Thread: Wont build boost

Tuner in Training

Wont build boost

I have a 04 5.3 with a 4l80 in an 86 C10. Sloppy 2 cam, single Gt45, DW 1000cc injectors, adjustable regulator, 2 bar map. Disconnect the turbo and throttle opens up to 100% at WOT, and I can hear the Turbo. Turbo hooked up and throttle won't open past 40% at WOT, I can barely hear the turbo spinning. I'm not looking for a hand out but just a point in the right direction. Is this in my tune or something mechanical? My vacuum gauge won't go to 0 so they match. have a BOV and wastegate. Double checked my wastegate and its not opening from exhaust back pressure. it runs good NA so I believe it would have enough exhaust pressure to spin the turbo. The turbo shaft does not have any play and spins easy. I can see it spinning in park. Pulled the compressor side off and everything looks good there too. All cylinders are firing and no abnormal codes that would put it in limp mode. On this data log it ran well but sputtered when on way to gas station, wanted to build boost but was that low on gas. Put 10 gallons of 93 in and right back to shit. Really hope this is something dumb I missed.

20240519 Strated good then got gas again.hpl
    20240516 Increase timing_pulled fuel.hpt

Check out your Engine > Torque Management tab. How did all those tables end up with numbers WAY bigger than the max allowed? Even ETC TPS Max.

Tuner in Training
    I was told to max all of that out so no spark was pulled to control torque.

Tuner in Training
    Never looked in that table, should I make that a 0?

Tuner in Training
    And new AC Delco throttle body. I bought because I thought it was the problem, same results.

The brake tq mngt needs to be set to 0.

Minor thing, your open loop EQ ratio needs to be set to 1.00 for operating temp, you are tuning to stoich for outside of boost, your data will be wrong. Also the VE seems way too fat with how large those injectors are.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfriz View Post
    I was told to max all of that out so no spark was pulled to control torque.
    'Max all of it out' means put in the biggest number the table allows, NOT put in a number three times bigger than what the table allows.

I've seen some weird crap happen when people go to the 2 or 3 bar OS's. The numbers go from the max of 640 to over 1,000 for whatever reason. Seen that on many tune files on here.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the input. I know the VE is off, I did the idle tune and then just made sure it was running rich. Plan was once I could start to get into boost, keeping it low at 10psi, I was going to dial it in. I didn't see my AFR drop below 10 so I didn't think I was flooding it.

Tuner in Training
    Whatever video I decided to follow that day said to just put in an arbitrary number that would max it out. I will take them back down if doing it this way will cause a problem.

It's easier to help someone who knows nothing but is aware that they know nothing, than it is to help someone who knows a whole bunch of shit that's all wrong.

Tuner in Training
    If you are referring to me as the latter I have attempted to learn this over the last 6 months through various venues. Even did Evan's tuning school for a month or two. There is a lot of information out there, and on most forums or FB, you get beat up if you don't ask Dr Google before posting. So don't ask and get told there is a ton of information on Google and YouTube, try google and YouTube to be told that's not an appropriate place to learn.

If you are referring to me as the latter I have attempted to learn this over the last 6 months through various venues. Even did Evan's tuning school for a month or two. There is a lot of information out there, and on most forums or FB, you get beat up if you don't ask Dr Google before posting. So don't ask and get told there is a ton of information on Google and YouTube, try google and YouTube to be told that's not an appropriate place to learn.
    There is nothing wrong with trying to learn on your own but, trust and verify the info. When guys like this point out the correction I believe it's best to stay humble and say thanks.

When I first started, I fat fingered one of the max torque limits by one digit, max is supposed to be 640 and I put 641 in the table. The result was no traction control and me spending about 6 hours of drive/tune time trying to figure out how we are gonna get this thing to get something that resembled traction. When I learned how to look at all the recent changes and stumbled across the digit error, it was a stark reminder to pay attention to the buttons you are pressing and why.

Often times these guys will seem short with you but I believe it's mostly due to they have answered these types of questions a zillion times due to the fact the Gen 3 platform is now more than 25 years old and I assume most of these very knowledgeable guys have long ago moved onto mostly Gen 4 and 5 stuff years ago.

Have fun with your new toy!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    yes but also..the brake signal needs to be hooked up in swaps. Without it TCC lockup will be screwy... like unlock until 5 % or more.

the brake signal is opposite to what you would think. It needs power while NOT on the brake.

I'll bet in this guys situation it will make boost in reverse. That would be scary to try.. lol
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the input, I make the suggested changes and no problem jumping into boost today.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you for the input,
    get a data log and post it up so we can see what else can be helped with.

Tuner in Training
    This the only one I saved today, and it was a run that the intake separated so only 1x into boost. I realized I was logging the 1 BAR too so that was fixed. I will start to dial my AFR in now. Was shooting for 14 when no boost and 11-12 when in boost.

20240521 boost, trans temp added, changed to 2 bar.hpl