Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU With "y" VIN and Serial

Potential Tuner

ECU With "y" VIN and Serial

Good Morning All

New to the forum and HP Tuners.

I have a 1998 LS1 W/4L60E swapped into a 1985 Camaro Z28. I am using an Ebay Harness that was for 99+ (I.e. NOT re-pinned to use the original 98 ECU).

My current ECU is a P01 ECM with operating system 12212156, and was tuned by a third party.

This setup has run great for about 200 miles, but I decided that I'd like to be able to change Fan On/Off Temps and some other small settings, so I purchased an MPVI3 with 2 credits. When I got as far as writing a simple change, I found that my existing ECU shows a VIN with "yyyyyyyyyyyyy" (with small dots above the "Y"'s) and the same for the serial number. I get a License selector screen on HP Tuners, and "Do Not License" is my only checkbox.

I have researched this in other similar posts, and it seems that even if I hit "OK" on the dialog box, I won't be able to license this ECU in order to correct the problem, rather the only fix would be to flash the ECU back to GM Stock and then License and rewrite my existing file with Tuners.

I don't have access to a GM tool, so I'm thinking I may just purchase another stock ECU using my current backed up file. So now for the question: The only ECU I can source locally is a stock software version 1200411 out of a 2002 4.3L V6 4L60E Silverado. Will this ECU work from my existing tune being it is a Gen3 Red/Blue?

Thanks in advance. Screenshots below of my current ECU:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AsC...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ffr...ew?usp=sharing

Attach files here, not offsite. It's free and no one can ever take them offline except HPT themselves.

PCM is corrupt. You can try a dealer-type reflash with dealer-type tools (Tech2/MDI + SPS), nothing else is going to fix it and even that may not.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...programmed+vin

Much cheaper than all the stuff you'd need to buy to flash this one PCM this one time that may not even work, probably also cheaper than paying someone who already has the tools to flash the one you already have.

Senior Tuner
    The PCM was probably a reman. They all seem to have those VINs and serial numbers. Also if you put your location in your profile there could possibly be someone local to you that could help with a PCM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...programmed+vin

Much cheaper than all the stuff you'd need to buy to flash this one PCM this one time that may not even work, probably also cheaper than paying someone who already has the tools to flash the one you already have.

Thanks for the advice! Do you suspect that the 12200411 will work with my setup, given my current ECU's version is 12212156?

Thanks again.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    The PCM was probably a reman. They all seem to have those VINs and serial numbers. Also if you put your location in your profile there could possibly be someone local to you that could help with a PCM.
    Thanks - I have updated my Profile.. Appreciate the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Actaeon View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Do you suspect that the 12200411 will work with my setup, given my current ECU's version is 12212156?

Thanks again.
    12200411 is the Service Number, which describes the hardware inside. 12212156 is the operating system (the software that runs on the hardware). Any PCM with the service number of 12200411 can be programmed with (without bricking) any operating system from any other vehicle that used that same service number.

Senior Tuner
    What is the 1200411 PCM out of the 2002 4.3L V6 4L60E Silverado going to cost you?

Potential Tuner
    What is the 1200411 PCM out of the 2002 4.3L V6 4L60E Silverado going to cost you?
    The one I can source locally is 75$.

Potential Tuner
    12200411 is the Service Number, which describes the hardware inside. 12212156 is the operating system (the software that runs on the hardware). Any PCM with the service number of 12200411 can be programmed with (without bricking) any operating system from any other vehicle that used that same service number.
    Awesome - Thanks again for the info..

Senior Tuner
    That is way too much for a 0411 PMC. And be aware no matter what you do it is going to cost 4 credits to program it. Then you are spending $275.

Potential Tuner
    That is way too much for a 0411 PMC. And be aware no matter what you do it is going to cost 4 credits to program it. Then you are spending $275.
    Out of curiosity, why 4 credits instead of 2?

Because it's 2 credits for a PCM you've never written to before and 2 credits for the file you found someplace that came out of somebody else's PCM (yours is corrupt and can't be written to the new PCM).

Advanced Tuner
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/11607242151...mis&media=COPY

Here is one setup and ready to go for the swap.

Senior Tuner
    And he runs the risk of getting the same thing he has now. Looks like a reman. Better off getting one out of a vehicle.

Advanced Tuner
    0411's and all other LS style computers are $25 at the local part yards around me

There is always the possibility that the unknown 3rd party who originally tuned this used a non-commercial product like pcmhammer or lsdroid and just messed up the vin. It is not 100% sure that the file is actually corrupted to an unusable state.

So you're saying that someone edited the VIN/serial to intentionally make it look just like one that's got a problem?

screenshot.18-05-2024 00.29.04.png

1999 Camaro A4 1455335759.hpt

This one appears to be stock (https://tis2web.service.opel.com/tis2web/).

So you're saying that someone edited the VIN/serial to intentionally make it look just like one that's got a problem?

screenshot.18-05-2024 00.29.04.png

1999 Camaro A4 1455335759.hpt

This one appears to be stock (https://tis2web.service.opel.com/tis2web/).
    Not intentionally, but it would be a very easy mistake to make editing a bin with tunerpro, and especially if using an "almost" correct xdf.

Senior Tuner
    VIN, yes, serial, not likely. Like I said that is very common to see that on parts store remans.