an issue with my advance where I will be cruising at a steady pace and the advance just drops 20+ degrees for a split second. I do not see any sensors following the same trend, I do not get a engine light so I am wondering what could tell the computer to drop the advance so much.

if it starts to bogg as you go over that rpm i would suspect a clogged cat.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

The bogging is random and since I cleaned my MAF sensor I still have not had the issue so I think that was the problem.

As for the spark issue it is not during a shift. If you look at my screen shot, of the log, http://rinren.com/spark.htm, notice the RPM's don't change.
    Oops!

Tuner in Training

Log TQ Reduction, I had that and found I did not have all TQ red. removed

Potential Tuner

Guess what it was?

It was the MAF sensor had been contaminated, I suspect the oil from the K&N help this, but once I cleaned it out no more bog.
    Oops!