Thread: L86 troubleshooting advice needed

Potential Tuner

L86 troubleshooting advice needed

I need a little help troubleshooting a L86 starting problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! The issue I thought might be the wiring of a Flaming River ignition but while cranking the motor if I spray starter fluid into the throttle body the engine starts and stays running, it just won't start on its own. I'm new to HPtuners so please don't beat me up too bad I have attached the program. Thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    Last time I saw this it was the cam signal due to the short pigtail on the front timing cover losing connection.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Last time I saw this it was the cam signal due to the short pigtail on the front timing cover losing connection.
    Wow, thanks for the quick suggestion! I will check it out first thing in the morning...

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mgh1472 View Post
    I need a little help troubleshooting a L86 starting problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! The issue I thought might be the wiring of a Flaming River ignition but while cranking the motor if I spray starter fluid into the throttle body the engine starts and stays running, it just won't start on its own. I'm new to HPtuners so please don't beat me up too bad I have attached the program. Thoughts?
    A log might be helpful. Even if it doesn't run.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner

It does run, but needs starter fluid to start

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    A log might be helpful. Even if it doesn't run.
    Thank you for the reply. Here is the log from start to running.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    You're not logging cam counts, but I can tell you straight up every single time I've seen this on a DI engine it was cam related. Even had one harness company pin it wrong and caused a ground leg in the ecm to fry. Just one of many reasons I only recommend swaptime for harnesses now. Re pinned that one and a new ecu and everything was good on that one. Then like I said before the short harness getting corrosion or coolant into it. That's actually REALLY common on the vette engine pulls. Usually an oscilloscope is the easiest to use if you have one. Otherwise just go by schematics and counts. That of course if it's indeed missing the cam. You'll want to log supply pressure and rail pressure too along with inj pulse widths.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC