Thread: a lttle help , not as familliar with Fords

a lttle help , not as familliar with Fords

My brother in law picked up a 99 mustang SVT Cobra 5 speed that someone tried to add a turbo, The fueling was all messed up, it would fire and only run for about 3-4 min and then would die due to over richness. The only way it would re fire is with a full throttle flood clear, but it would fire and the die again. It would not stay running. I scanned the ecu and rest everything back to stock, only changing injector info. now the engine runs at idle for a good 15-20 min but once the engine warms up to temp it goes rich and dies. Again only re starts under full throttle clear out, and it stays running till throttle is blipped and then dies.

I am Just looking to get it to stay running and I am not as good with Ford, We are just trying to get the car to run good enough to flip it. I also can't get the data log to read. but I will attach the current tune. If I can get any help it would be appreciated. Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoolnsquirrels View Post
    My brother in law picked up a 99 mustang SVT Cobra 5 speed that someone tried to add a turbo, The fueling was all messed up, it would fire and only run for about 3-4 min and then would die due to over richness. The only way it would re fire is with a full throttle flood clear, but it would fire and the die again. It would not stay running. I scanned the ecu and rest everything back to stock, only changing injector info. now the engine runs at idle for a good 15-20 min but once the engine warms up to temp it goes rich and dies. Again only re starts under full throttle clear out, and it stays running till throttle is blipped and then dies.

I am Just looking to get it to stay running and I am not as good with Ford, We are just trying to get the car to run good enough to flip it. I also can't get the data log to read. but I will attach the current tune. If I can get any help it would be appreciated. Thank you
    first thing is make sure your injector data is correct, the next thing on these older fords you will need to force open loop tuning, so that you can adjust the maf transfer function. Turn off adaptive learning, turn off LTFT, and i believe should be everything. that should force open loop. SCT process is a little different but same principal, and adjust MAF Transfer Function.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoolnsquirrels View Post

My first question is.. can you keep it running if you open the throttle a little instead of leaving it at idle?

Likely the idle airflow is too far off. It will adjust only a certain amount from whats in the idle airflow tables, and after a certain amount of time, it will give up, and that's likely whats causing the issue.

Closed loop fuel control will do the same thing. It goes in closed loop, corrects as much as is allowed, and if it sits on the maximum correction for long enough, it will default back to open loop.

Best thing to do for that is stick a wideband in, force it into open loop, and see where the fueling is. If its way off, and your injector data is correct, you need to start adjusting the MAF.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC