Thread: VATS, Fuel Cut off Assistance Needed. Car wont stay running..

Arrow VATS, Fuel Cut off Assistance Needed. Car wont stay running..

HP Tuners

I need some help. I purchase HP Tuners for the purpose of turning off VATS to get my conversion to run and am having some challenges…

Here are the details:

First try... 2000 PCM from C5 auto trans car. VATS turned off… car fires, but only runs a couple seconds. The car is using the PCM and under hood fuse box from the C5. No BCM.

Purchased HP Tuners Pro to diagnose fix the problem...

PCM now has 2002 C5 program on it with VATS off. A tuner friend updated the PCM with the more current OS and tweaked it for a hybrid install.

I hooked up the newly programmed PCM and fired the car. It ran for about 4 or 5 seconds then died.( a couple seconds longer on the first fire than with the 2000 program) Each time I tried to start the car after that it would run for about 1 second and die.

I probed one of the injector plugs, and get one flash with the test light, then nothing when trying to start.

It appears while VATS is disabled in HP Tuners,(I verified by downloading all and checking it) that the PCM is still activating VATS and cutting fuel to the injectors. I scanned for codes, and nothing appears.

Ive search for hours on this subject, both here and LS1-tech and it appears that this is not an isolated problem. I read numerous posts with people having the exact same problem, or this problem intermittently. This problem has affected a large portion of the GTM builders.

Is it possible for the HP Tuner Guru’s to dig a bit deeper and offer the “disable fuel cutoff” option available for the 2004 GTO, or something to that affect? Anything else you guys can do to help with this? A bunch of folks would be very thankful. I’m trying to make a car show in 2 weeks, and really need to get this car running.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

David

Senior Tuner
    Begin with a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and a
    voltmeter across the pump wiring.

You could always just rig the fuel pump relay to
    get straight IGN voltage to the coil, and leave the
    PCM out of it entirely.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    post your file.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

will do when I get home tonight.

Bill, here you go. With this file, it ran for 4-5 seconds, then died. Start attempts afterwards would result in barely 1 second of running.

David

if you are using the vette PCM it could be the column lock disabling fuel, although i'm not sure it should. Anyway here's your file with column lock disabled (this param is not in the editor yet).

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight. What procedure should I use to write this file?

David

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    a write calibration only should work just fine...the vcm suite will let you know beforehand if its not going to
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Chris,

If thats all you changed, it did the trick! Car fired right up and stayed running for about 30-40 seconds and I shut it off. Tried it three times and all were sucessful.

When will this be a changeable parameter in HP tuners? If others want to try the same thing, how can we hook them up to see if it works for them?

Thanks a ton for the help on this, its greatly appreciated!

David

Excellent, its on my to-do list. Most people use Fbody PCMs for conversion and run the cable throttle so you are first we have seen had this issue.

Hopefully it will make it into the next release, until then people can always email me their file.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

HP Tuners,
    Details:
    C5 manual trans car. VATS turned off… car fires, but only runs a couple seconds.

Purchased HP Tuners Pro to diagnose fix the problem...

File attached
    Any Help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by highoctaine; 07-02-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Chris could you shut off the colum lock also on this 99vette
    bin also. WE are have the same fuel pump issue. Thx Ralph
    Last edited by groundzero; 07-06-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by groundzero
    Chris could you shut off the colum lock also on this 99vette
    bin also. WE are have the same fuel pump issue. Thx Ralph
    email support for the latest beta.
    I count sheep in hex...