Thread: Newbie - Where do I start?

Potential Tuner

Newbie - Where do I start?

Hi, I've been looking through the threads on this forum trying to find a starting point for someone just starting out learning how to tune with zero experience. For an old guy, I'm good with my hands and have a reasonably good grasp on EFI cars and computers.

I bought a 2014 Mustang GT 6r80 car that I want to start tuning myself. I use this car to compete in Sportsman ET bracket racing. The engine is stock and needs to remain stock except for a 93 octane tune. The suspension and drive train are going to be the only mods like upper and lower control arms, double adjustable shocks, converter & gear. I'm shooting for high 11s or a 12 flat ET and I drive this car to and from the track most of the time.

I've been using a tuning service and the car was coming along nicely until I recently changed the Circle D 4c converter to a 6c converter with a 40k-4200 stall. The problem is at part throttle acceleration. The car starts bucking and surging at a constant part throttle position under acceleration and this makes it difficult to control wheel speed in the burnout and driving when entering the Interstate and/or passing cars. My turner hasn't been able to figure out why it's doing this at part throttle and that's why I want to start tuning it myself.

If there's a thread for brand new tuners, it would sure help me flatten the learning curve.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advanced Tuner
    Starting with dialing in MAF and making small changes like idle rpm, pedal feel, and a number of other things but as for the stall... Couldnt help ya. Sounds weird