Thread: RXP 300 Safe max RPM

Tuner in Training

RXP 300 Safe max RPM

What kind of free rev numbers is everyone seeing on 300 engines? I have a 2017 RXP 300 and am seeing 9050 when unhooked. I have my transient RPM set to 8300. I haven't been able to get past 8050 yet though so I must be missing something somewhere.

Don't hold the throttle when coming unhooked. 1000rpm overshoot points to not letting throttle off fast enough. No RPM limiter will be able to stop a motor spinning 8000 RPM from a significant overshoot when engine load just disappears.

Tuner in Training
    I'm defiantly not just holding it wide open everywhere. Even a steady 7k cruise across the bay with light chop will produce a flash to this rpm. I am just curious as to how high other people are seeing. I never logged how high it would flash before I started tuning it. It seems like the general consensus is 8400-8500 before you need retainers, but this is obviously a loaded number. The transient is set to 8300 so its only a 750 overshoot. When it was set to 8050 I was seeing about 8800 when un hooked after adjusting the timing at the top end of the table. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a normal amount of overshoot to expect.

Tuner in Training
    Stock the rev limiter is 8050 rpm but in the water full engine load 8150 +/- max on the dash
    On the trailer or when coming unhooked the real cut off is 1000 rpm more high
    My rev limiter is at 8500 RPM, on BUDS2 you can see the min/max RPM and i reach 9440 rpm

Tuner in Training
    Do you have retainers? I am planning on doing a set this winter but I want to make sure all the pieces stay where they belong until I get there.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMCNALLY86 View Post
    Do you have retainers? I am planning on doing a set this winter but I want to make sure all the pieces stay where they belong until I get there.
    If you dont pass 8500 RPM retainers are not necessary