Thread: 5.7 VVT Camshaft Tuning issues

5.7 VVT Camshaft Tuning issues

Hello everyone. I have a 2014 dodge charger awd with a mild custom comp camshaft from MMX, JBA shorty headers and a couple modifications made to the intake (ported throttle body, spacer, stock intake) for about 3 months now, my mechanic, tuner and I have been trying to figure out why this car won?t set emission monitors even with emissions equipment in place. The cam kit I purchased from MMX came with a VVT 8 degree limiter in the kit. However, even though the limiter is in there, my tuner is only able to adjust the camshaft 1 degree and believes it is either a VVT lock that was installed instead or there is an issue with the VVT solenoid to prevent him from being able to time the cam correctly. Also, I made the mistake of installing electronic mods in the past (Tazer, pedal commander) unfortunately, the Tazer was still married to the car when the original start up tune from MMX was installed post cam job and my tuner believes it may have screwed a lot of stuff up with the modules within the car.

Is there a reason he cannot make cam adjustments with the 8 degree limiter in HPT? The car currently shows no codes for anything involving the VVT solenoid?

Also, since the modules were flashed with the Tazer device married at the time, could that be causing HP not to work correctly with the car?

Currently, my tuner has us using Witech 2.0 to reflash all the modules in the car back to factory as well as updated. Could software corruption be a reason the car won?t throw any codes or illuminate any check engine lights? Could this all be fixable after reflashing back with Witech?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like either a lock was installed, or its not logging properly. I dont think the tazer would mess with the vvt
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Yeah that?s what the tuner thinks. Any idea why it may not log correctly? Very weird stuff going on with this car. Is it possible for the limiter to be installed incorrectly

I know for a few months i couldnt log long term fuel trims. No idea why. It read 0. Never updated before the issue, and now i can again even though i never updated. Could be your problem, just a weird bug
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Advanced Tuner
    'they' say that if the cam is a tooth off it will do that

read 124 or 125 no matter what you put in the tune

i would not know...

i use a degree wheel and a dial indicator when installing a cam
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Tuner in Training
    I have seen on the Challenger groups on Facebook more than once that Tazer developed issues in the ECM.

Advanced Tuner
    how can a device that is incapable of changing anything in the ECM change anything in the ECM?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    how can a device that is incapable of changing anything in the ECM change anything in the ECM?
    You might be on to something. I don't know much about a Tazer. Someone posted on a forum:

"Tazer has nothing to do with PCM. It can change the configuration on the BCM but can't change anything on a locked or unlocked PCM. BTW a new firmware is out which now lets the tazer read codes from other modules. You can now read the BCM and save the configuration (like alfa) if you hook it up to a laptop. One feature (sent them a suggestion) that would be nice is to have the tazer enable shipping mode (for years and trim levels that don't have this already) so when the car sits over winter the battery drain is reduced."

Advanced Tuner
    tazer can cause havoc in the bcm and has fried some RF modules but it does not change the pcm

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    tazer can cause havoc in the bcm and has fried some RF modules but it does not change the pcm
    Yes, I also had a Diablo on the car prior to HP tuners and I have been informed that is a bad mix as well as the Diablo does not clear checksums according to my tuner. All I want to know is why my emissions monitors won?t come on after any drive cycle and why the camshaft is not able to be adjusted with the VVT limiter installed. My mechanic is very confident that everything is installed correctly mechanically and I have been told the car needs to we wiped with Witech before I can proceed with anymore tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    i would ask him for his notes from when he degreed the cam

Advanced Tuner
    Did you by chance have a Trinity 2 installed, along with a Tazer, and then connected your HP Tuners block by using an ODB-2 splitter... but also left the Trinity 2 connected so you could view several parameters on it's display through one of its layouts?
    Last edited by Spray-Cam Hell-Ram; 1 Week Ago at 11:04 AM.
    2016 Ram CCSB Forged NA 396ci Stroker
    +2.5cc Flat/Dome Mahle Power-Pak Forged Pistons w/13.2/1 CR on E85
    Forged Manley 4.05" Stroke Crank/Speed Master Valvetrain
    Race Ported Eagles/Titanium 2.12"/Titanium 1.62" Valves
    Custom Cam 235/249 .629/.629 111LSA 110ICL+1Adv
    Ported Holley Hi-Ram Intake/NXpress Hi-Ram NO2 Plate kit w/250 Shot(4 sec)
    Tx Spd 2" Long Tubes/Active Viper Hood/2-Step
    ATI SD w/15% UD/Dual 450 Pumps/Fuel Cell in Bed/Demon 700cc Inj
    3800 stall/Det Tru-Trac/410 Gears