Thread: newbie first time ls swap need some guidance

Potential Tuner

newbie first time ls swap need some guidance

ok guys im jess new to this site and new to LS SWAPS . I have a 51 merc that i installed a 6.0 with cable throttle, trans is a 4l80, the computer is BLUE/RED connector. computer come off another ls that had a 700r hooked up to it.
    so i got my car running and driving, however its seems to be stuck in 2nd gear i believe limp mode? someone told me the computer needs to be programmed for the 4l80?
    if so i would like to see if anyone can guide me through the process. i did just buy a OBDlink LX not even sure if thats what i need to do the job. once agian i am new at this but would like to learn . thanks for any help.

Senior Tuner
    If you are not going to buy and use HP Tuners to program your PCM then you should go to this forum for programming help with your OBDlink LX cable.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jesslordz View Post
    new to LS SWAPS ...thanks for any help.
    do yourself a favor, find a local dyno tuner and have the car tuned.
    itll cost a big, but youll never have to worry about it again.

learning tuning and buying the hardware is good if youre going to be doing 10 of them this year. otherwise its a lot to learn and its so much easier to drop it off and get it tuned.

Potential Tuner
    Taking the car to someone else is out of the question, what's wrong with me wanting to learn? I already reprogram the computer to work with the 4l80 today and wired the back speed sensor to the red 20 and 21 pins and the front speed sensor to 22 and 23 pins. But thank you for your help
    Now I'm getting a P0704 code need to figure that out. Anyone have any ideas? The code is for a clutch switch. My car abviosly don't have a clutch.

If you want any help at all your going to have to post a data log and your current tune.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Senior Tuner
    Taking the car to someone else is out of the question, what's wrong with me wanting to learn? I already reprogram the computer to work with the 4l80 today and wired the back speed sensor to the red 20 and 21 pins and the front speed sensor to 22 and 23 pins. But thank you for your help
    Now I'm getting a P0704 code need to figure that out. Anyone have any ideas? The code is for a clutch switch. My car abviosly don't have a clutch.
    Well you obviously did something wrong with the 4L80 PCM programming because there would never be a P0704 code enabled in an A/T segment which is what you should be looking at in the calibration. Just turn it off. Exactly what are you using to edit? Tuner Pro and PCM Hammer with that OBDlink LX?

Advanced Tuner
    what's wrong with me wanting to learn? .
    there is nothign wrogn with learning.
    it is a vast amount of stuff to learn.
    i suggested taeking the vehicle to a tuner becuase it is doen in a day or two and then you dot have to worry about it. you can just enjoy it and move on to the next thing.
    that is all, nothing more than that.
    But without your tune, we cant see anything to have any idea what you need to work on.