Thread: New and need help

Potential Tuner

New and need help

I have a 2011 Tahoe 5.3l flex fuel 4x4 with a 4l80 transmission. I have a cold air intake and I have shorty headers with a full exhaust with no cats and no rear o2 sensors and an electric cutout befor the muffler. I?m very new to tuning and I found a few videos on small stuff to do myself but I?m not sure I?m doing it right. I?ve changed stuff and copied some stuff and deleted some stuff but don?t feel it?s right. Is there anyone that can look at my different tunes I?ve done and give me some pointers for a fueling tune and a power tune?

Tuner in Training
    I'm also new to the tuning game. not meaning to hijack, but figure two guys that need help, maybe someone will reply. I have a 2011 5.3 silverado, did a DoD delete cam and lifters, slightly bigger cam. Having a hell of a time moving to starting and tuning the truck because, well... I have no clue what I'm doing. I have a general understanding as I read and learn, but no where near confident in moving forward yet. I've watched the Goat Rope Garage tuning tutorial series probably 10 times now. And just this morning, I read something on HPTuners forum that is talking about tuning the MAF and it completely contradicts what GRG was talking about so now I'm just throwing my hands up in the air. I need a good place to go to learn about how to do simple tuning stuff with these 5.3s so I can get this damn truck rolling. Where? Thank you

Tuner in Training
    Wow, looked at the date of the first post I ever made... It's been 2 and a half years my truck has been sitting... ugh...

Senior Tuner
    I'd like to help, but I'm going to need you to post your file. Tahoe with a 4L80E?

Quote Originally Posted by The_new_guy View Post
    I have a 2011 Tahoe 5.3l flex fuel 4x4 with a 4l80 transmission. I have a cold air intake and I have shorty headers with a full exhaust with no cats and no rear o2 sensors and an electric cutout befor the muffler. I?m very new to tuning and I found a few videos on small stuff to do myself but I?m not sure I?m doing it right. I?ve changed stuff and copied some stuff and deleted some stuff but don?t feel it?s right. Is there anyone that can look at my different tunes I?ve done and give me some pointers for a fueling tune and a power tune? getting over it
    Maybe your truck is not suitable for the version you are using. You can try another version

Tuner
    For you new guys: This tuning stuff is like trying to do brain surgery from a book. HP tuners is powerful but has many mine fields. The big problem with tuning in my experience is there is no cause and effect chart or logic table to go along with the things you have the ability to change. If you are like me and have a one off hobby car that you would like to tune its hard to invest the time you need to be a good tuner. Instead use this forum to get help from really expert tuners like Blindsquirrel and ALVIN. These quys seem to live and speak this stuff and appear to have other resources beyond HP Tuners. They even answer questions in the middle of the night. How the auto industry and EPA have made Air Fuel and Spark so tangled is remarkable. Most of us will never be tuners. Use the heck out of the ones that are is my way.

Potential Tuner
    Attachment 132124Attachment 132125

sorry 6l80 trans idk how i hit 4
    lets see if i did anything right. this is my curent tune and my stock tune. sorry took so long to reply

Senior Tuner
    Links are broken.

Potential Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132139&d=1684855234

https://forum.hptuners.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132138&d=1684855211

lets see if this will work now sorry im not a computer guy,

Senior Tuner
    Good in some areas bad in others. There are a lot of changes that seem to have been made without understanding their effects. As far as those changes that have been made that won't add power:

- Set AFR back to factory.

- VCT spark is zeroed, but the VVT is still active. At least zero out the cam angles in that patch from 800-3400rpm x 0.16-0.56g.

- Too much in idle adaptive spark controls. Set it back to stock, or are you trying to give it a ghost cam sound?

- Shouldn't make Hi and Lo base spark identical. Give spark a buffer for knock. Verify no knock with a log.

- Minimum spark torque management has been zeroed at operating temp, but Spark is still enabled at TCS torque management. That doesn't track.

- Restore factory settings in Spark>Retard.

- No changes have been made to the airflow models. VVE will need adjusted for slight efficiency boost of downstream mods. MAF will likely need adjusted for the CAI. Do some logging and confirm fuel trims.

- Extreme cutoff is set too high. Try not to exceed 6150rpm until you've upgraded the springs and pushrods. I see cutoff vs gear has been lowered. I'm not following the logic there.

- DFCO disabled. Is that for just while you're tuning, or do you plan on leaving it that way? Should be left enabled.

- Full throttle shift speed should stay where it was. Raise the full throttle shift RPM's. Both conditions must be met. Right now you're still shifting at the factory setpoint. If the goal is to raise shift points it should be done with RPM because the system tracks the changes better if MPH is met well before RPM. Don't want a hanging shift.

- Modifications to Trans>Shift Timing>Torque adder are a little extreme. Try 15% reduction instead of 30%.

- What's the reasoning for torque converter apply/release settings? Don't disable lockup. All you'll be doing is wasting gas and heating up the transmission.

You have basically a factory engine with minor boltons. All you should have worried about was:
    - torque limiters
    - base spark tables
    - airflow tables
    - PE settings.
    If a change has been made outside those categories put it back to factory.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-23-2023 at 06:22 PM.