Thread: LC1 help needed....

LC1 help needed....

I am having some intermittant problems with my LC1 wideband, and was wondering if somebody on the board could help me out - here is an example of what I have been experiencing for the past few weeks-

Yesterday while driving the vehicle, my innovative gauge (and HPTuners scanner) was reading 15.7 at idle and then wildly moving between 9.1 and 15. After about one minute, it was reading 8.9 - it stayed at this value for the rest of my 30 minute trip.

This morning, the LC1 was working perfectly on my way to work, then when I started the car to move it to another parking spot, I got the 8.9 reading again and it never changes.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? I have been swamped at work and have been unable to spend the time to properly diagnose the issue and wanted to see if anybody could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Conrad
    05 C6 TT
    02 TA: 8.58@157 Radials, N20

Quote Originally Posted by FastBlackTA
    I am having some intermittant problems with my LC1 wideband, and was wondering if somebody on the board could help me out - here is an example of what I have been experiencing for the past few weeks-

Yesterday while driving the vehicle, my innovative gauge (and HPTuners scanner) was reading 15.7 at idle and then wildly moving between 9.1 and 15. After about one minute, it was reading 8.9 - it stayed at this value for the rest of my 30 minute trip.

This morning, the LC1 was working perfectly on my way to work, then when I started the car to move it to another parking spot, I got the 8.9 reading again and it never changes.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? I have been swamped at work and have been unable to spend the time to properly diagnose the issue and wanted to see if anybody could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Conrad
    do you have the LC1's supplied LED hooked up?
    if no..then you need to hook it up to watch for error codes..
    if yes...are you getting any error codes when this is happening

3 common problems...
    1) sensor is faulty....many reasons can cause this
    2) sensor is overheating...if you have cats still and its pre cats(it should be) or if you are doing forced induction it will get too hot very easily
    in which case you ned to buy the innovate motorsports HBX1 heat bung extender thingy.
    3) Faulty wiring....check to make sure everything is connected properly and making good connections

thats all I can tell you without seeing more info from you or without being there to trouble shoot it myself
    -Scott -

Scott is right, first connect the LED and see if you get any error codes.

Assuming you are not getting any error codes your next step is to perform a full calibration.
    1. Remove sensor from exhaust. The sensor must be exposed to free air.
    2. With the LC-1 off, disconnect the sensor from the unit.
    3. Turn the unit on. You should get an Error 02 (Heater Circuit Open)
    4. After 30 seconds turn the unit off. Connect the sensor to the LC-1. Turn the unit back on.
    5. The LC-1 will run through the warm up and from there it will go into a 9-0 count down (heater calibration.)
    6. After this is done do a free air calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by innovate-felipe
    Scott is right, first connect the LED and see if you get any error codes.

Assuming you are not getting any error codes your next step is to perform a full calibration.
    1. Remove sensor from exhaust. The sensor must be exposed to free air.
    2. With the LC-1 off, disconnect the sensor from the unit.
    3. Turn the unit on. You should get an Error 02 (Heater Circuit Open)
    4. After 30 seconds turn the unit off. Connect the sensor to the LC-1. Turn the unit back on.
    5. The LC-1 will run through the warm up and from there it will go into a 9-0 count down (heater calibration.)
    6. After this is done do a free air calibration.
    I thought # 6 is part of #5..you dont need to do a seperate calibration after the LC1 has calibrated itself
    -Scott -

It does, but it isn't going to hurt to do it again.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBlackTA

Thanks,

Conrad
    I had nothing but problems with my LC-1. I have countless hours spent trying to make it work consistantly. I ended up going to AEM and it has made tuning so much easier. Probably not what you want to hear, but the frustration was no longer worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreFWD
    I had nothing but problems with my LC-1. I have countless hours spent trying to make it work consistantly. I ended up going to AEM and it has made tuning so much easier. Probably not what you want to hear, but the frustration was no longer worth it.
    sorry to hear you had some issues...
    I have had nothing but success and I know many others that are extremely happy with theirs as well...
    perhaps you had a defective unit and just couldnt get it sorted out quick enough..or even possibly just a simple user error that snagged you and you couldnt seem to shake it...
    even something as simple as a defective sensor can cause hours and hours of problems that can only be fixed if you discover that its a bad sensor...
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Thanks SE. I know my post may sound a little harsh. I guess I need to vent some. I have tried changing the grounds, etc. countless times. I could get it working and it would quit in the middle of logging or not work the next time I start the car. One thing I could never do is set a constant output voltage to check for offset with HPT. I'm hoping I can still get it working to use as a portable unit for some other cars. $200 isn't the end of the world i guess.

All that being said I am very happy with my new AEM. I have a gauge mounted high I can see at a glance. It doesn't have to be removed from the pipe for calibration and it seems to have a more stable reading. When I was using the LC1 and adjusting the Main VE table I was doing 12.5% corrections and having problems. With the AEM I am using 100 or 50% corrections and it's coming in nicely.

My neighbor has the new dual band Fast in his drag car. I am not impressed at all with it. I was trying to help him do some carb tuning and the display jumps around so much during playback that the data is useless. If you put it in average mode, where it combines the left and right bank it's a little better, but not much. We had to go to plug reading and performance to tune it so far. On a drag car it might be the best way to go anyhow.

Well that's my unsolicited wideband hijack/mini review.