Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-VVT vs VVT Tuning

Non-VVT vs VVT Tuning

Hey guys I’m new to VVT. I have a 07' Sierra Denali 2wd 6.2L VVT, has anyone here had success getting additional power out of a VVT motor by adjusting the timing? Here is a copy of a couple timing Map's…. Non-VVT vs. VVT. The maps are pretty different, especially in the midrange. Should the same rules apply when advancing timing for more performance?

Should I just leave it alone?

Any pointers would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

07' GMC Sierra Denali 2wd
    6.2L L92/6L80, HP Tuners, Outlaw Intake w/Dry Filter, Magnaflow Muff, 22'' OEM Escalade Wheels, 2'' Drop Shackles

Last edited by markislive; 08-14-2007 at 10:24 PM.

TTT, I'd like to know if anyone has tried this also

Senior Tuner
    Doesn't matter what cam timing the motor has, advancing timing gives max power up to the point of detonation (at least with 93 octane and 10-11:1 CR)

I'd say advance it until KR, then back off a little, but do it with 91-93 octane gas (it's possible to overadvance with no knock retard if you run super high octane gas)

Quote Originally Posted by BBA
    Doesn't matter what cam timing the motor has, advancing timing gives max power up to the point of detonation (at least with 93 octane and 10-11:1 CR)

I'd say advance it until KR, then back off a little, but do it with 91-93 octane gas (it's possible to overadvance with no knock retard if you run super high octane gas)
    Thanks for the reply BBA....

Anyone else?
    2010 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SLT 2wd 6.2L/6L80 w/3.42's
    HPT Pro w/LM-1 Wideband, AR Longtubes, AFE Intake, Gibson 3.5'' Exhaust, SLP UD Pulley, 160* Stat... New times coming soon..

Advanced Tuner
    Post a shot of the PE/COT Spark Advance table and keep that in mind when adjusting. The 03 may not have as much PE/COT Spark Advance and instead have the advanced spark in the upper g/cyl cells..

Perhaps you should temporarily input the PE/COT values in the upper cells and display a graph that way for reference.
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades
    Post a shot of the PE/COT Spark Advance table and keep that in mind when adjusting. The 03 may not have as much PE/COT Spark Advance and instead have the advanced spark in the upper g/cyl cells..

Perhaps you should temporarily input the PE/COT values in the upper cells and display a graph that way for reference.
    Thanks for the reply Blades....

PE/COT table??? Am I blind...lol? See attached

I have only been playing with the "main high octane spark advance" table....Am I on the right track?
    HPT Pro w/LM-1 Wideband, AR Longtubes, AFE Intake, Gibson 3.5'' Exhaust, SLP UD Pulley, 160* Stat... New times coming soon..

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock This
    TTT, I'd like to know if anyone has tried this also

Interested in this also! I have added a bunch of timing to mine and it seems to really like it.
    2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by kenny c
    Interested in this also! I have added a bunch of timing to mine and it seems to really like it.

Mine likes it too...lol!

Advanced Tuner
    Spark Correction
    AFR Correction

Gas

Sorry bout that..

Advanced Tuner

Oh bother.. When in PE mode you spend most of your time at 1.3 EQ ratio above 3750. Actually, you can take the last row of the adder table and thats what you are adding on in regards to spark. The PE table is set just so. You need to figure out the cyl airmass that you are entering pe and adjust accordingly.

I think there also may be a PID for PE Spark Advance. This way you can log this in conjunction with ign timing advance and see whats up. Good luck.

Hey Blades, What kind of motor is that capture from? Here is my 6.2L VVT...

Advanced Tuner
    2007 GMC Sierra
    Engine: 6.2 V8 - Automatic
    Submitted By: Mark

Download this Tune File Bone Stock 07' 2wd GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L/L92 6spd/6L80 This is a stock tune

Dude. I think its you!

Advanced Tuner
    Same goes for

2007 GMC Sierra
    Submitted By: Kenny C

Download this Tune File None

2007 GMC Sierra Denali

6.2 L92
    6L80E
    3.42 gears

2007 GMC Sierra
    Submitted By: Mark

Download this Tune File Bone Stock 07' 2wd GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L/L92 6spd/6L80 This is a stock tune

Dude. I think its you!

Dude, that is me...lol!

Here is the scoop! Before I got hooked on this stuff I paid someone to tune my truck just 2 be safe since I didn't know a whole bunch..I wanted more perfomnace then...what you displayed was my stock tune I uploaded to the repository, that way I could never loose or overwrite my file by accident ...what I displayed was after my tune.....would it make sense for my tuner to blank this out? "PE/COT table"
    Last edited by markislive; 08-16-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Tuner
    Same goes for

2007 GMC Sierra
    Submitted By: Kenny C

Download this Tune File None

2007 GMC Sierra Denali

6.2 L92
    6L80E
    3.42 gears
    That's my stock file! I have since made a BUNCH of changes. This big ole' bucket pulls a lot harder now, but I am still looking for more.

I too have cleared that table Mark.

So what going on guys....I'm about to put that table back to stock....kenny did you change that table on yours?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by markislive
    So what going on guys....I'm about to put that table back to stock....kenny did you change that table on yours?

Yeah, I cleared it out too. Since then, I have seen less KR. Not sure if that's why, but that's what happened.

I've already had mine on the dyno. The motor makes the best power at about 22 degrees total timing. You'll see there is an adder for timing for the variable cam. You want the base timing plus the variable cam timing adder to equal about 22 degrees total. As I've said before if you have a stock intake I put my PE multiplier to 1.13 across the board and zeroed the PE/COT timing tables. The a/f is spot on with the PE multiplier meaning the maf calibration is very close. If you command 1.13 you'll see the desired 13:1 a/f and that's where mine made the max power. The Det sensors are a little too agressive and the IAT timing retard is very aggressive. So far I've run a 14.54 @96 on an 85 degree day with this setup. I will go back to the track when it gets cooler and see what it runs.
    Pete

Advanced Tuner
    If you put that table to stock you wouldn't really be adding any timing because the PE is leaner. It would look at the values under the 1.15 row.. and interpolate between 1.10 and 1.15 for the lower rpms.

People use the PE/COT adder because it makes sense that you can add timing when the air/fuel ratio is richer. Or rather, run less timing when the air/fuel ratio is leaner (14.7 CL, non-pe). Should you reach a high enough rpm and airmass while in 14.7 CL to run timing that was verified (to not cause knock) at a mixture richer than stoich.... might not be good. Then again, if he kept the upper cells stock and removed the PE/COT adder.. you are probably running nothing for WOT timing.

Post your tune or a pic of the table of the high octane spark table.

Tuner
    Here's some screen shots of my current high octane table and my tune file.

What PID do I need to add to my scan to see my total timing?

I've only been using HPT for about 2 months and I've come a long way, but am I changing things that I shouldn't be, or am I over looking things that I should be changing?