Thread: Can I disable the VATS and get rid of Service Column Lock problems on Vette?

Can I disable the VATS and get rid of Service Column Lock problems on Vette?

F-body guys can ignore this... the Vette owners know what I am talking about.

If you disable the VATS with HPTuners will that turn off the algorithm that gives fits with the Service Column Lock / Pull Key Wait 10 Seconds?

Is there anything else that can be done with HPTuners to help the Service Column Lock / Pull Key Wait 10 Seconds?

I have a buddy who has a car that keeps getting those messages. He's been to the dealership and done the recalls and also has a CLB. There are days he cannot get his car to move... even after multiple key cycles because of these messages.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

No, VATS is unrelated to the dreaded Column Lock issue.
    However the beta version has the column lock settings in it now.
    Email support with a link to this post if you need the fix.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    No, VATS is unrelated to the dreaded Column Lock issue.
    However the beta version has the column lock settings in it now.
    Email support with a link to this post if you need the fix.
    Where is it located in the BETA version?

Tuner in Training
    I found it under System>General>Column Lock. Is the 97-98 Vette going to be supported they do not show this parameter?

Quote Originally Posted by 94SS
    I found it under System>General>Column Lock. Is the 97-98 Vette going to be supported they do not show this parameter?
    i just added it for the 98's should be in the .19 beta in a few days.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    i just added it for the 98's should be in the .19 beta in a few days.

You guys rock. Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    I used the switch on a 98 Vette to Not Fitted and it didn't disable the column lock. We used one of his aftermarket relays and set VSS to cut column lock fuel to 256MPH and it seems to work. Is the switch itself suppose to disable the column lock?

Setting the Column Lock check box to not fitted, on a 2004 ZO6 didn't disable the steering column lock.

Russ Kemp

it just disables the PCM column lock diagnostic routines, ie. if the column lock fails (doesn't release) then it cuts fuel above the MPH value. It doesn't actually stop the column lock from working.
    I count sheep in hex...

here's another route to take care of the column lock for good (and a little more info on how it works):
    http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24
    2009 Sierra CCSB 5.3 A6 4X4
    2003 Silverado ECSB 4.Late/Auto SOLD

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    it just disables the PCM column lock diagnostic routines, ie. if the column lock fails (doesn't release) then it cuts fuel above the MPH value. It doesn't actually stop the column lock from working.
    The 98 Vette after about 100 miles and a key off the message center started saying Pull Key and wait 10 seconds. That is with the Column lock set to not fitted and VSS to 255.

Quote Originally Posted by 94SS
    The 98 Vette after about 100 miles and a key off the message center started saying Pull Key and wait 10 seconds. That is with the Column lock set to not fitted and VSS to 255.
    yes, as i said the PCM part of the column lock operation is only small - it doesn't control the column lock at all, it just cuts fuel if it fails so you don't drive into a wall...

changing the option to not fitted, just tells the PCM not to run the code to check for failure, it doesn't disable the column lock.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    A buddy of mine has a 97 Vette and had the column lock recall done. After a few weeks he started getting the Pull key and wait 10 seconds code again. Can this be used on the 97 to fix the issue?