Thread: Help guys...I think I just blew up my engine

Advanced Tuner

Help guys...I think I just blew up my engine

Hey guys I think I just seriously broke something. Is there any way to check the each individual cylinders spark? I tried a cylinder balance but I think that is just for fuel. I need to check spark. I'm hoping I just blew out the plugs. It feels like I'm running on 6 cylinders. My spark is comletely eratic and I can not hold an idle, and everything is running supper rich. All this started after a 60-120mph run. It started as soon as I let off the gas. The car is sputtering and trying to die. So how can I monitor spark per cylinder. It is either plugs are coil paks. I'm just hoping that I didn't bend a valve or something. I didn't hit the rev limiter so I think I'm ok there. I added some spark last night and I really think that I just blew out a couple of plugs. Is there anyway that I could use the scanner to narrow it down to which cylinder, so that I don't have to pull all of them. BTW I'm not measuring any misfires, which is making this realy weird. I thought I would be getting misfires with messed up plugs. I ran a log and the spark is flucuating wildly and so is the map. I am getting a p0106 map perfermance error, but I think the error is just because of the fluctuating wich is directly related to the spark problem. Ok so Jimmy or somebody how in the heck can I measure spark per cylinder? Help please guys!!!

Matt

Re: Help guys...I think I just blew up my engine

I would first pull the plugs to see if their is any visible damage and ensure that your wires are snapped back on good.
    I would then check the misfire counters to see if you can locate the bad cylinder but it usually is very vague. I have had it show a misfire on one cylinder and it be a completely different one but it will give you an idea none the less.

Advanced Tuner

I checked for misfire but could not find any on any cylinders. I went ahead and purchased 8 new plugs tonight. I'm going to take out the old ones in the morning and give them a lood see. I sure hope that I find one with the tip blown off.

I am just checking to see if you have adjusted any of your misfire tables. If so you might want to set them back to stock if you haven't already.

Advanced Tuner

OK just did the plugs this morning, and everything looked good however; when I removed the plug wire on number 8 the plug just fell out into my hand. So I went ahead and replaced everything, and fired her up. Major knock around number 8. So I'll be pulling the heads tonight and examing those. I guess this is the price you pay when you want to go fast. Happy Thanksgiving to me. > :'(

BTW I hear MTI has financing now. I wonder how much they will let a 408 shortblock go for? ;D I was making 450 rwhp with the stock cubes, anyone think I can break into the 500 rwhp mark with a 408. Ok let's not jump the gun, maybe I can get away with just rebuilding the heads. I'm starting to think that it is just a bent valve, but we'll see tonight.

Sorry guys it looks like the rest of the writeup might have to wait a couple of weeks. I will still try and help you guys out with the questions that you have posted the last couple of days. But right now I'm going to the folks' to eat some turkey.

Matt

Pull the valve covers and have a look first. How big of a cam you got in there? Running double springs? Maybe you broke a spring and its running on the inner spring right now Any abnormal noises? How much timing? Shit, im running 33 degrees with no knock and never had one probelem, but i've got stock internals.

good luck! happy turkey day!
    02 Formula M6

Dude, that sucks, let us know what you find. Looks like you are gonna work off all the turkey and be ready for the rest of the holidays real quick.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by QUASAR
    Pull the valve covers and have a look first. How big of a cam you got in there? Running double springs? Maybe you broke a spring and its running on the inner spring right now Any abnormal noises? How much timing? Shit, im running 33 degrees with no knock and never had one probelem, but i've got stock internals.

good luck! happy turkey day!

Hey man good call. The outer spring is broken on the #2 exhaust side. I'll be calling my vendor today to see if they can help out.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater

Hey man good call. The outer spring is broken on the #2 exhaust side. I'll be calling my vendor today to see if they can help out.

Matt
    Good to hear! Saved by the inner spring! I bet that weak inner spring was floating the valve so bad the car wouldnt run right!

Just wondering what cam and what brand of springs are in there? Stock OD size behive style springs or bigger ones on aftermarket heads?
    02 Formula M6

Advanced Tuner

G5X-3 cam and Patriot Stage II Ls6 heads. Just to let everyone know Patriot has stepped up and they are taking care of everything. The car will be down for about 2 - 3 weeks. These are the older LS6 heads, before they started coming with the "gold" springs. They have even offered to up the heads to the new Stage III's at no extra cost. They will be taking car of everything. I can't say enough about the great way they handled the situation. Props to Patriot Performance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Tuner in Training

What kind of times are you running with that setup? I have the pp stage 3 heads and am looking at the x3 or juggernaut cam to get me mid tens on motor. Do you think it is possible?

Advanced Tuner

Mid tens would take a lot of weight reduction. My best was a 10.98 @ 121, with a bad 1.67 60'. Weight was 3435lbs. I have since then added a lot of suspension components. I'm hoping for consistent 10.8's with the new setup. BTW my setup is designed for N2o use. It is not a maxeffort N/A motor. I want to hit low 10's on N2o. This new setup is going to kickass.

Matt

So they are going to send you St III heads with gold dual springs? Thats awesome!

I dont want to get off topic, but after using HPT with your setup, how do you rate the drivability of the G5x3? How is the idle and low rpm driving (under 2k)? Is it tolerable? I'm sure it runs like a raped ape up top, but I'm more curious to see how tolerable it is down low. Is it on a 113 lsa? If you dont mind me asking, what gear do you have in it?
    02 Formula M6

Advanced Tuner

I have the cam on a 112 in an A4 with a big ass converter. It is begging for more gear I currently have a 3.73 in it. I think it would be great with a 4.10 or 3.90, but I run nitrous also so that is a no go for me. I have got the drivability pretty much nailed down now. In fact I just got it to stop bucking and surging the day before all the shit let go. Oh well. I'm sure with the new heads, I will have to rework the VE table again, and I am going to go ahead and install bigger injectors now too. I'm also planning on switching over to Nitro Daves hidden DP nitrous system. I'm waiting on him to get settled into his new location, he is supposed to give me a call today.