Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with first start

Please post your after-segment-swap file. Sometimes weird stuff happens when swapping one with a COS applied.

screenshot.18-05-2024 21.22.28.png

Tuner in Training
    BASE EDIT SEGMENT SWAPPED.hpt

I have not tried to run this one yet, so I am unsure if it was successful. I will search for a secondary source of the 5v signal for the TPS soon, too.

You cannot have P0101-103 set to No Error, those tests must run AND FAIL for it to be in SD. If there's no MAF and SD is disallowed, = no run.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You cannot have P0101-103 set to No Error, those tests must run AND FAIL for it to be in SD. If there's no MAF and SD is disallowed, = no run.
    Roger that. I will set them back to MIL after first

Tuner in Training
    wont start1.hpl

I've now jumped the 5v for the TPS and get pretty close to 100% with the sensor. It will need some adjusting but this is way better than before. here's the catch, it wont start. The calibration file is unchanged, and I am not getting any more DTC's. I'm not sure where to even look at this point. I find it weird that it ran long enough yesterday to get up to 174 degrees and then stall, and hasn't restarted since.

MAP is at 40 kPa before cranking, that should be reading normal atmosphere (85 - 100 depending on altitude). What is your MAP sensor part number, has it been changed from stock? Have you verified the pinout?

Where did you take the 5v from? Do you know for sure that all the other 3-wire sensors were reading correctly? Is the PCM flashed with that exact file from post #22, no changes? No changes other than the MAF DTCs as far as you know? Which is the last file that it ran with?

Tuner in Training
    MAP is at 40 kPa before cranking, that should be reading normal atmosphere (85 - 100 depending on altitude). What is your MAP sensor part number, has it been changed from stock? Have you verified the pinout?

Where did you take the 5v from? Do you know for sure that all the other 3-wire sensors were reading correctly? Is the PCM flashed with that exact file from post #22, no changes? No changes other than the MAF DTCs as far as you know? Which is the last file that it ran with?
    I tapped into pin 45, which is fuel tank pressure reference 5v. I did not verify the other sensors.

I will double check the pinout on the map. I screwed up and ordered the harness for the wrong map sensor, and had to change the plug. I may not have put the pins in the proper locations. The map is stock for the TBSS intake, part number 19418808.

Yes, the file from post 22, with the updated MAF DTC?s only.

With no MAF, the MAP is really important.

You need to check the 5v feeds at all the other sensors you can get to. Like I said, they're shared between multiple sensors. A problem found at one of them is good reason to make sure it didn't affect the others.

Tuner in Training
    barely running.hpl

Repinned the MAP. I clearly misread the diagram

Now it only runs when my foot is in it a smidge and instantly dies if I let off. Definitely getting closer.

screenshot.19-05-2024 15.05.47.png

Do you have a vacuum tester so you can check MAP operation, independent of the engine running?

Tuner in Training
    Are you predicting a vacuum leak? I?m confused as to what your asking me to check for.

KOEO, apply vacuum to the MAP sensor while watching it in the scanner. Like you'd do to sweep a TPS. Make sure the scanner reading matches the gauge at various points.

The log shows it's idling at one inch of vacuum - or 97 kPa vs 101 kPa normal atmo. Need to find out if that's real, or a MAP sensor reporting the wrong voltage. Normal idle vacuum will be somewhere between 60-35 kPa MAP (10-20") depending on how rowdy the camshaft is.

Tuner in Training
    KOEO, apply vacuum to the MAP sensor while watching it in the scanner. Like you'd do to sweep a TPS. Make sure the scanner reading matches the gauge at various points.

The log shows its idling at one inch of vacuum - or 97 kPa vs 101 kPa normal atmo. Need to find out if that's real, or a MAP sensor reporting the wrong voltage. Normal idle vacuum will be somewhere between 60-35 kPa MAP (10-20") depending on how rowdy the camshaft is.
    KOEO: 100-101 kPa
    15hg applied to sensor: 50 kPa

Engine will NOT start without input from the throttle pedal, and will not stay running with the TPS under 10%.

IAC counts are at 196, even with the idle airflow CRANKED.

And at 5 inHg it read about 83 kPa, and 10" = 66, 20" = 32?

I'm being a pain about this because if the MAP sensor is reporting real numbers the next step is tearing it down to check the cam timing/install.

Tuner in Training
    And at 5 inHg it read about 83 kPa, and 10" = 66, 20" = 32?
    Yes.

There's no other checks I can do to before pulling the front of the motor apart? I went "Dot to Dot" and used stock gears with a new GM chain, which is supposedly the most failproof way to install a cam in these things. Is there a way to verify the cam and crank angles?

Tuner in Training
    438083626_824586009115696_3599845377903848371_n.jpg

Also, what is up with all these DTC's? I shut off the fuel one, but the MAF and Transmission ones have me wondering if there is something wrong in the tune.

Did you ever post the file you took the 80E segments from? Do you have the trans wired up to match the diagrams for whatever vehicle those segments came from?

Are you still using all of everything from the donor vehicle, like BCM, ABS, cats/downstream O2s, etc? Or has nobody gotten around to setting up this file yet to be ready for a 'first start' in a swap?