Thread: Stacking with HPT

Potential Tuner

Stacking with HPT

Ok this may be here on this forum all ready but I suck at searchs and I promise I looked. So here it goes I have been tring to stack on top of my friends bully dog programer see he wants more smoke I said ok. I scaned his pcm with the programer installed and took a look at it compared it to a stock 05 tune and there are IDENTICAL now my question is if I take what I downloaded and modifiy it for a smoke tune and then flash it on to his computer will that mess up the bully dog.

Tuner in Training
    If the bully dog is a programmer (flashes the ecm) then it shouldnt match stock.

It may be that the BD is a go between box, interrupts the harness, then the tune you read would be stock.

Tuner
    shoulnt hurt if you flash to stock first and use HPT to flash what you have modified. That is not actualy a stack. I started tunning a friends lly. We seemed to get the truck running really strong. He wanted more ,and bought an Edge box. He said the truck ran even stronger. His need to push the limit put him on the side of the road with injector damage. I also did some tunning on another lly with an Edge. We made more power with the HPT alone. Just remember to take baby steps, and check the repository for tunes. It is possable to compair an lly to lbz ,or lb7 to lly. The main diffrence is injector timeing.

Potential Tuner
    So what you are saying is use the hpt first then flash the bully dog program in that at least thats what I am getting and that works for me. I havent messed with flashing a truck that has a programer on it already and was unsure of what it might do if I start messing with it. Thats why I was comparing I just wanted to see what was done so I didnt undo it or over do it. I am going to try it as soon as I can get the chance maybe this weekend and I will let you know.

Tuner in Training
    Let us know how it turned out. It is possible with the shift on the fly that the BD is doing something other than a flash.

Won't work, guys--don't waste your time.

Why not make your own tune ??

Tuner
    I was working on this same problem with my truck months ago. I wanted to read the bd tune with my hpt to use as a starting point and keep my swichable tune abilty, when you read it with hpt it is still looks stock even though the bd is in there.
    From what i have found the new vcm's are alot more than what we see with hpt. hpt only works with a small part of the vcm & bd must be using another part of the vcm we can't access with hpt.

What I did was flash my truck with the bd then read it with hpt, even though it looked the same as my stock tune I saved it as my reference point to go back to before I take the bd out if I ever do. My goal was not to mess with the bd tune because the crazy larry tune is more than enough power for my stock trany. what I needed was tire size adjust,turn off egr & I was getting an overboost code when i added the cold air kit, i fixed this problem by raising the map limits in engine diag.these changes worked out great for me.

The bd is a flash tuner it is not an in line module, why we can't see the tune when we try to read it with hpt, I don't know why. I made changes over it and it worked.I would like to know if you can gain anything by changing the engine paramitors with hpt on top of the bd, mayby it is posable to stack tunes, it just has not been tried this way. some say you can't do it, but they can't tell my we can't see the bd tune so how can they know. soon i will have access to a dyno at a friends shop i am waiting till then to try it.

BD (B-Dog) changes the pointers in the operating system section, and put additional fuel tables in a zone that you can't see with HPT...so in otherwords, you can't see what they did, and you can't "improve" it ...
    It'll appear to look 'stock' with what you're able to view.

You can never 'stack' software--it doesn't work.
    Stacking is a term used for a bunch of plug-in devices which 'fool' different sensors and dangerously raise rail pressure, fool torque sensing (which limps your transmission for good), and allows higher than normally safe boost, or excessive injection timing. This is the 'crap' that's eventually going to shut down any legitimate tuning because of the idiots out there who try to get warranty after they've done some of this stuff, and melted down their engine.
    Frankly--the OEM's are on you guys like grease on a doorknob because they have to absorb a $15000 engine or $5000 transmission over a couple $200 devices that bumped HP over the safe limit of the engine.
    They've already devised a scheme to look at the # of reflashes in the ECM, and to check matching CVN numbers in the calibration -- and this is just the beginning of the end for those worried about warranty denial.

Tuner
    Who cares about warranty.Lets roast some tires.

Tuner in Training
    You can stack handheld tuners, but it's much like stacking harness boxes:

Enter the Twilight Zone.

Flash the Bully Dog into a truck, then read the ECM, modify what you so desire, then flash it again. It normally will not hurt the handheld; it can be returned to stock.

Be aware that the Bully Dog is the least stable of the handhelds. Nearly left me stranded at a track 200mi from home when I was doing comparison testing on tuners.

So if it blows up, it is just as likely to be the BD fault as your own.
    "Casper" World's Fastest Production Diesel Pickup - 174.586mph Bonneville
    "Casper" - 2005 GMC 4x4, PPE GT42 and 2CP3, Mike L Trans, McRat tuning, 750+ rwhp - 10.65 @ 130 w/1.71 60'
    "Big Blue" - 2004.5 GMC 3500SRW, Mike L trans, PPE Tuning, 502 rwhp, 13.10 @ 103
    "Wendy" - 2006 GMC 4x4, McRat tuning, Mike L trans, 530rwhp, 12.50 @ 107
    "Blue Meanie" - 2002 Z06 Corvette, 440rwhp, 11.40 @ 121.
    Pat and Kat McSwain

You have now heard from one of the best out there. Thanks Mcrat. I always enjoy reading your posts.
    2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 LT1 (with extras), Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto drain valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, Victory Red.
    33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel,Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

Banks Sixgun with HPTUNERS.

Tuner
    I 2nd that. Enjoy your posts.

Well...good luck with that...
    Go get a Superchips, and stack it with a BD and top it off with a Diablosport and a side order of Hypertech...it won't work.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Programmer
    Well...good luck with that...
    Go get a Superchips, and stack it with a BD and top it off with a Diablosport and a side order of Hypertech...it won't work.

One on top of another will work..I flashed my old 02 GMC with a Superchips, then with the HPP3 because the HPP3 was better WOT than the Superchips, but the Superchips had better street manners....but it only works if they don't modify each other.....the Superchips also had better tranny tuning also....after flashing this way, I read the ecm and it didn't match either one completely.

And with them now being customer tunable, you could just flash tuner X into the ecm, then hook up tuner Y, and tuner Y will add on to tuner X b/c tuner Y thinks the ecm is stock with tuner X actually programmed in there, so it is possible.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Duramax pcm's are vastly different from a standard LS1 pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    I was wondering the same, my truck has a EDGE JUICE chip, and I already have HP tuners for my Camaro. can I tune with hp tuners on top of the edge? will i get good gains?
    More power?

99 camaro B4C, LS1 SLP intake, MAS,and Exhaust. B&M shift kit, tuned with HP tuners.

If I were in your shoes, I would only use the EDGE for the gauges. HP Tuners is an excellent interface that allows tuning specific for your vehicle and not a "one-size-fits-all" tuning. You have the ability to stack, but you will yield better results with HP alone.
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun