Thread: Big Turbo Sizing and Parameter Identification 2.0T TSI

Potential Tuner

Big Turbo Sizing and Parameter Identification 2.0T TSI

Hello,
    I just finished rebuilding my MK6 GTI. Forged Internals, Big Turbo GTX2971R, 4 Port Water/Meth, 3" Custom Intake, High Flow Injectors, Turbo Back. I have been working on building up my stock tune file to attempt to reach higher power levels.

I have dialed in the compressor efficiency map and now working on lining up compressor speed map but having some difficulty here and there (all over really). So far the adjustments I've made are to; Airflow>General>MAF Calibration (Airflow vs. Period), Airflow>Speed Density>Dynamic Airflow>Manifold/Pre-Throttle Volumes (does this mean I disable prediction), Airflow>Turbocharger>Compressor Model>Efficiency (working on Speed as well need a little more info.), Torque Model>Indicated Torque>Normalized Torque is set but roughly (not exactly sure what this number should be thus far or in what order to dial everything in to.)

Moving on I'm stuck with several other parameters... Here is a summary of what parameters and values I'm trying to dial in;

Airflow>General>Torque Based>Air Charge Conversion (not sure how to adjust this number accordingly)

Airflow>General>Desired Airflow>Minimum Desired Load % (how much should this be increased and how to calculate that value for Base and Overrun),

Airflow>General>Charge Motion>Charge Valve Threshold 100% (Maximum Desired Load Charge Motion Valve Threshold: This is the minimum value of the charge motion valve before the charge motion tables are used for load control. Can anyone explain what this is referring to?)

Airflow>General>Max. Desired Load Overtemperature set to 85% (How can I determine an adjusted value for this parameter.)

Airflow>Electronic Throttle>Throttle Body Model>Airflow % (only reaching 50%? Can anyone explain?)

Airflow>Pressure Control>Throttle Inlet Pressure>Min. Calibrated Density & TIP Base % (do either of these parameters have anything to do with boost pressure? TIP Base is from 15% to 18%? How would these be determined? And what are they representing?)

Airflow>Turbocharger>Compressor Model>Speed (less rpms for my bigger turbo, can I just transfer the speed line numbers from the Garrett Compressor Map on their website? 65,000 rpm to 150,000 rpm it reads, can these #'s be inputted directly from top left to bottom right? Or is there more to it?)

Airflow>Turbocharger>Wastegate Filtering (can anyone explain this to me? The positive threshold is currently @ 5.071 psi/sec. does this mean your building boost at this rate?)

Airflow>Turbocharger>Turbine>Normalized Airflow & Efficiency (how are these numbers relative to the compressor side numbers? What can I base these numbers off of?

Fuel>General>Stoichiometry>Stoic. Min.& Max Lambda (should this be lined up with A/F ratio map?)
    Fuel>General>DI Injector Control>PW Minimum is set to .350ms, how can I find the adjustment for this, I'm running bigger injectors?)
    Fuel>General>Homogeneous>Min. & Max.Lambda (what is homogeneous operation? when is this lambda being implemented? Is it comparable to any other lambda parameters?)

Fuel>General>Split Injection>Max. Torque % @ Max. RPM (is this when fuel is injected on intake and compression stroke? How to determine max. torque allowed @ max. rpm?)

Fuel>Oxygen Sensors>LTFT (how to determine min. & max.)
    Fuel>Open Loop/Base>After-Start Base (this is desired lambda after start, is this where base a/f ratio should be? Does Power Enrichment>Driver Demand a/f ratio used to boost after start base a/f ratio? What do # of injections have to do with these numbers?)

Fuel>Temp. Control>Component Protection>Base & Charge Motion (how should these lambda numbers compare to open loop or driver demand lambda numbers? what is difference between Base and Charge Motion? What exactly is charge motion?)

Fuel>Cutoff/DFCO>Re-Enable Drive & Min. Lambda (what are these parameters referring to? How should they be set?)
    Fuel>Transient>Acceleration Delta Fuel Threshold (Can anyone explain what this means when referring to transients? It says "the change in fuel load before transient acceleration is applied. what does this mean?)

Torque Model>Indicated Torque>Moment of Inertia set @ .0688 to keep the inertia of the engine constant, how to adjust this value accurately? Where does this value come from?)

Torque Model>Indicated Torque>Normalized Torque (represents 100% engine torque point? Is this the torque number to be achieved?)
    Torque Model>Reference Conditions>Torque to Load (This converts a desired indicated torque to a desired relative air load. How do you adjust these values? Can someone explain this parameter to me?)

Torque Model>Fuel Effects>Lambda Efficiency (should column axis be altered to match base lambda numbers or driver demand lambda numbers or is this independent of other lambda maps? Need clarification here, please.)

Torque Model>Monitoring>Torque>Normalized Torque (should this number mirror the Indicated>Normalized Torque Number or be more than that value?)
    Torque Model>Internal Torque>Min. Factor DCFO @ 111% (can anyone explain this one as well? how to adjust this map?)

Torque Managment>General>Desired Torque>Accessory Factor % (Currently @ 0% wondering what exactly this number could look like, based off of what?)

Torque Managment>Driver Demand>Normal>Low Speed Variation 0-1 (Driver Demand Normal Mode Low Speed, Variant 0: Engine torque request from the driver during normal mode with low vehicle speed. Variant 0. I see toque numbers starting at 125 ft/lbs ranging up to 425 ft/lbs, what can I base these numbers off of? I see RPM vs. APP% but how can one know what torque value to start with, estimate for the middle area and where to end it? Is it directly reflecting the Normalized Torque number?)

Thank you to anyone who reads this post! Looking forward to getting this build back on the road.
    *If anyone is willing to help me out, I am willing to compensate them. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by mk6gti88; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:06 PM.

Potential Tuner
    So, there are a lot of things in here I need to go back through and read and I have some of the same questions, but I'll answer the things I have at least some knowledge of.

LTFT's should generally be within 10% either direction (so 0.9 to 1.1). The closer to zero the better, but I've never seen a perfect LTFT.

Fuel>Open Loop/Base>After-Start Base -> This is basically just what AFR the ECU is shooting for based on base air flow values (Intake track (MAF calibration), manifold volume, and MAP values are basics). The ECU ignores the upstream oxygen sensor for adjusting fuel trims during open loop operation. If you set this for something other than 14.7 (or 1.0, I don't remember if this field is lambda or if it's an AFR value and I'm not able to look at the software right now) then the ECU will shoot for the fuel to make the engine run rich or lean based on baseline defined air values described before.

Fuel>General>DI Injector Control>PW Minimum -> You should have gotten a data sheet with the injectors that define the minimum pulse width and pulse duration values for your injectors. The default value is likely too long for your injectors if you have larger injectors. If the injectors flow more, then they will need to pulse for a shorter amount of time than the factory injectors in order to not run too rich.

A lot of these tables are also based on percentages of load, not actual torque numbers. There are a few places that torque numbers can be set, but otherwise it's generally load by percentage, which can be set above 100% to achieve a higher requested boost value (I believe).

I'm still learning this software and getting more acquainted with these ECUs and load based tuning, so some of the above may not be completely accurate, but it is my current understanding. Hopefully this helps at least some.