Thread: 5.3 sap 6.0 Tuning and questions

Potential Tuner

5.3 sap 6.0 Tuning and questions

Good evening,
    First time posting here and this forum has been very helpful I appreciate all the information. I am hoping to get a little help with a few questions and clarification on a few things. Little back story of where we are my son is 19 very handy loves turning and always listening, learning and reading. He has a 2006 GMC 1500 it had the 5.3 in it, well the motor took a turn for the worst. So, he decided to do a 6.0 swap, found a 6.0 with fairly low miles and was going to do a few small things a run it. Well in the meantime he read and watched videos and decide he wants to build this motor. He stripped the motor and sent it to the machinist they took .020, set the crank, pistons and cam. He has done everything else damn near his self and somewhere north of 8,000 in it so far so paying for tuning is not an issue. He want to learn as he was making changes for the cam he noticed several things changed compared to another stock 5.3 tune like the spark table it seems out of wack.

Parts list
    6.0 Block
    BTR Truck norris cam (212/22x, .552/.552 @.050 107 LSA
    Texas Speed PRC 225 Heads
    Flat TOP Piston
    50lb Injectors Part number 12613412
    TBSS Intake 92MM
    Long Tube Headers
    Stock Stall For Now

We are tuning with the O2s the issue we were having was not wanting to idle at first and we started MAF tuning and got it to idle and idle shifting gears. then we started speed density tuning and lost the idle and then it started stalling going in gear. so, we went back to MAF tuning and have it idling again and doesn't stall going in gear. He just got a air/fuel gage for it to make things easier for us but we have not installed it yet.

Few questions
    Should I snag a copy of a 5.3 spark table and advance it in the idle or snag a 6.0 Spark table? His high octane table looks trashed it's the stock table. He said when he opened the ECM it looked like someone changed alot of stuff in it.
    As for the intake I'm not sure if he made changes in here or not. What needs to be switched to accommodate the larger intake? Should we snag a table airflow from a Trailblazer and would that be the MAF calibration table we use?
    Are the MAF tune and Speed density tune set up right? Could that have could the idle stalling and running through the gears stalling?
    Injectors is the fuel flow rate right or should we start at 50?

Being that this is so far off could we get someone to do a glance at everything else or should I just scrap this tune and find another stock with the same OS.

I will attach a short log and the tunes below. I realize the tables might be trashed and that's fine if i need to start over thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 6.0Mike; 07-24-2023 at 07:33 PM.

'Injector data' is lots more than just the flow rate. Here's your file with the correct data - assuming you have a returnless/non-referenced fuel system at 58psi.

Speed Density 4 - 12613412 injector data.hpt

Further reading:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...efined-version
    and
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...t-doesn-t-work (shows how the sausage is made)

Potential Tuner
    I hate to ask but what all needed to change because I have a few different tunes set up and need to change them across all tunes. Thank you for your help!!

Edit after reading through I think I found the 4 changes were there more elsewhere?
    Last edited by 6.0Mike; 07-24-2023 at 09:00 PM.

I didn't look at anything in your file other than injector data. Any MAF/VE tuning you've done up to now will have to be redone, since it will have that wrong injector stuff baked in.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you! Honestly, I figured I would be starting all over beings the injectors were off and the MAF Calibration, I'm sure. My plan is to pull a few tables from a trailblazer to match the intake would that be my next approach?

There aren't any 6.0 Trailblazers with Gen 3 PCMs, they're all E40 or E67 depending on year.

No. Just tune it the way it is.

Trying to frankenstein a tune together is just wasted time. Put stock 5.3 timing curves in it if you want as those are better than 6.0 curves and just tune it.

The computer doesn't really give a shit what intake you installed, it's your job to correct the airflow model for whatever parts are installed.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    There aren't any 6.0 Trailblazers with Gen 3 PCMs, they're all E40 or E67 depending on year.
    Should I copy over the data from the MAF

Potential Tuner
    I gotcha so take a 5.3 high and low octane and advance it slowly and look for knock then back it down a touch?

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0Mike View Post
    Should I copy over the data from the MAF
    Are you using a Gen 4 TBSS MAF and TBSS intake tube and TBSS airbox and TBSS filter element, all completely stock? The MAF curve is about nothing from the throttle body back, it's all about the tubing from the throttle body to the air filter. The Gen 4 MAF has two tables anyhow, and the axis labels are different from your Gen 3, the Gen 4 file wouldn't do you much good even if you had all the stock air intake plumbing.

As suggested earlier, you need to drop the idea of copying the tune from a different vehicle and just tune what you have, because nothing out there will be a match. You've changed too much stuff.

Potential Tuner
    I appreciate your help, and bear with me. i am new to all of this and a lot of it doesn't make sense just yet. Do I need to calibrate the MAF Calibration for the new sensor and intake. I will attach the calibration table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, you will need to tune both the MAF and VE. Collect error data (either trims or wideband), apply to tables, retest until it's +/- some acceptable amount.

Potential Tuner
    I have a question about the base running airflow. i am logging the desired idle air flow and my numbers seem high. They at around 25gps at idle does this seem right? looking at some other tunes they are around 8 to 14.