Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-VVT vs VVT Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by 69redmach1
    I've already had mine on the dyno. The motor makes the best power at about 22 degrees total timing. You'll see there is an adder for timing for the variable cam. You want the base timing plus the variable cam timing adder to equal about 22 degrees total. As I've said before if you have a stock intake I put my PE multiplier to 1.13 across the board and zeroed the PE/COT timing tables. The a/f is spot on with the PE multiplier meaning the maf calibration is very close. If you command 1.13 you'll see the desired 13:1 a/f and that's where mine made the max power. The Det sensors are a little too agressive and the IAT timing retard is very aggressive. So far I've run a 14.54 @96 on an 85 degree day with this setup. I will go back to the track when it gets cooler and see what it runs.
    Pete
    Hey Pete, Did you tweak any of the the Variable CAM Spark or just the high octane portion? Care to share?

This is all starting to click....the VVT table makes up for the upper rpm flat spot on the high octane spark table when comaring it to a regular 6.0L Vortec. An additional 8.5* spark advance "under load" from the VVT Table "VCP SPark"...

Last edited by markislive; 08-17-2007 at 10:42 AM.
    2010 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SLT 2wd 6.2L/6L80 w/3.42's
    HPT Pro w/LM-1 Wideband, AR Longtubes, AFE Intake, Gibson 3.5'' Exhaust, SLP UD Pulley, 160* Stat... New times coming soon..

Tuner
    Looking at that table, it makes sense why we are seeing KR at 1200-1600 and 5200-5600! How did some of those changes we talked about last night do for you?
    2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4

Mark I think I've been talking to you on that Truck forum as well. Even with all the tm off my best 60' time at the track was a 2.19s which sucks. The truck definitely is a slug off the line. I would have expected at least a 2.0s short time. I wonder if there is other tq management stuff that we don't have access to yet or the motor makes no power down low?
    Pete

What PID do I need to add to my scan to see my total timing?
    Ignition Timing Advance (SAE)... under engine/advance.... it is part of the default cfg already. Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by 69redmach1
    Mark I think I've been talking to you on that Truck forum as well. Even with all the tm off my best 60' time at the track was a 2.19s which sucks. The truck definitely is a slug off the line. I would have expected at least a 2.0s short time. I wonder if there is other tq management stuff that we don't have access to yet or the motor makes no power down low?
    Pete
    That's me...hopefully there is more Tq management stuff, this truck has to have more power down low...
    Last edited by markislive; 08-18-2007 at 07:25 AM.
    HPT Pro w/LM-1 Wideband, AR Longtubes, AFE Intake, Gibson 3.5'' Exhaust, SLP UD Pulley, 160* Stat... New times coming soon..

Advanced Tuner
    im willing to bet that the 88lb/corner wheels arnt helping your ability to get out of the hole!!!

They sure do look good, though!! I'd take the rear wheel hp loss to run them!

You guys are probably right....I'm gonna have to put the 18's back on and do a comparison...The 18's weigh 70lbs each or 18lbs less per wheel and tire...

Kenny and Pete,

Any of you guys tried increasing tranny line pressure?

If I disable the master upshift tq management it's just to firm...burns the tires pretty good in the 1-2 shift....wish it was adjustable

Yall think raising line pressure could help some? Atleast you can increment that setting...
    Last edited by markislive; 08-19-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by markislive
    You guys are probably right....I'm gonna have to put the 18's back on and do a comparison...The 18's weigh 70lbs each or 18lbs less per wheel and tire...

Kenny and Pete,

Any of you guys tried increasing tranny line pressure?

If I disable the master upshift tq management it's just to firm...burns the tires pretty good in the 1-2 shift....wish it was adjustable

Yall think raising line pressure could help some? Atleast you can increment that setting...
    The table you're showing is the maximum ammount of line pressure at any given time. Hopefully with the next release, we will have a few more options.

There's definitely no tires spin with the AWD on any setting. I don't dare make too many changes as I heard this tranny is very finicky and can break easily with the wrong setting.

Tuner in Training
    Hijacking here a bit but still on topic I think...

to confirm, you guys are/were seeing some stock tune KR around 1400 rpm also? So am I. Only change to the truck so far is 33" tires. Running 93 octane, 190 ECT, and 73 degree IAT's the thing is still knocking. Hate to see what it does when it's hot outside.

