Thread: Dead Pedal And Wrench Light With This Tune

Advanced Tuner

Dead Pedal And Wrench Light With This Tune

Look it over and let me know if you see anything wrong because I don't, Maybe I am blind in my old age.

Tuner in Training
    Hello,
    I have had the same exact problem while tuning the mustangs. Although youcan chance the parameters and maps of Electronic throttle section with no problems with some other tools, changes you made with HPTUNERS on ELECTRONIC throttle page always gives problems. I have raised this matter with HPTUNERS during the BETA testing days, but no satisfactory answer or solution.

Anyway, if you are using HPTUNERS, only change the MAX THROTLE ANGLE vs RPM parameters on ELECTRONIC THROTTLE section. All other parameters you are playing gives you the PEDAL Problem and WRENCH light on the dashboard. I tried one-by-one all these settings waste many hours.

If you find a way with HPTUNERS how to modify these parameters without having any problems,please let me know.

Regards

Murat

Tuner
    I think I may have figured this out... to some extent. I think that the problem is that you have to modify both the ETC effective area vs throttle angle vs Vacuum AND the ETC Predicted Throttle Angle vs Baro vs Vac tables. The Predicted Throttle Angle table is used in error checking (according to the help file) and seems to me that it's used by the ETC to verfy that the drive by wire setup is in fact working as intended and is not failing.

Now, as to how to change it, I am still working on exactly how... but in a rough glance, the Vacuum side (vertical axis) of the tables are spot on to one another and is the common axis they share. The horizontal axis of one chart and the data field of the other seem to match up pretty well. So I would imagine that as you change the field of one chart, you would need to adjust the scaling of the other.

I know there's more to it, and maybe one of the HP guys or one of the more experienced tuners can chime in on this. I know there's more to it than this, and I have a sneaking suspicion (and it's only a suspicion) that these tables are strictly error checking and need to be modified in relation to any other throttle changes made.

Again, I may be wrong as I haven't played with this yet, but I definately think this is at least in the right ballpark.
    2007 Mustang GT
    266rwhp 276rwftlb's. 13.6@104 stock.
    Adding a bunch of goodies and shooting for mid 12's.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Any changes to the electronic throttle tables requires you to disable both the IPC rom switch & IPC rom enable.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    This may cause the tuned vehicles to not pass Connecticut Emissions Tests.

One of the things they test is the readiness monitors and if they are turned of You FAIL!

Tuner
    Follower mode still trips a wrench light with these disabled...
    2007 Mustang GT

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Please post the current tune thats popping the wrench light as well as your stock file for comparison please.

Tuner in Training
    Bill,

As i have mentioned before, I red a "SCT tuned MUSTANG" with HPTUNERS. Without disabling your suggested settings, the few important paramenters of ELECTRONIC THROTTLE section can be modified by SCT with no problem. The MBT SPARK table changed by HPTUNERS also gives the same MIL problem.

There is for sure some IMPORTANT glitches on HPTUNERS SUITE for programming MUSTANGS. Now, this situation is a serious problem to me with one Mustang Customer because his best pal's car has been tuned by SCT, and I can not even do the same SCT calibration (I read it already) due to HPTUNERS glitches with FORD.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcentric
    Bill,

As i have mentioned before, I red a "SCT tuned MUSTANG" with HPTUNERS. Without disabling your suggested settings, the few important paramenters of ELECTRONIC THROTTLE section can be modified by SCT with no problem. The MBT SPARK table changed by HPTUNERS also gives the same MIL problem.

There is for sure some IMPORTANT glitches on HPTUNERS SUITE for programming MUSTANGS. Now, this situation is a serious problem to me with one Mustang Customer because his best pal's car has been tuned by SCT, and I can not even do the same SCT calibration (I read it already) due to HPTUNERS glitches with FORD.
    Do you get an actual code # when changing the MBT spark table or just a wrench light?

Tuner
    I just checked, and I have the same issue with the MBT table. No codes, just instant wrench light, even before you start the car. Car will start, but goes instantly to limp mode soon as you touch the gas pedal.

I attached three files. 07 GT Manual is the stock file. 07 testing has both the MBT changes and the follower changes I made. I did not try these changes together, but to make for less files for you to dig through, I put the changes in one file. The last file I threw in (called Checksum) is a download of my PCM after it was flashed by an SCT X3 and then put back to it's version of stock (which if you compare the files, you'll see that it isn't very stock..). Don't know if it will help you figure this out or not, but I figured maybe if you could see what it does or doesn't do, it may help out. I am working from the file that still has the checksums.

I may try out the non-checksum file, just to see if that makes any difference.
    2007 Mustang GT

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    When changing any ETC tables you must disable both the IPC rom switch & IPC rom enable parameters.

Tuner
    Ok.. just tried to make changes to the "Checksum" file and it was the same result. Also, I tried to make a couple of the changes that the checksum file had done to it to the stock file and it also ended up with a wrench lite and limp mode. Pretty much, the file below has every change I have been able to make without having an issue, which isn't much.

Edit: Bill, in the file with the Throttle changes, I do have those parameters disabled.
    Last edited by zq8bob; 11-14-2007 at 11:30 PM.
    2007 Mustang GT

Tuner in Training
    Dear Bill,

I have also sent you fıles which was tuned successfully with SCT and another file with exact settings gives the Wrench light problem with HPTUNERS suite.

I am hoping that you guys can compare these files and find out the problem as soon as you can.

As I mentioned before zq8bob also metiones ELECTRONIC THROTTLE parameters as well as MBT table gives problems.

Regards,

Murat

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcentric
    Dear Bill,

I have also sent you fıles which was tuned successfully with SCT and another file with exact settings gives the Wrench light problem with HPTUNERS suite.

I am hoping that you guys can compare these files and find out the problem as soon as you can.

As I mentioned before zq8bob also metiones ELECTRONIC THROTTLE parameters as well as MBT table gives problems.

Regards,

Murat
    Thanks Murat, Bob was nice enough to come over and let me run some tests on his mustang on friday that will hopefully lead to some answers.

Tuner in Training
    hey Bill,
    I am having the same issue as listed above with the timing table and the wrench light. Can you please shed some light on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Performance By Joe
    314-781-3135

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If I recall correctly it was an IPC checksum issue that can be fixed through the calibration.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    If I recall correctly it was an IPC checksum issue that can be fixed through the calibration.

-Bill
    Bill,
    Can you please explain this a little bit more? I was actually at Joe's shop for a better part of the day and honestly this is the first Ford I have seen with HPT. I was amazed at the amount of tables there were even compared to an LSx vehicle. With this car any minute change made to the timing (1 degree even) set this wrench on right away... I will say this though, when that light comes on atleast you know you don't have to waste time doing a pull on dyno!

P&P Tuning

I've never seen a timing change cause a wrench light. Something in the software is causing this problem. I tune Fords with SCT

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...121#post109121

The stickies are a good place to start, the checksum issue has since been fixed and will be part of the next public release.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I will try the disable in the am...hope that fixes the issue.
    Thanks again,
    Joe
    Performance By Joe
    314-781-3135