Thread: Stock 07 GMC 5.3 Knock Retard, What Gives?!!

Stock 07 GMC 5.3 Knock Retard, What Gives?!!

A Friend recently picked up a 07 GMC Sierra 2wd with a 5.3 and I thought that it would be fun to scan it and perhaps make some changes. We took it for a long drive and logged some data. What I found was very strange, now I am kinda new at this and these may be normal, but if someone could give me some explanations it would be very much appreciated. First off at WOT the TPS reading only reaches 83%, maybe I am wrong but shouldn't it read 100%? Secondly at around frame 10,400 it has some huge knock retard at low load which actually pulls timing negative. It also shows some knock retard at multiple different times including one of the wot runs. Is this normal?
    One last question, this is the first automatic that I have tuned and I am wondering what can be done to improve shift firmness and quickness at WOT. and anything that could help improve overall performance. I am hesitant to make any changes as the truck is new {under 100 miles} until I truly feel more comfortable with what I am doing. If anyone has any input it would be very appreciated. As I stated before I am new at this and am looking for any and all information. Thanks in Advance!!

Attachment 7977

Attachment 7978
    Last edited by 01 MidMet WS6; 08-18-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Before you rely on any data from this vehicle, ensure that it has a full tank of the best high octane fuel available in your area. If the truck has been sitting around for any length of time, who knows what the octane really is.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

I thought about the grade and age of fuel in the vehicle during our first drive and stated that the fuel in the vehicle is as delivered from the dealership. He is still on the original fuel {truck only had 13 miles on it when logged} in the tank and I will instruct him to put in the good stuff so we can get another log. Any input on improving performance and shift quality?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    This belongs in the Gen4 section since your using one of the newer E38 pcm's not an LS1 pcm.

Also your question about the throttle position is answered in the sticky at the top of this section.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 MidMet WS6
    A Friend recently picked up a 07 GMC Sierra 2wd with a 5.3 and I thought that it would be fun to scan it and perhaps make some changes. We took it for a long drive and logged some data. What I found was very strange, now I am kinda new at this and these may be normal, but if someone could give me some explanations it would be very much appreciated. First off at WOT the TPS reading only reaches 83%, maybe I am wrong but shouldn't it read 100%? Secondly at around frame 10,400 it has some huge knock retard at low load which actually pulls timing negative. It also shows some knock retard at multiple different times including one of the wot runs. Is this normal?
    One last question, this is the first automatic that I have tuned and I am wondering what can be done to improve shift firmness and quickness at WOT. and anything that could help improve overall performance. I am hesitant to make any changes as the truck is new {under 100 miles} until I truly feel more comfortable with what I am doing. If anyone has any input it would be very appreciated. As I stated before I am new at this and am looking for any and all information. Thanks in Advance!!

Attachment 7977

Attachment 7978

The throttle opening on GM trucks is less than WOT, 83%TPS actually equals about 94% throttle opening, on the cars GM allows full open, which happens at 88%.

I've been looking for a way to get that last 5-6 % myself, haven't found it yet.