Thread: First tune critique

Tuner in Training

First tune critique

Hello. I'll take whatever feedback I can get on the condition my first tune. Good, bad, or ugly. This is my first pass at doing the VE and MAF tuning on my swap.

Setup: 91 Camaro RS
    18" Wheels, 2.73 stock gears
    2001 LQ4 rebuilt with stock crank, 317 heads
    2005 CTS-V cam and LS6 intake off of the same car
    Aeromotive 200LPH fuel pump w/ Corvette filter return. Stock fuel supply line with pressure gauge.
    42# Bosch injectors (used) and updated in tune (previously suggested)
    Speed Engineering Headers and dual 3" exhaust. No CATS.
    4L60E out of a 2006 Express van. Rebuilt by me.

I think I'm pretty close to call this VE and MAF tune complete. No timing adjustments made yet.

After driving this thing a little bit, I'm still frustrated by the lack of low-end torque. I'm planning to change the rear end to a posi unit with 3.42 gears.

I've still got a lot of research to do to get this transmission figured out. Quite a few issues with it but its drivable.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BigMc; 08-25-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Something is wrong if the VE has numbers as high as yours does. If the stock VE table barely reaches 100 with stock sized injectors, yours shouldn't ever see 120 with larger injectors. Likely something in the injector data.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

What injectors are they and where'd the data come from? Is that claimed 42lb-hr at 3-bar/43PSI? Cause the tune file has them at 52lb.

Have you verified the actual fuel pressure or just going by what the filter/reg is claimed to do?

Senior Tuner
    Maybe Mustang injectors purchased used.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...uidance-Please

Advanced Tuner
    I would expect the ve to be excessive considering the 14.68 stoich. The extent of the error tells me the injector data is wrong, probably 8-10% too much flow rate. Verify injector data and also fuel pressure. You may get better results setting the pe eq ratio flat across the board to something like 1.18 while wideband tuning. Also i would think you could get 1-2* extra spark out top on that setup for that last 5-10 hp.