Thread: 4L80e with F-body computer

4L80e with F-body computer

Does our computers(99 to 02) work with older 4L80e's? I read a post somewhere that the only way to get it to work is with a 97+ 4l80e? I have an older model without the 12 o'clock bolt hole(93 to 96) and was wondering if I will need to get something to control it besides the factory computer.
    Last edited by beamar; 10-30-2007 at 11:20 AM.
    99 T/A. g5x4 cam. Now trying to figure out how to tune it...

no one knows?
    99 T/A. g5x4 cam. Now trying to figure out how to tune it...

To the best of my knowledge all of the 80's except for the very first ones (91 ish?) function the same electronically. The early ones are supposed to have a different style pluggin on them, so if you've got a mid 90's 4L80 it should have the same plugin as a new one and work fine with a segment swaped tune on your 99 car. 80's are pretty simple creatures since they never implimented a PWM Lock-up like the 95+ 60's did. They've pretty much stayed the same.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecat
    To the best of my knowledge all of the 80's except for the very first ones (91 ish?) function the same electronically. The early ones are supposed to have a different style pluggin on them, so if you've got a mid 90's 4L80 it should have the same plugin as a new one and work fine with a segment swaped tune on your 99 car. 80's are pretty simple creatures since they never implimented a PWM Lock-up like the 95+ 60's did. They've pretty much stayed the same.
    I have heard the exact same thing.
    1999 C5 LS1 M6. H/C

All 4L80E trans have a PWM TCC.

Russ Kemp

they never implimented a PWM Lock-up like the 95+ 60's did. They've pretty much stayed the same.
    Yeah, I worded that poorly. I was refering to the difference in how its implimented (2 wires vs 1) and to the fact that its never changed like the 60 did. I didn't mean to imply they wern't PWM, just that they weren't "like" a 60. I should proff read my posts better.

Tuner
    so, just to clarify, my 2000 f-body PCM will control the 4L80E? i've been looking into this swap for my car.