Any info on why the stock tune would be such that it's knocking?

"08 Sierra Denali AWD

Thanks!
    Scott Braemer
    2000 NHRA Trans Am - LS1
    2006 Trailblazer SS - LS2
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali - L92

Tuner in Training
    Mine is also an '08 AWD Sierra Denali and I added a TVS1900 @ 6PSI
    I never scanned mine before the SC was installed but I have done a little tweaking since then. Even when not in boost I was seeing some KR around around that RPM while I was testing out the SD calculations. Right now I am running almost pure MAF instead of relying on the SD and it got rid of that KR.
    Engine> Airflow> Dynamic Airflow> ... Stock High RPM Disable and Re-enable are 4000, 3900 respectively. Mine are currently @ 800, 400. Your stock MAF table should be close in the lower region ... give it a shot if ya want.
    Darin

See how the VCP Spark is added mainly at WOT??? why don't we just 0 out those tables and run straight of the Main spark tables? We'd be more in control of what we are aiming for instead of adding the VCP spark to the main spark and PE, etc, etc....

I only go PE at WOT, I only get up to those RPMs at WOT, I've seen the spark Tables at WOT start at 0.76 @ 4000rpm... just an idea im throwing out here...

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazin' View Post
    See how the VCP Spark is added mainly at WOT??? why don't we just 0 out those tables and run straight of the Main spark tables? We'd be more in control of what we are aiming for instead of adding the VCP spark to the main spark and PE, etc, etc....

I only go PE at WOT, I only get up to those RPMs at WOT, I've seen the spark Tables at WOT start at 0.76 @ 4000rpm... just an idea im throwing out here...
    That's a thought...but I wonder what it would do to the cam phaser. Would it act normal or go completely nuts...or am I over think this???

I'm still working on my tranny. My engine tune is pretty good the way it is, but I need to try out bluecat's VE program...just haven't had time to sit down, learn how to use it and then take the time to actually apply it to my truck.

Tried it out last night and it seems to work.. at WOT it was commanding exactly what I wanted and no side effects....

I am too trying to work out my trans... it takes soo long to change gears at WOT and the weird thing is i couldn't change into 4th unless I let off the gas then pushed it again ...

there is alot of potential though..

by the way, what kind of IDCs are u running?? Im already at 79% on just a tune
    Last edited by Mep_q8; 02-20-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

The cam timing is added as the cam is moved around. So spark advance with the cam in one position may not be correct for the cam in another position at the same RPM & Load thus the Cam Spark table.

Generally, as the cam is retarded the "EGR effect" is increased thus a need for increased spark.

Hey, no matter how you get the timing in there, right is right. LOL
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    I have a 2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L VVT and I notice something odd on some of my scanner logs. for some reason when you disable the Stability Control by holding the Traction control button for 10sec. it adds 10deg of ignition advance to the total spark advance across the board I saw 29deg of timing at 5500rpm (to much for me kinda scarry) but it dose seem to launch harder, has anybody else seen this, i'm out of town now so i can't play with the truck to check this out some more.

sorry for a change in subject but just was wondering if anybody has seen this.
    2020 Jeep Trackhawk, Functional Demon Ram Air Hood, AFE CAI, SW Headers, SW Cats, Solo Cat back Exhaust.

thats news to me but i will log tonight and see how it goes..... I understood the stabilitrak was for removing all Traction Control...

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by LBSBLOWN View Post
    I have a 2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L VVT and I notice something odd on some of my scanner logs. for some reason when you disable the Stability Control by holding the Traction control button for 10sec. it adds 10deg of ignition advance to the total spark advance across the board I saw 29deg of timing at 5500rpm (to much for me kinda scarry) but it dose seem to launch harder, has anybody else seen this, i'm out of town now so i can't play with the truck to check this out some more.

sorry for a change in subject but just was wondering if anybody has seen this.
    Tried it out today and it was commanding the same I set my spark table too.... post a log of your run..

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazin' View Post
    by the way, what kind of IDCs are u running?? Im already at 79% on just a tune
    Sorry... I missed this post.

I've seen as high as 88% at the top of 2nd going into 3rd with mods listed in sig! Doesn't seem right, but I guess it is what it is.